The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Dec 27, 2005, 05:53pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to fonzzy07
Lightbulb

Hey these are some questions that have come up many of them easy I'm sure so i thought I'd throw them out their. i am new and am trying to learn all I can about the rules so if you could also add a little explanation as to why the rule is the way it is, it would help me understand.
Thank you guys, You guys have already taught me alot
1. If the last part of a false double foul is a tech is it an alternation posetion throw in?????????????

2.I no that no electronical devices such as a telivision replay are allowed on the court, but what about at half time???

3. Does an indirect tec to a coach count as a team foul. So for example player 41 gets a tec that is a team foul but then since the coach gets an indirect his indirect is not a team foul rt?????

4. Does an intentional foul only occur during a live ball

5.if on a free throw being shot by A1 B1 fakes like he is going into the lane early and draws A2 into the lane is this a simotanious violation??????

6. A2 commits an illegal screen on B1 while A1 attempts to dribble by the screen, which is Team A's eight foul. Do I give B1 the bonus

7. When play is resumed with a throw in of free throw with less then 3 thenths of a second left a player may not gain controll and try for a feild goal???????

8. Is it a tec if A1 after throwing the ball in delays returing to the court?????

9. A throw in following simultanious personal fouls is determined by the location of the ball when the fouls occured?????

Thanks
Old Tue Dec 27, 2005, 07:08pm
Official Forum Member

Do you have current Rules & Case books? While we could answer your questions, you would probably learn more by trying to look them up yourself first, then ask here if you still can't find the answers.

Hint: Rules 4, 9 & 10 have most of what you're looking for
Old Tue Dec 27, 2005, 08:21pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to lukealex
Quote:
Originally posted by fonzzy07
Hey these are some questions that have come up many of them easy I'm sure so i thought I'd throw them out their. i am new and am trying to learn all I can about the rules so if you could also add a little explanation as to why the rule is the way it is, it would help me understand.
1. If the last part of a false double foul is a tech is it an alternation posetion throw in?????????????

No, penalize the fouls in the order they occured, the team that shoots the free throws for the T will get the ball at halfcourt. 4-19.9

2.I no that no electronical devices such as a telivision replay are allowed on the court, but what about at half time???

As far as I know replay is not allowed.

3. Does an indirect tec to a coach count as a team foul. So for example player 41 gets a tec that is a team foul but then since the coach gets an indirect his indirect is not a team foul rt?????

If 41 is bench personnel, then one bench T is assessed which counts toward team fouls and the coach gets one indirect T which does not count toward team fouls. 4.19.5e and 4.19.13 If 41 is not bench personnel, then the T is charged to him and counts toward team fouls. 4.19.5b and 4.19.13

4. Does an intentional foul only occur during a live ball

No. 4.19.3

5.if on a free throw being shot by A1 B1 fakes like he is going into the lane early and draws A2 into the lane is this a simotanious violation??????

No, violation on B1. Case book play 9.1.4 B is your play.

6. A2 commits an illegal screen on B1 while A1 attempts to dribble by the screen, which is Team A's eight foul. Do I give B1 the bonus

No, this is a change this year. Team B will get the ball for a throw in. 4.19.7 and 7.5.5

7. When play is resumed with a throw in of free throw with less then 3 thenths of a second left a player may not gain controll and try for a feild goal???????

A tap will still work

8. Is it a tec if A1 after throwing the ball in delays returing to the court?????

This has been changed to a violation. 9.3.2 and 10.3.3

9. A throw in following simultanious personal fouls is determined by the location of the ball when the fouls occured?????

Yes.

Thanks
Old Tue Dec 27, 2005, 08:40pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by lukealex
Quote:

As far as I know replay is not allowed.

If 41 is bench personnel, then one bench T is assessed which counts toward team fouls and the coach gets one indirect T which does not count toward team fouls. 4.19.5e and 4.19.13 If 41 is not bench personnel, then the T is charged to him and counts toward team fouls. 4.19.5b and 4.19.13

A tap will still work

This has been changed to a violation. 9.3.2 and 10.3.3

Yes.

2) Rules reference is R10-1-3. No, they can't use electronic devices at half-time.

4) The question said "player 41". A "player" can never be "bench personnel", as per R4-43-1,2. Indirect technical fouls never get charged to the bonus. Rule 4-8-2.

7) Rules reference is rule 5-2-5.

8) Whoa, you got it backwards, Luke. There has been no change in this one. It's still a technical foul to delay returning after being legally out-of-bounds, as per rule 10-3-3. It's a violation for a player to leave the court for an unauthorized reason, as per new rule 9-3-2.

9) Rules reference is rule 7-5-9.
Old Tue Dec 27, 2005, 08:44pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to fonzzy07
Thanxs for the help guys
Old Tue Dec 27, 2005, 08:59pm
Official Forum Member

A trick to knowing what counts towards team fouls is that an indirect foul charged to the coach is never itself an infraction. It is ALWAYS due to an infraction by another person. Even thought it is charged to two people, it is still a single infraction and only counts once towards the team total.
Old Tue Dec 27, 2005, 10:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Those look like questions from the NFHS exam.

Old Tue Dec 27, 2005, 10:07pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to lukealex
Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
4) The question said "player 41". A "player" can never be "bench personnel", as per R4-43-1,2. Indirect technical fouls never get charged to the bonus. Rule 4-8-2.

Yep, was trying to make sure it was clear if the T was directed toward 41 but the person was bench personnel.

8) Whoa, you got it backwards, Luke. There has been no change in this one. It's still a technical foul to delay returning after being legally out-of-bounds, as per rule 10-3-3. It's a violation for a player to leave the court for an unauthorized reason, as per new rule 9-3-2.

Woops, guess I was thinking backwards, sorry about that, thanks for correcting my mistake.

Old Wed Dec 28, 2005, 12:55am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
And, fonz, please slow down on the question marks. Leave some for your grandchildren.