Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Dec 24, 2005, 09:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by blewthat
just a quick comment

I have no desire to battle with anyone, way to much work to argue over things through this forum. But I posted my replies because I wanted the answers to be thought through a bit more, I wanted to point out that things were not as clear as the person was making them. By pointing that out I was hoping they would give me a better explanation. I was not trying to convince them, they can decided to be convinced if they want, I could care less. I appreciate everyone's comments and I enjoy exploring the rationales behind rules. If you do not enjoy the rationales, you do not need to post anything. This forum works a lot better if we refrain from attacking one another.
BT, the truth is at those of us here do not know the rationale. We can try to give you some reasons as to why it's written like it is but the truth is, we don't know.

You asked, "I cannot understand why the arrow should not just change as soon as ball is handed to thrower, seems it would be a lot more straightforward. Anyone have a good explanation?" Rules aren't meant to be "straightforward." Rules are meant to address the concerns of the rules makers that the game be as equitable as possible to both teams. Sometimes, that makes them a little more difficult to administer.

Believe me, no one is attacking you. Not even close to it. But when you argue every single point someone offers when you ask a question, it makes one wonder, "why bother?"

Welcome to the forum.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith