View Single Post
Old Fri Dec 23, 2005, 12:32pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Quote:
Originally posted by blewthat
this post has nothing to do with whether I like the rule, just trying to understand the rule and its reasoning, understanding the rule will help me remember it and enforce it correctly
The rule is what it is. I don't need to understand why it's written as it is to enforce it.
Tony, maybe you don't need to understand the "whys and wherefores" but some of us do better if we can fit each detail into a larger construct of theory. I sympathize with blewthat. My mind works the same way.

Ynfortunately, blewthat (wow, so much self-abnegation!), you're not going to get a reasonable rationale for each detail. Whoever wrote the rules originally, and whoever makes the changes is going to have a different view than you or I and there are going to be rules that dont make sense to you and me. One of the things I've had to learn is when to just shut up in a discussion. It's not a fun cup to drink, but there are a lot of good pragmatic reasons to learn how to swallow it. It's even more important at camp. Arguing with an evaluator is fatal. You can afford to ask more questions here, but even here there comes a point where it's fruitless.

I agree with you about the foul/violation on a throw-in, but until I'm on the rules committee, it's not gonna change to suit my situation. So I just memorized the rule as it is, and decided not to spend a lot of time feeling frustrated. I haven't gotten quite that far on fouls and violations during a free throw.