The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Dec 22, 2005, 10:39am
Official Forum Member

true story:
I coached my daughter's 3rd,4th, 5th and 6th grade teams and never had the problem like this until this one game.

after the league got going and started to have a little cash, they brought in refs for the games and took the heat off the coaches. For some reason the powers that be thought that the girls needed one one ref to call the game. (the court was about half size-I still can't believe that we played varsity on the court).

We had a lady ref who came in to manage the game. everyone thought this was good for the girls (you all know the reasons).
During the game, there was one player (opposing) who would wait until the ref had passed then the either punch, block or trip and roll over the other players.

During one fast break this player was pushing the offense player and actually shoved the player OOB. Again the ref didn't see it.

At this point I called time out and told the ref and the other coach to stop this player before she hurts someone. The ref said she didn't see it and the other coach said it is the ref's job. my assistant coach took it upon himself to correct the young lady and the fireworks started. Mom came out screaming at us for making her little girl cry and both of them left the court. Both the other team coach and the my assistant followed. the Ref started the game, I called a time out again because the other team didn't have a coach. (this is an instructional league)

We got everyone back and started playing again. At half time another ref came in for the next game and he was asked to help control the game by the first ref (Which I thought was a very good move on her part). Our little player was called for something and the new ref asked for the ball. She whipped it at him. He stopped the game and made her apologize in front of everyone before making her sit down.

My question would be what should have been done (other than having two refs from the begining.)

[Edited by RalphtDog on Dec 22nd, 2005 at 11:12 AM]
Old Thu Dec 22, 2005, 11:07am
In Memoriam

1) Put in formal complaint to the league about the actions of the opposing player/coach/team.
2) Accept that unless you get 2 officials and some support from the league, you could still have similar problems in the future. If you can't accept that, find another league that's better run than that one.
Old Thu Dec 22, 2005, 11:10am
Official Forum Member

Ralph,

I think you should stick to coaching and worry less about the officiating and league administration. Neither you or your assistant coach have any right to try to "correct" a player on the other team. Your assistant was WAY out of line.

Refs will miss calls occasionally, even if there are two (or three) of them on the floor. A woman is just as capable to officiate as a man so I don't even know why you brought the "lady ref" issue into your post.

Z
Old Thu Dec 22, 2005, 11:20am
Official Forum Member

I would not have made "your little player" apologize, but she would not have finished the game as a player either.

If the other team has a player doing something that unsportsmanlike, then your players need to do what they can to survive the game and not get hurt. I'd send a report to whoever runs the league and ask them to come witness their next game. No coach should attempt to "deal" with an opposing player or coach. Training league or not, friends or not, it's just not your place to do it. If the league director doesn't help with this problem, then you should find another league to play in.
Old Thu Dec 22, 2005, 11:22am
Official Forum Member

My concern that this player was out of control and one of my players was going to get hurt. I have had my daughter get injured on the court, (broken wrist- two seperate times -broke both at one time) and I am over protective. As a coach in an instructional league I want the kids to learn the correct way and to trust the refs. I am not coaching now and will probablly not coach again.

I am trully intereseted in learning how to be a ref. that is why I ask the questions I do.

Perhaps I should have left the lady part out.
Old Thu Dec 22, 2005, 11:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by zebraman
Ralph,

I think you should stick to coaching and worry less about the officiating and league administration. Neither you or your assistant coach have any right to try to "correct" a player on the other team. Your assistant was WAY out of line.

Refs will miss calls occasionally, even if there are two (or three) of them on the floor. A woman is just as capable to officiate as a man so I don't even know why you brought the "lady ref" issue into your post.

Z
I disagree. At this age, the focus should be on teaching and having fun, not competition. If one player is obviously out of line, the ref isn't seeing it, and the other coach is unwilling to deal with it, then the head coach has an obligation to get involved. He is his team's best and most appropriate advocate.

Yes, the assistant was out of line.
Old Thu Dec 22, 2005, 11:29am
Official Forum Member

One last thing, I agree that the assistant was out of line. I had him run laps . This was last year, my daughter is now playing 7th grade ball (with 2 refs per game).

The league was made aware of the problem and didn't deal with it. We were done with the league shortly after that.

thanks for the input.
Old Thu Dec 22, 2005, 01:37pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
When I'm working alone, I appreciate a coach talking to me politely about a situation. I'll watch for that kind of rough stuff more closely, even to the point of missing a violation if necessary. I think bringing in the other coach was a mistake. You have to let the ref handle that end of things. And if she (or he)doesn't do that, report the whole thing to the league. You might also have instructed your players to remain in the sight of the ref, so that the little wrestler couldn't have been out of sight. Although I recognize that players that young might have trouble pulling that off.