The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 14, 2005, 01:43am
We don't rent pigs

than a coach that knows nothing is a coach that thinks he knows something. Tonight before the game, chatting with girls varsity coaches, mention was made of the rule changes this year. Assistant remarked that he saw both the new rules called in one game. "Oh," I say, "which two would that be?" He said that he saw the violation for a player going out of bounds for unauthorized reason and also
saw a coach yell "Foul! Foul!" followed by the intentional call. "Oh," I say, "that was a rule change this year?" "Yep, now when a coach yells 'Foul!' it's an automatic intentional." I just said, "Hmmm."

WHERE IN THE WORLD DID HE GET THE IDEA THAT THIS WAS A RULE, LET ALONE A NEW RULE THIS YEAR???

The good news is that apparently he read the points of emphasis, perhaps? The bad news is that apparently he managed to turn this one 180 degrees in his mind.

'05-'06 POE 3. B. ....a coach who yells "Foul!' instructions to his or her team does not mean the ensuing foul is "automatically" an intentional foul....

Lonesome Dove
Old Wed Dec 14, 2005, 02:46am
M.A.S.H.

Even though it was addressed, I've noticed that coaches are now using signal words to foul. As I recall, one team uses "Silver."
Old Wed Dec 14, 2005, 02:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by just another ref
than a coach that knows nothing is a coach that thinks he knows something. Tonight before the game, chatting with girls varsity coaches, mention was made of the rule changes this year. Assistant remarked that he saw both the new rules called in one game. "Oh," I say, "which two would that be?" He said that he saw the violation for a player going out of bounds for unauthorized reason and also
saw a coach yell "Foul! Foul!" followed by the intentional call. "Oh," I say, "that was a rule change this year?" "Yep, now when a coach yells 'Foul!' it's an automatic intentional." I just said, "Hmmm."

WHERE IN THE WORLD DID HE GET THE IDEA THAT THIS WAS A RULE, LET ALONE A NEW RULE THIS YEAR???

The good news is that apparently he read the points of emphasis, perhaps? The bad news is that apparently he managed to turn this one 180 degrees in his mind.

'05-'06 POE 3. B. ....a coach who yells "Foul!' instructions to his or her team does not mean the ensuing foul is "automatically" an intentional foul....

The NFHS is the one which has done the 180 here. A few years ago, 2000-01 I believe, the NFHS put out a comment that the coach yelling to foul WAS an indicator of an intentional foul.

This season they reversed their stance.
Old Wed Dec 14, 2005, 11:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tjones1
Even though it was addressed, I've noticed that coaches are now using signal words to foul. As I recall, one team uses "Silver."
True, I've heard "red", "black", "go for the ball", "we need it". I'm sure there have been others but these stick out.
Old Wed Dec 14, 2005, 01:15pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisSportsFan
Quote:
Originally posted by tjones1
True, I've heard "red", "black", "go for the ball", "we need it". I'm sure there have been others but these stick out.
The classic around here is "Bananas! Bananas!" ALthough i think the coach who used that one has retired.
Old Wed Dec 14, 2005, 09:14pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Cool

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
The classic around here is "Bananas! Bananas!" ALthough i think the coach who used that one has retired.
You're right Juulie. Every time he yelled that it made me lav out loud.

That's an inside joke for Juulie.
Old Wed Dec 14, 2005, 09:44pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

[QUOTE]Originally posted by just another ref
[B]than a coach that knows nothing is a coach that thinks he knows something.
__________________________________________________ _________

Wrong! The only thing more dangerous is a mother of 5/6 grade girl with a mouth like a howler monkey in a very small gym who thinks she knows something but knows nothing. Never underestimate that maternal instinct. She's a dangerous beast I tell you! A beast!