The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jul 03, 2006, 10:00pm
Official Forum Member

Originally Posted by ace
"Since I've graduated to calling varsity games on a regular basis I find my sweet trigger has gotten harder to fire."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
He's talking about his own personal tolerance level, not a technical foul.

Why would you be nervous anyway if someone had a pet name for a "T"?
Is he? I really didn't know what he was referring to; "sweet trigger" sounded like a nickname for a gun, like "Old Betsy" or the "Peacemaker" or something else goofy like that. And "to fire" demonstrates an action on his part...to fire his T gun?? Plus it sounds like since moving up to varsity perhaps he's a bit intimidated..."I find my sweet trigger has gotten harder to fire". Does that mean it's easier to "fire" away at a lower level coach? That varsity coaches won't tolerate the firing? Again, I don't know...what does he mean? I think only Ace can answer that.

As for the nervousness, anytime a person in a position of authority (e.g., a sports official) feels a need to draw attention to him or herself with something like a cute nickname, it makes me wonder either about his/her motives or sense of security. If you officiate to be noticed, you're much more likely to make questionable or iffy calls. Quick or excessive T's, looking for obscure calls to demonstrate a superior knowledge of the rules, theatrical or demonstrative mechanics on a routine basis (i.e., when not necessary to sell a call), creation of cool personna, etc...those characteristics in a partner make me nervous.

A good example from when I called in Florida a few years ago. There was a father-son combo who worked in our association. The father was a mediocre official at best, but he loved being the center of attention. He would probably average 15-20 T's in a normal 20 game HS varsity season. After calling a T he would be very self-righteous, proclaiming that he didn't want to call the T, but he really had no choice. Yet I can't recall a single T that he called that needed to be called. Coaches hated to have him call their games, and partners hated working with him. He had to be noticed. He was a very insecure man.

His son, 19 years old at the time, had the potential to be a very good official, except that he looked to his father as a role model. When the son could be kept away from the dad for a few weeks at a time, he would listen to more grounded officials and begin to develop good habits. But one game with dad (or one other similar official in the assoc) and all the good habits would evaporate. There was one small town that had produced 5 state champions in about a 10-12 year period. Very good, very knowledgeable, very vocal fans...I loved calling there. For some reason, the son was assigned 4-5 games there over about a 3-week period. The fans there would ride him mercilessly because he made too many hard-to-understand calls and drew attention to himself. Toward the end of the 3-week run I had a game with him there. I was talking with him before our game and he said he had developed a cheering section there, that they really liked him. He needed approval and to be liked above all else...just like his dad in the long run. He made me nervous because I never knew what he was going to do.

What does have to do with "sweet trigger"? Sounds to me like he may be a guy who needs to be seen and recognized as something special. Just makes me nervous.

Last edited by Corndog89; Mon Jul 03, 2006 at 10:04pm.
Old Tue Jul 04, 2006, 04:12am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corndog89
I think only Ace can answer that.

As for the nervousness, anytime a person in a position of authority (e.g., a sports official) feels a need to draw attention to him or herself with something like a cute nickname, it makes me wonder either about his/her motives or sense of security. If you officiate to be noticed, you're much more likely to make questionable or iffy calls. Quick or excessive T's, looking for obscure calls to demonstrate a superior knowledge of the rules, theatrical or demonstrative mechanics on a routine basis (i.e., when not necessary to sell a call), creation of cool personna, etc...those characteristics in a partner make me nervous.

What does have to do with "sweet trigger"? Sounds to me like he may be a guy who needs to be seen and recognized as something special. Just makes me nervous.
You're doing a heckuva lot of assuming something without talking to or knowing someone.

Personally, that makes me nervous.

Last edited by Jurassic Referee; Tue Jul 04, 2006 at 05:11am.
Old Tue Jul 04, 2006, 02:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
You're doing a heckuva lot of assuming something without talking to or knowing someone.

Personally, that makes me nervous.
You're right, I am doing a lot of assuming. But if Ace would express himself clearly to start with, or clarify what he means after the fact, then I wouldn't have to. I still don't know what he means by "firing his sweet trigger". I'm not trying to be a jerk, but when words in a forum are the only way we have to get to know or understand someone, then we need to be clear. Having to figure out what someone means (in any venue) makes me uneasy, which in turn would make me nervous if I would have to trust and have confidence in him as a partner. Forum members give Chuck good-natured (I think) grief about being the spelling-nazi, but perfect spelling in a forum such as this is really of little importance as long as the idea is understood.

You asked me why that would make me nervous and I tried to give a complete, thorough answer. And be honest, if you had a partner who had some of the characteristics I previously described (and I agree that I'm wrong to imply Ace has any of those characteristics), wouldn't that make you a little nervous?

And looking back to my original post on this subject, I probably should have just asked Ace for clarification and kept my editorial comment to myself. But that would hardly have been in the spirit of this forum, would it?

Last edited by Corndog89; Tue Jul 04, 2006 at 02:57pm.
Old Tue Jul 04, 2006, 03:08pm
Do not give a damn!!

Corndog,

Lighten up man. Whatever he calls it, we all have a right to take some light points of view of this or any number of things. Who cares what he calls it?

Peace
Old Tue Jul 04, 2006, 04:19pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corndog89
Forum members give Chuck good-natured (I think) grief about being the spelling-nazi, but perfect spelling in a forum such as this is really of little importance as long as the idea is understood.
Nazi? I'm your friendly neighborhood Mr. Spelling Guy. "Guy", not "nazi". You're confusing me with the Seinfeld character. If you combined us, though, you'd have the Spelling Soup Nazi. I would be supreme arbiter over every bowl of Campbell's Alphabet Soup!! Five-year-olds everywhere would fear me!!! "Kat?!? No Alphabet Soup for you!! Come back, one year!!"
Old Tue Jul 04, 2006, 04:32pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckElias
Nazi? I'm your friendly neighborhood Mr. Spelling Guy. "Guy", not "nazi".
Unfortunately, you've been caught on tape:

Isn't that you on the far end?
Old Tue Jul 04, 2006, 04:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
Corndog,

Lighten up man. Whatever he calls it, we all have a right to take some light points of view of this or any number of things. Who cares what he calls it?

Peace
You're right...still just wondering what he means.
Old Tue Jul 04, 2006, 04:52pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Isn't that you on the far end?
Nope. That's Ron Jeremy.
Old Tue Jul 04, 2006, 06:17pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckElias
Nope. That's Ron Jeremy.
Ron Jeremy is a Nazi?

I always thought he was a Republican.

Aamof I thought that he originally posed for the Republican elephant symbol; well, the trunk part anyway.