The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Dec 10, 2005, 08:08pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
My first game in 1977 was at the HS I graduated from 2 years prior. Last second shot. Swish. Home team wins by one. Also did a handful of other games there during my first stint as an official. None like that one.

My stepson plays for the local HS. I do not do any games for his team. The others at the school are fine. My first assignment at that school THIS year is between my OLD HS and this one. In our area, if you didn't do games for similar types of reasons, it would be very difficult to find enough officials.
Old Sun Dec 11, 2005, 05:39pm
Official Forum Member

I work college football and the panel I am on has 10 schools. I graduated from three of these 10 schools so I would have a hard time on the panel if I was prohibited from working an alma mater.

Old Sun Dec 11, 2005, 06:33pm
Official Forum Member

Here's my school setup:

Jr. Hi: No problem on any games.

High School: sub-varsity in a pinch if absolutely necessary, especially in football; would rather not in hoops, but would; no way in varsity.

Undergrad: NO WAY. If this keeps me out of the Big 12, that's fine.

Grad (law school): I'm OK with it, but they'd probably scratch me after checking with the admin and getting their thoughts on me!

Apparantly things are pretty loose in non-conference college baseball. When I was at school (A&M) a guy I worked hoops with also did baseball and did quite a few A&M early season Tuesday night games. He was (and still is) also one of the Recreation Services directors at A&M supervising intramurals (etc.).
Old Sun Dec 11, 2005, 06:44pm
Official Forum Member

How about these....Girls' Regional Final (assignments are handed out prior to Regional)Team A, two officials from Town A are assigned to do this game. One ref (Also a School "A" grad)has a son on boys' varsity, Wife runs Team A's spirit store, and he coaches Town A's American Legion Baseball Team.(Later he was reassigned)

Girls' Regional Final, Employee of School "B" (Bus Driver) is assigned to do same school's game. (He did it)

Conflicts of interest?
Old Sun Dec 11, 2005, 09:54pm
Official Forum Member

I was asked to come work my high school but passed on the opportunity. My former coach was there and he liked to call time out and then come out onto the floor and berate officials. He was also the AD and seemed to schedule guys that would put up with it. I knew I wouldn't so I passed on the games. I figured I was better off staying away than having to take care of him and then listen to people I know talk about it for the rest of the year. I told him I was booked. Friday night I worked in a district I used to teach in. Things went fine. The coaches and players were great. One fan, a former student now in high shool, thought he could get cute and get directly in my face during a throw in, game management had a word with him and we didn't hear from him the rest of the night. I think he assumed since I knew him well, it was ok. Plus, he was probably trying to impress his friends. They were unimpressed when the AD had to come sit with them and have a little sportsmanship conversation.