The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old Thu Dec 01, 2005, 05:41pm
Official Forum Member

I referee in Utah and this year it has been very strongly pushed that we keep the coaches in the box.

What prompted this is, a lot(not all) of us used the philosophy if they are coaching their kids I don't mind them out of their box.

It has been stated by the High School Assn. that if we don't call it. The box will go away.

Interested in two things here. 1) What's your state doing? 2) Do you agree???

[Edited by garote on Dec 1st, 2005 at 05:48 PM]
Old Thu Dec 01, 2005, 05:57pm
Official Forum Member

I'll admit I've been in the ole "if they're coaching, why bother" camp for awhile. But it is also a Fed POI this year and our association is saying to enforce it strictly this year as well. Granted, coaches aren't going to like it, but I think that as it is enforced, they will get used to it. Not to mention, the threat of losing it altogether as they have said they would do in their seat, will probably work in the official's favor.
Old Thu Dec 01, 2005, 05:58pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by garote
I referee in Utah and this year it has been very strongly pushed that we keep the coaches in the box.

What prompted this is, a lot(not all) of us used the philosophy if they are coaching their kids I don't mind them out of their box.

It has been stated by the High School Assn. that if we don't call it. The box will go away.

This year, Michigan extended the box to 14' and again strongly urged it to be enforced.
It will be enforced when it becomes 28' long, I think.
mick
Old Thu Dec 01, 2005, 07:21pm
Official Forum Member

TO be honest, I really think that the only way to get the box, whatever the size, enforced, is to tell OFFICIALS that their PLAYOFF ASSIGNMENTS depend on how well they enforce it, and then STAND BY THAT. If states would leave a couple of the top vets home during the playoffs for their failure to enforce issues such as these, everyone else would get the message too. But let's face it. That ain't gonna happen.
Old Thu Dec 01, 2005, 07:52pm
Official Forum Member

We've been told that the State will have evaluators at games throughout the year and that they will be specifically watching how the coaches box is enforced. The State went to 14' boxes a couple of years ago but has grown increasingly frustrated at the lack of enforcement and the "he/she is coaching" philosophy. The box was almost abolished by the State this year but agreed to keep it pending the outcome of these random audits. They have also said that playoff assignments could be at risk if an auditor is at a game where the box is not enforced. They are also watching for assistant coach behavior and how that is dealt with by the officials.
Old Thu Dec 01, 2005, 08:13pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Whistles & Stripes
TO be honest, I really think that the only way to get the box, whatever the size, enforced, is to tell OFFICIALS that their PLAYOFF ASSIGNMENTS depend on how well they enforce it, and then STAND BY THAT. If states would leave a couple of the top vets home during the playoffs for their failure to enforce issues such as these, everyone else would get the message too. But let's face it. That ain't gonna happen.
That is what they told us in our state. Now whether anyone is not working the playoffs as a result I do not know. It might not hurt anyone from actually working the post season; it might hurt how far they go. That is just my take on the issue. Who actually knows what they are going to do at this point.

Peace
Old Thu Dec 01, 2005, 09:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

[Edited by garote on Dec 1st, 2005 at 05:48 PM]
Our state places a high importance on managing the coaches box. At the state tournament, officials who do not do a good job of managing the box don't do well. If you don't make it a part of your skill set during the regular season, you can't just "turn it on" at the state tournament. If you work on managing the box, it becomes a skill just like managing the clock.

A lot of officials think that keeping coaches in the box means that you wait until they run 8-feet out of the box and then whack them. If you are managing them the whole game (which starts in the pregame conference when you tell them where the box is to let them know that you'll be watching), 99% of them won't push their limits.

Z
Old Thu Dec 01, 2005, 10:10pm
Do not give a damn!!

I forgot to mention this in my earlier posts. Our state has implemented a warning system for the coaching box. If there are those that work football we have kind of like a "sideline warning" that will be used. If a coach is outside the box and simply coaching, we are to give a warning (not unlike a delay warning) that is to be put into the official book. The next violation will be a Technical foul. Now if that coach is outside the box screaming and yelling at the officials, then a T is what they will get. If we do not use this policy, we are to be punished through the playoff system.

Peace
Old Thu Dec 01, 2005, 10:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
1) What's your state doing?
We were told to bring tape to our games and mark off a 14' box. If the SD/AD would not let us put tape on the floor of the court, then the home team coach would not be allowed to stand up (seat belt rule). The visitor's coach would be allowed to stand in the normal 14' box[ .

[Edited by WinterWillie on Dec 2nd, 2005 at 03:31 AM]
Old Fri Dec 02, 2005, 01:06am
Official Forum Member

I, too, have been lax in the past. But in my state, we've been told very clearly that we must enforce it this year. If a coach is outside the box...up close to midcourt...and "just coaching," while his/her opponent is playing by the rules, it gives the rulebreaker a tremendous advantage.

So this year...one quick warning, and then a T, just like they said in our state rules meetings. I'll emphasize it in the pregame, and if they carp, I'll remind them of that.
Old Fri Dec 02, 2005, 01:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
1) The same as yours.

2) It makes no difference.

BTW, it's a coaching box, not a coaches' box.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Fri Dec 02, 2005, 06:27am
Official Forum Member

ZEBRAMAN

So Zebraman. care to expand on the skill set necessary to manage the coaching box. I am 2 yr ref. and we too have been told to crack down. As I look around the gyms been are making a token effort at best. So i would like to start to learn how to do this.
Old Fri Dec 02, 2005, 08:33am
Official Forum Member

This was emphasized in PA also - similar to what everyone else has said. We are to give one warning if Coach is outside the box coaching, no warning is Coach is outside the box chirping.
Old Fri Dec 02, 2005, 09:02am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
In Va, we were told to strickly enforce the box. The only warning coaches got was at the clinic and during the game its a "t". But in my pre game with the cox, I always ask them, are you going to use your box? If they say yes, I say, I am stressing that you stay in it! We do not put any tape down, thats up to game management. If no tape is down by the start of the game, the home team coach sits and the visiting team coach has an imaginary box to the extent of my imagination! I have a vivid imaginiation too!
Old Fri Dec 02, 2005, 09:14am
Official Forum Member

Texas - Long known to be lenient on the enforcement of the Coach's box.

Announced at State meeting it will be enforced

1) lack of enforcement effects tourney assignemnts
2) General lack of enforcement will lead to it being dropped.
3) Association presidents wrote to ALL coach's announcing enforcement

The State UIL mandated that the Box will be permentently marked on the floor. I have seen it's addition on all gym floors