The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri May 11, 2001, 12:42pm
Official Forum Member

Question

How and when do officials get paid for their games in your area?
For the Most part our High School season ended March 2nd, and we have not seen our games fees. Has this been a problem in other areas, and what have you done to rectify the situation?
Old Fri May 11, 2001, 12:59pm
Official Forum Member

Smile

We used to be paid monthly by the 15th or so, but often rather later than that. This year our association negotized with the schools for 50% payment up front. We were paid very punctionally around the 15th. In the last month or so we went to semi-monthly pay. This helps those who really depend on the money to live, but for most of us it probably represents an unmerited burden on the association.
Old Fri May 11, 2001, 01:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AK ref SE
How and when do officials get paid for their games in your area?
For the Most part our High School season ended March 2nd, and we have not seen our games fees. Has this been a problem in other areas, and what have you done to rectify the situation?
Wow! That's just wrong. I can't imagine why it should take anyone two and a half months to send out at check. It's obviously not a priority with the floks who are paying you.

We get paid at the game site or we get paid with the end of each assignment schedule by the booking agent. So, the longest that I have to wait is 3 weeks at the most.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Fri May 11, 2001, 01:22pm
Do not give a damn!!

Unhappy By school

Depends on the school and the conference and school district. Mostly in the Chicago area they pay on their own time. Some pay by the week, some by the month, some at the end of the season. Some conferences you get paid by the assignor.

But in the rest of the state and just outside of Chicago, almost all the schools that I have done, pay on site the day of the game.

I really do not understand why the Chicago area associations allow this situation, but outside of Chicago if they were not to pay officials on site, the schools would have no officials to do any games.

Peace
Old Fri May 11, 2001, 01:25pm
Official Forum Member

It depends on the school district.

Some pay at the site, some pay you with all the other vendors once or twice a month. Some send the checks out the next day.

I had one school that wouldn't pay and wouldn't call me back. I finally got it resolved, but I was this close to calling the state. My guess is the assoc would not be thrilled with districts stiffing officials.
Old Fri May 11, 2001, 01:40pm
Official Forum Member

Re: By school

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
Depends on the school and the conference and school district. Mostly in the Chicago area they pay on their own time. Some pay by the week, some by the month, some at the end of the season. Some conferences you get paid by the assignor.

But in the rest of the state and just outside of Chicago, almost all the schools that I have done, pay on site the day of the game.

I really do not understand why the Chicago area associations allow this situation, but outside of Chicago if they were not to pay officials on site, the schools would have no officials to do any games.

Peace
IN the past, "most" schools would pay at the site. But, sometimes there were changes in the officials, and some officials didn't want to take a check with someone else's name on it. So, more schools are going to paying after the game (i.e., mailing the check a couple of days after the game).
Old Fri May 11, 2001, 03:16pm
Official Forum Member

Wait a minute!

You mean we're supposed to be getting paid for all this aggravation!?
Old Fri May 11, 2001, 03:55pm
Esteemed Participant

I find it hard to believe that the schools and/or school districts have not paid the association or assignor by now...they MUST keep their accounts up to date and everything above board or run the risk of being audited by the state...as a teacher, I can guarantee you that the prospect of a state audit (and all the hoops the district would have to jump through) is enough to put the fear of God into the administrators - and having lived up there in AK, I know that is doubly true of that state where so much of the district's money comes from the state! Call your assignor or association president and ask them where the money is or what the hold-up is...see what they say and let us know!
Old Fri May 11, 2001, 05:41pm
Do not give a damn!!

Thumbs down Re: I cannot believe it.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by bob jenkins
Quote:

IN the past, "most" schools would pay at the site. But, sometimes there were changes in the officials, and some officials didn't want to take a check with someone else's name on it. So, more schools are going to paying after the game (i.e., mailing the check a couple of days after the game).

Well having said that, if schools tried that out of the Chicago area, officials and umpires would quit. I personally have schools all over the place, but when I was further down state, it was not unusual to drive 30 miles and more to do a game. If officials had to go through the trouble to get their money, all the officials association would strike. And I am not talking about what UMPS did. And considering the gas prices right now, good luck finding anyone. Chicago association need to stop just complaining about just how much money they get paid, they need to worry getting paid. If I wanted to be an accountant, I would have went to school for that.

And another thing that would drive officials outside of the Chicago area crazy. If you do a game by yourself, you get both checks. These schools will not even give part of the money to do a game by yourself. If I did a game outside of the Chicago area and I did a game minus another official, without asking they give the other check. I do not have to beg, complain, or talk to the AD. You get the other check no matter what. You do a game by yourself up here, they think they are doing you a favor.

It just shows how different the Chicago area is to the rest of the state.
Old Sat May 12, 2001, 08:40am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Here in my local board (one of 33 in Ontario), we meet every other Monday to discuss rules changes (at the beginning of the season), philosophy, certain situations that have arose, ect... and we also get our assignments on this night - usually 3 weeks in advance, and at the end of the night, we are paid by cheque. I'm doing both spring leagues this year, and we're being paid for those up front.

I do know that many boards in Ontario do it this way, but some (it seems those in the Toronto area) are paid up front for every assignment.

..Mike
Old Mon May 14, 2001, 10:35am
Official Forum Member

Behind the times!!

My association (northern Virginia) must really be behind the times. We get paid 3 times per year (depending on when you work). For example, we get paid at the end of the summer for Spring and Summer rec ball. For scholastic ball, we are paid twice a year (Fall Ball and Winter Ball). Beginning with the 2001-2002 school year, we will not have Fall Ball. The smaller schools (A & AA girls) played in the fall. As a result of a lawsuit, all schools (boys and girls) will play Winter Ball. Some officials tried to get the association to pay more often, but it hasn't happened yet. It really doesn't bother me that we are paid 3 times per year because I plan specific uses for that money -- i.e., vacation. One of our problems has been with the schools paying on time. Our association bills the schools after the state tournament, but the schools are late paying the association. My wife works at one of the local high schools and she said the business office usually puts the payment off as late as possible. A couple of years ago, we stopped officiating at this high school because they were so late. It got much better the following year.
Old Mon May 14, 2001, 12:46pm
Official Forum Member

I talked to most of the people in our association. (By the way we finally received half our check). We are going to change the way we receive our pay for next year. WE are requesting game fees on game night next year.
Thanks for the responses!

AK ref SE
Old Mon May 14, 2001, 01:24pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

I'm from the Midwest/Wisconsin area. Here we get paid when we show up to officiate the contest. That's at all the high school levels (FR, SO, VARSITY). The schools know a year or more ahead of time who the officials will be for their conference and non-conference games. They submit the names to the administration, in turn who cut the checks for each month. The checks are given to the officials or the crew chief by the AD or whomever is in charge of the contest that night. Some times when an official has to cancel or miss a game, the checks will get mailed out to us. But this is usually within a thirty day time frame.
I would hate to have to wait until the season to get over with before seiing the checks.
Old Mon May 14, 2001, 02:35pm
Official Forum Member

Unhappy

During the regular season in North Carolina we are paid by booking agent. I seldon wait more than 2 weeks. There are a few private schools and counties that pay seperately, but we never wait more than two weeks. Once tournaments start we are paid on site.
Don't know a solution except discuss it whomever schedule game(s). Schools may think twice if they don't pay and officials refuse to do games in the coming seasons.
Good luck
Old Mon May 14, 2001, 10:25pm
Official Forum Member

Talking You mean I'm generous to volunteer for this??!! (nm)

nm