View Single Post
Old Mon May 14, 2001, 10:35am
Official Forum Member

Behind the times!!

My association (northern Virginia) must really be behind the times. We get paid 3 times per year (depending on when you work). For example, we get paid at the end of the summer for Spring and Summer rec ball. For scholastic ball, we are paid twice a year (Fall Ball and Winter Ball). Beginning with the 2001-2002 school year, we will not have Fall Ball. The smaller schools (A & AA girls) played in the fall. As a result of a lawsuit, all schools (boys and girls) will play Winter Ball. Some officials tried to get the association to pay more often, but it hasn't happened yet. It really doesn't bother me that we are paid 3 times per year because I plan specific uses for that money -- i.e., vacation. One of our problems has been with the schools paying on time. Our association bills the schools after the state tournament, but the schools are late paying the association. My wife works at one of the local high schools and she said the business office usually puts the payment off as late as possible. A couple of years ago, we stopped officiating at this high school because they were so late. It got much better the following year.