The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat May 12, 2001, 01:39pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
I've been plowing through the rule book and case book, to find things I don't yet understand, and then working on those. Some things I can figure out, or they've been discussed here or on McGriff, and I've gone back to reference them. Here are a couple questions I'm not sure of the answers to.

5-8-3b Time-out occurs and the clock, if running, shall be stopped when an official...grants a player's/head coach's oral or visual request for a time-out, such request being granted only when...The ball is dead, unless replacement of a disqualified, or injured player(s), or a player directed to leave the game is pending, and a substitute(s) is available.

It's this last part that I feel uncertain about. In looking through the case book, I infer that if some player is forced to leave, the time-out can't be granted until the substitution is made. But it is okay to recognize and promise the time-out, isn't it? So coach B is on the floor dealing with injured player B1, and coach A signals for a time-out. (I don't know why, but we've all seen coaches do stupider things, haven't we?) I don't just stand there ignoring him, do I? I say okay coach, when the sub is in, we'll give you a time-out. Then as the injured player is being carried off, and the sub steps onto the floor, then do I blow my whistle, and signal the table?

On a regular time-out, substitutions must be reported before the warning buzz, right? But on a dq the "time-out" is over as soon as the sub reports, right? Then a that point, one coach or the other could call another time-out, right?

If a coach, requests a time-out, and I grant it, even though I shouldn't, it happens anyway, doesn't it? What if I thought the coach requested, but he insists he didn't? Can I put the ball back and not give the time-out? Do I have to call a time-out and give it to one coach or the other?

How much discretion am I allowed in granting or not granting a time-out when the in-bounder is having trouble? If the coach requests, but just then the ball goes in-bounds, do I look over and see if he still wants it, or do I just give it? At what point is it too late to change his mind?
Old Sat May 12, 2001, 02:05pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
So coach B is on the floor dealing with injured player B1, and coach A signals for a time-out. (I don't know why, but we've all seen coaches do stupider things, haven't we?) I don't just stand there ignoring him, do I? I say okay coach, when the sub is in, we'll give you a time-out. Then as the injured player is being carried off, and the sub steps onto the floor, then do I blow my whistle, and signal the table?

If coach B is on the floor, it is because you beckoned him and there is an official's timeout going on. Coach A may not have a timeout start during an ongoing timeout, so you should ask him if he wants one at the end of the current timeout, which will end when the substitute reports into the game, assuming you don't let that happen until the injured player has left. In other words, your procedure (except for ignoring the coach) is correct. The correct procedure for ignoring a coach is different - just ask Dave

On a regular time-out, substitutions must be reported before the warning buzz, right? But on a dq the "time-out" is over as soon as the sub reports, right? Then a that point, one coach or the other could call another time-out, right?

Almost perfect, Juulie. The coach could, at that time, request a timeout. Only you or your partner(s) can call a timeout

If a coach, requests a time-out, and I grant it, even though I shouldn't, it happens anyway, doesn't it?

Yes.

What if I thought the coach requested, but he insists he didn't? Can I put the ball back and not give the time-out? Do I have to call a time-out and give it to one coach or the other?

This gets a little trickier. If you are sure the coach clearly requested a timeout, either verbally or by signal, you grant it despite protests. Maybe he changed his mind and is trying to get out of it. Many of us have had coaches who call out play numbers like "nine out" that sound like he is requesting a timeout. If I hear something I think is a request, I call it. If he claims he was calling a play, I tell him to change the name of his play, or this is going to happen again.

I once had a game where a coach absolutely asked for a timeout, then realized he was out of timeouts and tried to change it. You know me - WHACK!

How much discretion am I allowed in granting or not granting a time-out when the in-bounder is having trouble? If the coach requests, but just then the ball goes in-bounds, do I look over and see if he still wants it, or do I just give it? At what point is it too late to change his mind? [/B]
Old Sat May 12, 2001, 11:08pm
Official Forum Member

Juulie,

I had the following play a couple of years ago. Team A is down 6 points with less than 3 minutes to play. A1 hits a driving layup. B1 swipes at the ball, misses and hits the backboard. As the ball goes through the hoop, the coach is signaling for time-out. I grant the time-out. He says, "I didn't want a time-out. I wanted a technical for slapping the backboard."

Guess what? He got a time-out. And he doesn't use that signal anymore unless he wants a time-out.

Tony

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sun May 13, 2001, 12:19am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
I grant the time-out. He says, "I didn't want a time-out. I wanted a technical for slapping the backboard."
And he doesn't use that signal anymore unless he wants a time-out.
I've wondered about this in the past. The first week of volleyball last fall (my first year to ref volleyball) I kept hesitating to signal T for time-out. Then switching back to basketball was also tricky!
Old Mon May 14, 2001, 07:20am
Official Forum Member

/B][/QUOTE]

I've wondered about this in the past. The first week of volleyball last fall (my first year to ref volleyball) I kept hesitating to signal T for time-out. Then switching back to basketball was also tricky! [/B][/QUOTE]

We've all been there (all of us volleyball refs that is).

In fact, it is good pratice to perfect your bball wack during vball season.