View Single Post
Old Tue Nov 22, 2005, 09:45am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Apparently, I was wrong. I guess this isn't really interesting. Oh, well.

I agree with JugglingRef's solution. It is clearly still correctable. And both foul penalties must be assessed.

Unfortunately, the guys working the game (2 NCAA, and 1 HS Var) didn't realize the error had been made. When we talked about it at halftime, all three of them said, "I kinda thought something wasn't right. . ."

What I think is interesting is that if the error had been for the wrong player shooting the FT, or shooting an unmerited FT, or for shooting a FT at the wrong basket, then the second foul would've been canceled (2-10-4). But b/c it was failure to award, you don't cancel the intervening activity (2-10-5). I don't like the difference there, mainly b/c I don't understand why the errors should be treated differently in this way. Just doesn't make sense to me.
I don't think you're interpreting 2-10-4 correctly. If the error is awarding free throws when you shouldn't, then any fouls DURING those free throws gets cancelled. If the play goes on and then there's a foul, you don't cancel THAT foul. Look at case 2.10.4.