The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Nov 18, 2005, 09:14am
Official Forum Member

To nitpick only, if a player shoots, then a shot occured. To say "no shot" isn't as accurate as "on the floor." I personally say "no shot" as well. Just a curious thought that someone mentioned to me. Enjoy.
Old Fri Nov 18, 2005, 10:04am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by Texref
To nitpick only, if a player shoots, then a shot occured. To say "no shot" isn't as accurate as "on the floor." I personally say "no shot" as well.
If a player throws the ball toward his/her basket after the ball has become dead, then it's not a try. So there's been "no shot".

"On the floor" is irrelevant to whether a player is in the act of shooting when the foul occured. The player can be on the floor and still be in the act of shooting. A player can be airborne and not be in the act of shooting. Stating the player's location is not an accurate reason for counting or cancelling the goal.
Old Fri Nov 18, 2005, 10:33am
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by ChuckElias
[B]
Quote:
To nitpick only, if a player shoots, then a shot occured. To say "no shot" isn't as accurate as "on the floor." I personally say "no shot" as well.
If a player throws the ball toward his/her basket after the ball has become dead, then it's not a try. So there's been "no shot".

If a player shoots the ball, it may not be a try, but it is still a shot at the basket. Just b/c its after the whistle has blown doesn't change that fact. I was just pointing out that it is kind of an incorrect description and that "on the floor" or just "floor" might be better.

I'm also arguing just to argue now. Sorry. Have a great day!
Old Fri Nov 18, 2005, 11:06am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
If a player shoots the ball, it may not be a try, but it is still a shot at the basket.

The crowd may think it's a shot, the player and his coach may think it's a shot. But it's not a shot.

Quote:
"on the floor" or just "floor" might be better.
It's not better for the reasons I stated above; namely, that it's irrelevant to what the official is really trying to say.

I'm used to arguing for the fun of it, so no offense taken. Argue.
Old Fri Nov 18, 2005, 11:29am
Official Forum Member

You mean we aren't there to communicate with the fans?! If everyone thinks its a shot, then we look like dumbass' (or dumbasses?) when we say "no shot!" But I digress, we all look like idiots to the fans anyways.
Old Fri Nov 18, 2005, 03:48pm
Official Forum Member

How about "before the shot"?

When you call a close foul here what is the mechanic? In my neck of the woods many officials will even give the no shot/no score signal as a preliminary to sell it so that everyone knows there is No Shot involved.
Old Fri Nov 18, 2005, 06:55pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
"On the floor" is irrelevant to whether a player is in the act of shooting when the foul occured. The player can be on the floor and still be in the act of shooting. A player can be airborne and not be in the act of shooting. Stating the player's location is not an accurate reason for counting or cancelling the goal.
Just for the record, when I do say "On the floor" I don't mean where the player was when the foul was committed. I mean where the player will be when the ball is put into play.
Old Fri Nov 18, 2005, 10:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Just for the record, when I do say "On the floor" I don't mean where the player was when the foul was committed. I mean where the player will be when the ball is put into play. [/B]
I'm with you on this one. I use it to mean we are taking the ball out on the floor rather than shooting FT's. I have used both. "No shot" while waving the shot off and then pointing to the succeeding trhow-in spot I'll say "on the floor". But I never say, "over the back".
Old Fri Nov 18, 2005, 10:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Just for the record, when I do say "On the floor" I don't mean where the player was when the foul was committed. I mean where the player will be when the ball is put into play.
Ok, so I'm feelin' a little argumentative:

Are you saying the player can't jump up in the air and pass the ball inbounds?

(Used with permission.)
Old Fri Nov 18, 2005, 10:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by M&M Guy
Quote:
Quote:

Or that aplayer must levitate in order to get a free throw.
Old Fri Nov 18, 2005, 11:41pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by M&M Guy
Quote:
Quote:

I've got a friend that is about 12 emotionally, and she always thinks everything needs to be meant literally. I spend a couple or three hours a week with her, usually, and I certainly don't any more of that stuff from you!!
Old Sat Nov 19, 2005, 12:41am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Quote:
Uhmmm...no.

You can argue that "on the floor" is accepted jargon to designate "before the shot".

You can't argue that "on the floor" means we'll be "on the floor" when play resumes.

We are always "on the floor" when play resumes.

For the record...I sometimes say it, not usually. I prefer "NO SHOT!". Or "BEFORE THE SHOT!" But it happens I get lazy & say "on the floor". And when I do the only sh!t I take is from fellow officials.

No biggie.
Old Sat Nov 19, 2005, 01:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tomegun
While I understand why you say "stay here" is something minor, I think it's interesting that you mention positioning as something that is important. A small or "minor" step left or right makes all the difference in the world to get a good look. Plus, we can't do the same things now that a current D1 official did before they moved up. Times change, mechanics change and we must change with them. I can't understand someone saying something is minor when you consider all the competition to move up.

Most of the time, there is a reason to do something and a reason not to do something. We are talking about a reason to say the color or a reason to say something other than the color. When someone steps in the center circle before the jump and says the color, while pointing the appropriate way, why don't they say "this way, that way?" What about reporting to the table. It seems like other things are based on communicating the colors the teams are wearing. Why is the use of color on an out of bounds play so easily dismissed when it could be just as easily used the same way as other times in the game?

Finally, "stay here" isn't a color.

[Edited by tomegun on Nov 18th, 2005 at 06:43 AM]
I agree with you a lot more about the "stays here" than I do about "on the floor." "Stays here" is not clearly communicative, but I don't think that it is really harmful. Personally I don't use it and I would encourage others to call the color on OOB plays, it's more of an irritant than a problem.

"On the floor" is communicative, it clearly and definitively indicates that there was no continuous motion, and the foul occured before the shot. It is a good verbal sell in my opinion, after all, the official is also pointing to the floor and the spot as well. The difference between "No shot," "before the shot" and "on the floor" is simply semantics, and I think it is very nitpicky. Simply saying nothing in this situation often is a lack of communication and could lead to a problem in facilitating a speedy resumption of play. IMO an evaluator should encourage communication among the crew and between coaches and officials, not nitpick on semantics. More communication, even slightly imperfect communication is better than none at all.
Old Sat Nov 19, 2005, 08:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Just to be a smat a#$. Dont we shoot FTs on the floor?
Old Sat Nov 19, 2005, 09:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I've got a friend that is about 12 emotionally, and she always thinks everything needs to be meant literally. I spend a couple or three hours a week with her, usually, and I certainly don't any more of that stuff from you!!
Well, I've been told that I kinda act 12 as well, so you should have plenty of good experience dealing with me.

I guess the point I was trying to make (rather childishly) is the fact I agree that "on the floor" is an inappropriate term to use. It's a shot, or it's "no shot". It's also one of those nit-picky items that may not mean much except to those who critique others. So, ask your assignor or other higher-level officials if they feel it's appropriate. If they don't have a problem, then feel free to use that method of communication. If they feel it's not appropriate, then try to get out of the habit.

(Used with permission.)