Thread: "On the floor"
View Single Post
Old Sat Nov 19, 2005, 01:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tomegun
While I understand why you say "stay here" is something minor, I think it's interesting that you mention positioning as something that is important. A small or "minor" step left or right makes all the difference in the world to get a good look. Plus, we can't do the same things now that a current D1 official did before they moved up. Times change, mechanics change and we must change with them. I can't understand someone saying something is minor when you consider all the competition to move up.

Most of the time, there is a reason to do something and a reason not to do something. We are talking about a reason to say the color or a reason to say something other than the color. When someone steps in the center circle before the jump and says the color, while pointing the appropriate way, why don't they say "this way, that way?" What about reporting to the table. It seems like other things are based on communicating the colors the teams are wearing. Why is the use of color on an out of bounds play so easily dismissed when it could be just as easily used the same way as other times in the game?

Finally, "stay here" isn't a color.

[Edited by tomegun on Nov 18th, 2005 at 06:43 AM]
I agree with you a lot more about the "stays here" than I do about "on the floor." "Stays here" is not clearly communicative, but I don't think that it is really harmful. Personally I don't use it and I would encourage others to call the color on OOB plays, it's more of an irritant than a problem.

"On the floor" is communicative, it clearly and definitively indicates that there was no continuous motion, and the foul occured before the shot. It is a good verbal sell in my opinion, after all, the official is also pointing to the floor and the spot as well. The difference between "No shot," "before the shot" and "on the floor" is simply semantics, and I think it is very nitpicky. Simply saying nothing in this situation often is a lack of communication and could lead to a problem in facilitating a speedy resumption of play. IMO an evaluator should encourage communication among the crew and between coaches and officials, not nitpick on semantics. More communication, even slightly imperfect communication is better than none at all.