Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Nov 12, 2005, 11:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mick
Quote:
Originally posted by williebfree
Recently, I was working a Jr. High Tourney and a coach "informed me" that #32 of the opposing team was chewing gum. I understood his concern for her safety, but which rule do you cite to justify the official's authority to have the player remove the gum?
I do not understand the safety issue of chewing gum that has, from time to time, been an expressed concern of coaches and officials. It's as if many folks have never suffered from that lack of saliva in their mouths, which I used to call "cotton mouth", where your mouth is so dry that you couldn't spit.
Chewing gum fixes that, ... and then the players have that great after game breath.
mick

"According to a recent article in the Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report (MMWR), candy and gum were responsible for 1/4 of all cases of choking-related episodes among children in 2001 that were treated in emergency rooms. The CDC report showed that over 17,500 children ages 14 and under were treated in emergency rooms for nonfatal choking problems in 2001. Of these visits, at least 60 percent were caused by food. While many culprits were identified, hard candy, gummy candy, and chewing gum were major culprits." -Colorado State University Cooperative Extension SafeFood Rapid Response Network

Make of it what you will . . . I like the sign on the wall says no approach . . .

Old Sat Nov 12, 2005, 12:06pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by assignmentmaker
Quote:
Quote:
Recently, I was working a Jr. High Tourney and a coach "informed me" that #32 of the opposing team was chewing gum. I understood his concern for her safety, but which rule do you cite to justify the official's authority to have the player remove the gum?
I do not understand the safety issue of chewing gum that has, from time to time, been an expressed concern of coaches and officials. It's as if many folks have never suffered from that lack of saliva in their mouths, which I used to call "cotton mouth", where your mouth is so dry that you couldn't spit.
Chewing gum fixes that, ... and then the players have that great after game breath.
mick

"According to a recent article in the Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report (MMWR), candy and gum were responsible for 1/4 of all cases of choking-related episodes among children in 2001 that were treated in emergency rooms. The CDC report showed that over 17,500 children ages 14 and under were treated in emergency rooms for nonfatal choking problems in 2001. Of these visits, at least 60 percent were caused by food. While many culprits were identified, hard candy, gummy candy, and chewing gum were major culprits." -Colorado State University Cooperative Extension SafeFood Rapid Response Network

Make of it what you will . . . I like the sign on the wall says no approach . . .

I do not understand the safety issue of chewing gum....

As I remember [from the old days], every one of my teammates could walk and chew gum. That's one reason the coach handed it out before each game, I guess.
If there were stats, even weak stats, that showed gum was dangerous, I'd wager youth sports, all youth sports, would ban it from field to floor.
mick
Old Sat Nov 12, 2005, 12:13pm
Official Forum Member

You'd think so . . .

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
mick

I do not understand the safety issue of chewing gum....

As I remember [from the old days], every one of my teammates could walk and chew gum. That's one reason the coach handed it out before each game, I guess.
If there were stats, even weak stats, that showed gum was dangerous, I'd wager youth sports, all youth sports, would ban it from field to floor.
mick
In MA, statistics were presented to the MIAA from an organization with ties to dentistry that showed a staggering incidence of mouth injury in basketball. Bongo, all players in high school were required to use mouthguards. They do drop them on the floor and putting them back in their mouths, etc.. The rule has made the players quieter - but they weren't talking enough, in the right way, to begin with - a net loss to the game, I believe. Now the rule is being reconsidered because, among other things, cheap mouthguards don't work very well.
Old Sat Nov 12, 2005, 03:56pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Re: You'd think so . . .

Quote:
In MA, statistics were presented to the MIAA from an organization with ties to dentistry that showed a staggering incidence of mouth injury in basketball. Bongo, all players in high school were required to use mouthguards.
Jeff, are you in MA? If so, drop me a line and let me know where.

My understanding of the MIAA rule wasn't that they saw a large number of injuries in basketball; it was that whenever there was a mouth injury, it resulted very often in concussion.
Old Sat Nov 12, 2005, 06:10pm
Official Forum Member

I don't refer to a specific rule when I tell them to get rid of the gum. I just tell them I've stepped on enough during games to know it causes too many problems. You have to stop the game, get it off the court, off your shoes or a player's shoes, etc. I am always amazed when I tell them to spit it out and they just look at me, swallow it, and grin. Kids. Go figure.
Old Sun Nov 13, 2005, 08:23am
Official Forum Member

Re: CBOA Exam

Quote:
Originally posted by Chess Ref
Been taking your CBOA exam?

NEV. Ref. Actually been studying for it.Today we have our first scrimmages where we get evaluated, again. I will make it up to your neck of the woods and hopefully catch a game you are doing this year.
If you have the chance to do this, send me an email first and I'll set everything up for you.

PS that question is on the CBOA exam.