View Single Post
Old Sat Nov 12, 2005, 11:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mick
Quote:
Originally posted by williebfree
Recently, I was working a Jr. High Tourney and a coach "informed me" that #32 of the opposing team was chewing gum. I understood his concern for her safety, but which rule do you cite to justify the official's authority to have the player remove the gum?
I do not understand the safety issue of chewing gum that has, from time to time, been an expressed concern of coaches and officials. It's as if many folks have never suffered from that lack of saliva in their mouths, which I used to call "cotton mouth", where your mouth is so dry that you couldn't spit.
Chewing gum fixes that, ... and then the players have that great after game breath.
mick

"According to a recent article in the Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report (MMWR), candy and gum were responsible for 1/4 of all cases of choking-related episodes among children in 2001 that were treated in emergency rooms. The CDC report showed that over 17,500 children ages 14 and under were treated in emergency rooms for nonfatal choking problems in 2001. Of these visits, at least 60 percent were caused by food. While many culprits were identified, hard candy, gummy candy, and chewing gum were major culprits." -Colorado State University Cooperative Extension SafeFood Rapid Response Network

Make of it what you will . . . I like the sign on the wall says no approach . . .