The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Nov 07, 2005, 03:03pm
Official Forum Member

(ncaa) A1 is shooting freethrows, after the first of two, we have some subs to come into the game, A6 for A2, B6 and B7 for B1 and B2, so while these subs are coming in coach from Team B sends up another sub B8 to come in for B3, after team A coach sees who is coming in he changes his mind and wants to sub again so sends in A7 to come in for A6 that just entered for A2 a second ago....

Big argument! Team B coach didn't think he A6 could come out because he hasn't played a second yet... i was U1 and told my parnter that he didn't have to play a second, it was the players that came out going to the bench had to SIT for a second!! So then we "Discussed" it and disagreed, so i told him what i think the rule was again, and he said "not" and i told him he was the ref and good luck...he then went to the Team A coach and told him to put back in A6 because he has to play... Me being friends with Team A's coach didn't help matters any, he called me over there to help him out, but i kinda tried to stay out of it, and told him my thoughts and left it at that!!! Any suggestions on what else i could of done???? After great discussion, team A coach put back in player A6 for the sake of the argument and then said he would be calling our assignor.... haven't heard from him yet, but i have talked to the coach about it!!!! Just wanting to make sure i'm correct on the rule!! The player can come in and the coach changes his mind and can take him/her right back out right???
Old Mon Nov 07, 2005, 03:07pm
Official Forum Member

i dont see why not

the rule only pertains to players who have subbed out...
Old Mon Nov 07, 2005, 03:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jritchie
(ncaa) A1 is shooting freethrows, after the first of two, we have some subs to come into the game, A6 for A2, B6 and B7 for B1 and B2, so while these subs are coming in coach from Team B sends up another sub B8 to come in for B3, after team A coach sees who is coming in he changes his mind and wants to sub again so sends in A7 to come in for A6 that just entered for A2 a second ago....

Big argument! Team B coach didn't think he A6 could come out because he hasn't played a second yet... i was U1 and told my parnter that he didn't have to play a second, it was the players that came out going to the bench had to SIT for a second!! So then we "Discussed" it and disagreed, so i told him what i think the rule was again, and he said "not" and i told him he was the ref and good luck...he then went to the Team A coach and told him to put back in A6 because he has to play... Me being friends with Team A's coach didn't help matters any, he called me over there to help him out, but i kinda tried to stay out of it, and told him my thoughts and left it at that!!! Any suggestions on what else i could of done???? After great discussion, team A coach put back in player A6 for the sake of the argument and then said he would be calling our assignor.... haven't heard from him yet, but i have talked to the coach about it!!!! Just wanting to make sure i'm correct on the rule!! The player can come in and the coach changes his mind and can take him/her right back out right???
3-4-13 of 2005 NCAA rules.

Your R kicked it.
Old Mon Nov 07, 2005, 03:13pm
Official Forum Member

that is what i thought, he just got me thinking about it and i wanted to make sure...one of those stupid things!!! we did have another good discussion after the game... he still wouldn't admit he kicked it!
Old Mon Nov 07, 2005, 03:13pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by blindzebra

Your R kicked it.
The crew kicked it.
Old Mon Nov 07, 2005, 03:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
Quote:

Your R kicked it.
The crew kicked it.
That depends on who the R was, I guarantee there are more than a few posters on this forum that if told, "I'm 150% sure that is not the rule," would not change their mind.

In that case just what is the rest of the crew supposed to do?
Old Mon Nov 07, 2005, 03:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Your R kicked it.
The crew kicked it.
That depends on who the R was, I guarantee there are more than a few posters on this forum that if told, "I'm 150% sure that is not the rule," would not change their mind.

In that case just what is the rest of the crew supposed to do?
2 choices:

- let him get the rule wrong.
- do not let him get the rule wrong.

I'll go with door #2 Monty.
Old Mon Nov 07, 2005, 03:34pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
[/B]
2 choices:

[/B][/QUOTE]What if the R still refuses?

Do you offer to arm wrestle him?
Old Mon Nov 07, 2005, 03:45pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
[B
Big argument! Team B coach didn't think he A6 could come out because he hasn't played a second yet... i was U1 and told my parnter that he didn't have to play a second, it was the players that came out going to the bench had to SIT for a second!! So then we "Discussed" it and disagreed, so i told him what i think the rule was again, and he said "not" and i told him he was the ref and good luck...he then went to the Team A coach and told him to put back in A6 because he has to play... Me being friends with Team A's coach didn't help matters any, he called me over there to help him out, but i kinda tried to stay out of it, and told him my thoughts and left it at that!!! Any suggestions on what else i could of done????

[/B]
Yikes. Jmo, but one official only should be talking to the coaches. The other official should be with him listening. The official talking should be the R, right or wrong.
Old Mon Nov 07, 2005, 03:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
2 choices:

[/B]
What if the R still refuses?

Do you offer to arm wrestle him? [/B][/QUOTE]

Well, first of all if you know you're right you do not say that you *think* you know what the rule is. You say you *know* what the rule is. And if you *know* what the rule is you make sure you don't let your partner take that away from you.

If you do not *know* the rule then you keep your mouth shut.
Old Mon Nov 07, 2005, 03:56pm
Official Forum Member

As a crew you all need to agree. It sounds childish but if two of you were saying that he could leave the game without playing and the R was saying that he had to play, you would be the najority. I understand that you don't want to strong arm a partner but how else would you come to an agreement? This is a tough situation. I have had to swallow my tongue many times because I was working with a veteran official that wanted to interpret the rules his way instead of the way they were supposed to be interpreted.

Has he since admitted that he kicked it? If so then maybe next time he would be more inclined to listen to what you and your partner have to say.
Old Mon Nov 07, 2005, 03:58pm
In Memoriam

Yes, that's a hard spot to be in.

Quote:
...i was U1 and told my parnter that he didn't have to play a second, it was the players that came out going to the bench had to SIT for a second!! So then we "Discussed" it and disagreed, so i told him what i think the rule was again, and he said "not" and i told him he was the ref and good luck....
NCAA game, eh?
I assume the assignor selected the Referee position.
Further, I assume the assignor has given you direction to either back up your partner or to rat him out if you [two of three members of the crew] could not agree with the decision.

What was U2 doing? ...Watching the players?
Why wasn't U2 brought in for help? A decision of 2 to 1 is easier to live with than a split decision.
mick
Old Mon Nov 07, 2005, 04:03pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
[/B]
Well, first of all if you know you're right you do not say that you *think* you know what the rule is. You say you *know* what the rule is. And if you *know* what the rule is you make sure you don't let your partner take that away from you.

If you do not *know* the rule then you keep your mouth shut. [/B][/QUOTE]Yabut.....if you do everything the way it's supposed to be done...get the R aside where it's just between the 2 of you gals....explain that you know you're 110%( ) right...offer to take any and all post-game flak if it does turn out that you're wrong....and the dickhead R still insists on doing it his way?

Now what, soothsayer?

Sayeth me some sooths, Sammy.....
Old Mon Nov 07, 2005, 04:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

If you do not *know* the rule then you keep your mouth shut.
Wonderfully said! This is much better than a majority rules type of thing. So much for witholding ignorance!!!
Old Mon Nov 07, 2005, 04:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:

If you do not *know* the rule then you keep your mouth shut. [/B]
Yabut.....if you do everything the way it's supposed to be done...get the R aside where it's just between the 2 of you gals....explain that you know you're 110%( ) right...offer to take any and all post-game flak if it does turn out that you're wrong....and the dickhead R still insists on doing it his way?

Now what, soothsayer?

Sayeth me some sooths, Sammy..... [/B][/QUOTE]

Then there's only 1 thing left to do, aint there Moe? You poke him in the eye, knock him on the head punch him in the stomach, go nyuck nyuck nyuck and run away shouting "Woo-woo-woo-woo-woo!"