The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Nov 04, 2005, 10:22am
Official Forum Member

A1 is fouled in the act of shooting. Official looks at clock :01. Horn Goes off. Do we put :01 back on the clock or clear the lane and shoot free throws and game over.
Old Fri Nov 04, 2005, 10:25am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to PAT THE REF
Put the 1 second back on...

If the clock was 00:01 it could of been 00:01.1 (i know very picky) but, since it would effect the outcome of the game, I would put the time back on.
Old Fri Nov 04, 2005, 10:26am
Official Forum Member

Foul occured before the horn. You have to give one second lag time to stop clock, so no, you don't put the time back on the clock. Shoot the free throws with the lane cleared.
Old Fri Nov 04, 2005, 10:28am
Official Forum Member

But if you have definite knowledge of the time on the clock... i.e. 1.2 sec etc... you would place the time back on the clock.
Old Fri Nov 04, 2005, 10:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by hbioteach
A1 is fouled in the act of shooting. Official looks at clock :01. Horn Goes off. Do we put :01 back on the clock or clear the lane and shoot free throws and game over.
No time goes back on the clock. Rule 5.6.3 A&B. I read and read (ok, skimmed) through the case book and really the only part that shed's some light on this situation was section 5.2.5. Anyone else know if there is a play like this in the case book?
Old Fri Nov 04, 2005, 10:34am
M.A.S.H.

The free throws are only shot if it can effect the outcome of the game. Otherwise, the game is over. 1 second lag time, 1 second ran off.
Old Fri Nov 04, 2005, 10:43am
Official Forum Member

What if the clock didn't have tenths of a second, couldn't the clock actually been at 1.9 but only showed 1??? you don't know, so you have to put the time back on....since you have definite knowledge that it did say 1.something
Old Fri Nov 04, 2005, 10:47am
M.A.S.H.

If the clock didn't have tenths of seconds displayed, then you don't have definite knowledge. You only have knowledge that there was 1 second remaining.
Old Fri Nov 04, 2005, 10:47am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by PAT THE REF
But if you have definite knowledge of the time on the clock... i.e. 1.2 sec etc... you would place the time back on the clock.
You can only put time back on the clock if you have definite knowledge that more than one second ran off, and if you have definite knowledge what the time should be. You are required to allow the clock to have a second of reaction time (which most people call lag time). So if you

(a)look just as you blow the whistle, and see that the clock says :07, and then the clock stops at :06, you can't put time back, because one second of lag time is given.

(b) blow the whistle, and then look, and the clock stops at :03, but you didn't look when you whistled, so you can't be sure that more than one second ran off, you can't put time back.

(c) look and blow the whistle at the same moment, and the clock says :05, and then stops at :02, you set the clock back to :05.

(d) whistle without ever looking, and the horn blows, and you don't know what the clock said, you can't put time back.

All of this only applies to "rulebook" officials. If you're one of hte "common sense" people, you just do what ever seems right at the moment.
Old Fri Nov 04, 2005, 10:49am
Official Forum Member

I first read this and though :00.1 seconds. Don't know why. The clock is alotted a 1 second lag time though, so by rule, I don't think you can put the time back on the clock. Common sense would say put it back though. I don't have my books with me, but will look this afternoon when I get home.
Old Fri Nov 04, 2005, 10:53am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by ThickSkin
Quote:
Originally posted by hbioteach
No time goes back on the clock. Rule 5.6.3 A&B. I read and read (ok, skimmed) through the case book and really the only part that shed's some light on this situation was section 5.2.5. Anyone else know if there is a play like this in the case book?
There's a good COMMENT at the end of case book play 5.10.1SitB that relates to all timing situations:

CB 5.10.1SitB-COMMENT: Timing mistakes which may be corrected are those which result from the timer's neglect to start or stop the clock as specified by the rules. The rules do not permit the referee to correct situations resulting in normal reaction time of the timer which results in a "lag" in stopping the clock. By interpretation, "lag" or "reaction" time is limited to one second when the official's signal is heard and/or seen clearly. One second of the "reaction" time is interpreted from the time the signal was made until the official glanced at the clock.

Old Fri Nov 04, 2005, 10:56am
Official Forum Member

if you have definite knowledge that there was 1.3 seconds left when you blow your whistle, do you put 1.3 back on or allow for the lag and put 0.3??? if you put 1.3, then in this case, it seems like to me only my opinion, that you would put 1 back on the clock without tenths....but that is just me... according to the rule listed in above post about lag time, when the official blew the whistle, then looked up and seen 1 second so the lag time(reaction time)has already passed so by that casebook play it seems like you would have to put the 1 second back on....

[Edited by jritchie on Nov 4th, 2005 at 11:00 AM]
Old Fri Nov 04, 2005, 10:58am
M.A.S.H.

Put 1.3 back on the clock.
Old Fri Nov 04, 2005, 11:02am
Official Forum Member

On a 00:00 clock, If 00:01 is remaining the clock has anywhere from 1.0 to 1.9 seconds remaining, if the clock says 00:00 it has any where from 0.0 - 0.9 seconds, (thats why we play the horn not the clock).... So why wouldn't we place 1.0 seconds left? I know about lag time of 1.0 but what if the clock has almost 2 seconds left (1.9) couldn't you tell it was longer?

Just food for thought
Old Fri Nov 04, 2005, 11:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by PAT THE REF
On a 00:00 clock, If 00:01 is remaining the clock has anywhere from 1.0 to 1.9 seconds remaining, if the clock says 00:00 it has any where from 0.0 - 0.9 seconds, (thats why we play the horn not the clock).... So why wouldn't we place 1.0 seconds left? I know about lag time of 1.0 but what if the clock has almost 2 seconds left (1.9) couldn't you tell it was longer?

Just food for thought
What about the clocks that show 00:01 whose time left is really 0 - .09 seconds?