The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Nov 04, 2005, 11:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jritchie
if you have definite knowledge that there was 1.3 seconds left when you blow your whistle, do you put 1.3 back on or allow for the lag and put 0.3??? if you put 1.3, then in this case, it seems like to me only my opinion, that you would put 1 back on the clock without tenths....but that is just me... according to the rule listed in above post about lag time, when the official blew the whistle, then looked up and seen 1 second so the lag time(reaction time)has already passed so by that casebook play it seems like you would have to put the 1 second back on....

[Edited by jritchie on Nov 4th, 2005 at 11:00 AM]
If you have definate knowledge and the "lag" exceeds that, you put the time that you have definate knowledeg of, in your case 1.3.
Old Fri Nov 04, 2005, 11:10am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by PAT THE REF
On a 00:00 clock, If 00:01 is remaining the clock has anywhere from 1.0 to 1.9 seconds remaining, if the clock says 00:00 it has any where from 0.0 - 0.9 seconds, (thats why we play the horn not the clock).... So why wouldn't we place 1.0 seconds left? I know about lag time of 1.0 but what if the clock has almost 2 seconds left (1.9) couldn't you tell it was longer?
Because it's not definite knowledge.

Read through all the 5.10 items in the case book, and then bring questions here after that. THere are 6 case plays and a comment.
Old Fri Nov 04, 2005, 12:47pm
Official Forum Member

Do the right thing.

I never had this situation in a game. But....
By rule, 1 second time lag. Clear the lane shoot the free throws if the outcome of the game is in question.

I know what the rule is, but If I know that my whistle blew before the horn,I'm putting time on the clock. No one is going to question this call. If I go by rule, the losing team's coach is going to go nuts (not that it really matters). Hard for anyone to understand hy time should not be put on the clock. NF should reconsider the lag time rule.
Old Fri Nov 04, 2005, 01:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker

All of this only applies to "rulebook" officials. If you're one of hte "common sense" people, you just do what ever seems right at the moment.
Ah, a good dose of bitterness to start the morning. Good to the last drop.

Z
Old Fri Nov 04, 2005, 02:29pm
M.A.S.H.

Re: Do the right thing.

Quote:
Originally posted by hbioteach
I never had this situation in a game. But....
By rule, 1 second time lag. Clear the lane shoot the free throws if the outcome of the game is in question.

I know what the rule is, but If I know that my whistle blew before the horn,I'm putting time on the clock. No one is going to question this call. If I go by rule, the losing team's coach is going to go nuts (not that it really matters). Hard for anyone to understand hy time should not be put on the clock. NF should reconsider the lag time rule.
So just how much time are you going to put back on the clock???
Old Fri Nov 04, 2005, 02:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Texref
I first read this and though :00.1 seconds. Don't know why. The clock is alotted a 1 second lag time though, so by rule, I don't think you can put the time back on the clock. Common sense would say put it back though. I don't have my books with me, but will look this afternoon when I get home.
Common sense for who? The team that gets another chance to win due the the additional time or the team that wishes for the game to be over since time ran out while they had the lead. Both would have reasonable explanations for why you should or should not put time back on the clock.

If there is less than 1 second that comes off the clock after the whistle such that time expires, the team that is ahead has won the game.
Old Fri Nov 04, 2005, 04:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
Originally posted by ThickSkin
Quote:
A1 is fouled in the act of shooting. Official looks at clock :01. Horn Goes off. Do we put :01 back on the clock or clear the lane and shoot free throws and game over.
No time goes back on the clock. Rule 5.6.3 A&B. I read and read (ok, skimmed) through the case book and really the only part that shed's some light on this situation was section 5.2.5. Anyone else know if there is a play like this in the case book?
There's a good COMMENT at the end of case book play 5.10.1SitB that relates to all timing situations:

CB 5.10.1SitB-COMMENT: Timing mistakes which may be corrected are those which result from the timer's neglect to start or stop the clock as specified by the rules. The rules do not permit the referee to correct situations resulting in normal reaction time of the timer which results in a "lag" in stopping the clock. By interpretation, "lag" or "reaction" time is limited to one second when the official's signal is heard and/or seen clearly. One second of the "reaction" time is interpreted from the time the signal was made until the official glanced at the clock.

That says to me that if you blow your whistle and then look at the clock, the interval between whistle and look IS the lag time, you DO NOT need to see an additional second run off.

So if you were not looking at the clock when you blew the whistle, you can correct it to the time you saw when you did look.

The only time you don't correct is if you are looking at the clock when you blow your whistle and a second or less comes off.
Old Fri Nov 04, 2005, 05:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by PAT THE REF
On a 00:00 clock, If 00:01 is remaining the clock has anywhere from 1.0 to 1.9 seconds remaining, if the clock says 00:00 it has any where from 0.0 - 0.9 seconds, (thats why we play the horn not the clock).... So why wouldn't we place 1.0 seconds left? I know about lag time of 1.0 but what if the clock has almost 2 seconds left (1.9) couldn't you tell it was longer?

Just food for thought
Give me a break- If the clock has no tenths, 1 second is one second. Who cares what we may think about the internal clock- 99% of the clocks out there have the horn go off when the diplay hits 0
Old Fri Nov 04, 2005, 05:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
A1 is fouled in the act of shooting. Official looks at clock :01. Horn Goes off. Do we put :01 back on the clock or clear the lane and shoot free throws and game over.
Yes you correct the time.

Lag time applies when you are LOOKING at the clock as the whistle blows.

In this situation you have whistle, then look, and then horn. By the comment in 5.10, the interval between whistle and look is to be INTERPRETED as the lag time.

The clock is not corrected if you have look then whistle or look and whistle together, 1 second or less on the clock and then horn.
Old Fri Nov 04, 2005, 06:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by zebraman
Quote:

All of this only applies to "rulebook" officials. If you're one of hte "common sense" people, you just do what ever seems right at the moment.
Ah, a good dose of bitterness to start the morning. Good to the last drop.

Z
Nope. Not bitter. Just wanting to avoid the fruitless arguements.
Old Fri Nov 04, 2005, 07:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Uh huh, sure you were. Since there was no ref screw-ups leading to an unfair advantage in the play in this thread, I can't imagine anyone having an issue with doing it strictly by rule.

If you're going to be petty and sarcastic, you could at least own up to it.

Z
Old Fri Nov 04, 2005, 08:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:

Uh huh, sure you were. Since there was no ref screw-ups leading to an unfair advantage in the play in this thread, I can't imagine anyone having an issue with doing it strictly by rule.

If you're going to be petty and sarcastic, you could at least own up to it.

Z
Who's bitter?

There was a time when you apologized to me, now I guess it's my turn. If I've offended you, I'm sorry. I had no intention to do so.
Old Fri Nov 04, 2005, 09:22pm
Official Forum Member

OK, let's move on.
Z
Old Fri Nov 04, 2005, 10:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
OK, let's move on.
Z
Cool!
Old Sat Nov 05, 2005, 12:04am
Official Forum Member

Question

How in the world did we get two pages of posts out of that question?