The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Nov 04, 2005, 10:02am
Official Forum Member

The traveling quiz is killing me. I need to know the answer to one of the questions now or I am going to go crazy. If A2 passes to A1. A1 throws the ball over B1's head and runs to retreive the ball, takes one dribble and shoots a lay-up. Is this traveling?

You are not allowed to pass the ball to youself right? If it had been a shot attempt then it would have been legal. B/c it was a pass to oneself it's traveling RIGHT?
Old Fri Nov 04, 2005, 10:05am
Official Forum Member

If the ball hit the ground before A1 touches it again, it is a legal dribble. As stated in the other post, it is just not one that is usually seen.
Old Fri Nov 04, 2005, 10:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Texref
If the ball hit the ground before A1 touches it again, it is a legal dribble. As stated in the other post, it is just not one that is usually seen.
My question is how is that a legal dribble? It wasnt a dribble at all. It was a pass right? Tossing the ball over a defensive players head, then retrieving it for a layup would constitue a pass to oneself right?
Old Fri Nov 04, 2005, 10:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Nate1224hoops
The traveling quiz is killing me. I need to know the answer to one of the questions now or I am going to go crazy. If A2 passes to A1. A1 throws the ball over B1's head and runs to retreive the ball, takes one dribble and shoots a lay-up. Is this traveling?

You are not allowed to pass the ball to youself right? If it had been a shot attempt then it would have been legal. B/c it was a pass to oneself it's traveling RIGHT?
The difference between what your post says and the question on the quiz is that the ball hit the floor before A1 touched it in the quiz. In your question he retrieves the ball then dribbles. This is a violation because the ball didn't touch the floor before he dribbled.
Old Fri Nov 04, 2005, 10:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ThickSkin
Quote:

The difference between what your post says and the question on the quiz is that the ball hit the floor before A1 touched it in the quiz. In your question he retrieves the ball then dribbles. This is a violation because the ball didn't touch the floor before he dribbled.
Yeah I screwed it up. Sorry. However using what the quiz says, I still dont understand how it can constitue a dribble just b/c it hit the floor before being retrieved.
Old Fri Nov 04, 2005, 10:12am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
My question is how is that a legal dribble? It wasnt a dribble at all. It was a pass right? Tossing the ball over a defensive players head, then retrieving it for a layup would constitue a pass to oneself right?
It is all a matter of how you look at it. When or if you take the test, you will be in serious trouble if you don't take the question for what it is worth. If the question deals with traveling and a dribble don't complicate it by adding in that you think it is a pass. As someone stated a few days ago, you must have an understanding of rule 4. This will spell out what a legal dribble is or an airborne shooter!
Old Fri Nov 04, 2005, 10:14am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to OldCoachNewRef
I guess you just need to think of "How does a legal dribble begin?" That should answer your question.
Old Fri Nov 04, 2005, 10:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ThickSkin
Quote:
Quote:
It is all a matter of how you look at it. When or if you take the test, you will be in serious trouble if you don't take the question for what it is worth. If the question deals with traveling and a dribble don't complicate it by adding in that you think it is a pass. As someone stated a few days ago, you must have an understanding of rule 4. This will spell out what a legal dribble is or an airborne shooter!
Thanks for the advice. But in the example, it doesnt use the word dribble or pass. So then its a judgment call. I dont think you toss the ball over a players head to execute a dribble. If that were the case lets suppose A1 is being hounded all night by B1...B1 is much quicker and has been stealing the ball form A1 on a regular basis. So A1 could, stading at the top of the key, toss the ball to the corner and retrieve it after it bounces once, just to keep from having to dribble? Doesnt make since.
Old Fri Nov 04, 2005, 10:19am
Official Forum Member

Yeah I screwed it up. Sorry. However using what the quiz says, I still dont understand how it can constitue a dribble just b/c it hit the floor before being retrieved.

Read the definition of a dribble. I don't have my Fed books, but here are the first three articles from NCAA:

Section 18.Dribble
Art.1.A dribble is ball movement caused by a player in control who bats, pushes or taps the ball to the playing court once or several times.
Art.2.The dribble may be started by pushing, throwing, tapping or batting the ball to the playing court.
Art.3.During a dribble, the ball may be batted into the air, provided thatit is permitted to strike the playing court one or more times before the ball is touched again with either hand.

The player "threw" the ball to start the dribble. As long as the "throw" strikes the court before the player, it constitutes a dribble. It is an ugly play, and one that I would venture a guess that nearly 50% (just a guess) would call a travel.
Old Fri Nov 04, 2005, 10:22am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to OldCoachNewRef
When the ball hit the floor, it was the start of a legal dribble (bat, throw, toss may start a legal dribble). What you described is legal. He could also continue his dribble once in the corner if he wanted. (TexRef beat me to the punch. Sorry if this is redundant.)

[Edited by OldCoachNewRef on Nov 4th, 2005 at 10:27 AM]
Old Fri Nov 04, 2005, 10:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Read the definition of a dribble. I don't have my Fed books, but here are the first three articles from NCAA:

Section 18.Dribble
Art.1.A dribble is ball movement caused by a player in control who bats, pushes or taps the ball to the playing court once or several times.
Art.2.The dribble may be started by pushing, throwing, tapping or batting the ball to the playing court.
Art.3.During a dribble, the ball may be batted into the air, provided thatit is permitted to strike the playing court one or more times before the ball is touched again with either hand.

The player "threw" the ball to start the dribble. As long as the "throw" strikes the court before the player, it constitutes a dribble. It is an ugly play, and one that I would venture a guess that nearly 50% (just a guess) would call a travel.
I understand what your saying. Thanks. What then would consitute a pass to oneself, retrieving the ball before it contacts the floor?
Old Fri Nov 04, 2005, 10:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
What then would consitute a pass to oneself, retrieving the ball before it contacts the floor?
Absolutely!
Old Fri Nov 04, 2005, 10:40am
Official Forum Member

It makes sense but it doesn't you know? I am looking at the rule book, I understand. But I dont get how a player could move the ball 15-20feet by tossing the ball in the air and retrieving it after a bounce. I guess it doesnt matter either if the player in going toward or away from the basket?
Old Fri Nov 04, 2005, 10:50am
Official Forum Member

Now if the player has already dribbled, none of this is legal, whether it hits the floor or not!! Because you are not able to start another dribble after you have used it up! So the call would be what?? (double dribble or traveling)
Old Fri Nov 04, 2005, 10:51am
Official Forum Member

[) Because you are not able to start another dribble after you have used it up! So the call would be what?? (double dribble or traveling) [/B][/QUOTE]

Double Dribble