The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Nov 06, 2005, 12:10am
Official Forum Member

In a case like the one Panda Bear describes, am I correct that the official can not assess the bench technical, which comes with an indirect to the coach, until after the official has informed the coach that the player has been ejected, making him bench personnel? If so, it is critical that we officials avoid being distracted and follow procedure of informing the coach during an ugly situation.
Old Mon Nov 07, 2005, 10:43am
In Time Out

Reply to Rookie Dude's question

I had intentionally not been specific about the game because I didn't want to turn the question about the rules into a critique, but, yes it was. In fact, a cross-state playoff with officials from a 3rd. district not otherwise involved.

As stated, I believe the decision was probably to avoid escalating the matter further by getting into a back-and-forth exchange. And the outcome was an upset, making the matter even more delicate.

Which is exactly why some of us were discussing it locally, and now here. What happened can't be changed. But this is why, in my opinion, its always good for officials (and others) involved in any sport to think about unusual events that arise, not to be critical of others handling, but to better prepare for possible future similar events.

Don't fall into the trap of assuming it will never happen to you because you are always so much more on top of the situation!