The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Nov 01, 2005, 10:59am
Official Forum Member

player steals pass or chases loose ball with one downward push "driblle?" and a two hand "catch"...... an official was telling me that does not count as a dribble and player has dribble left. true???????? or not?
Old Tue Nov 01, 2005, 11:03am
Official Forum Member

not true.
Old Tue Nov 01, 2005, 11:13am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
FED 4-15-4, Note 2 "A player is not dribbling. . . when he/she bats a rebound or pass away from other players who are attempting to get it. The player is not in control under these conditions."

Maybe this is what the official was thinking about.
Old Tue Nov 01, 2005, 11:21am
Official Forum Member

It depends

In the judgement of the official was the player in control when the downward push was made? For example, if I deflect the ball over my opponents head, I do not have to let the ball touch the floor before catching it and starting a dribble. The deflection was not in control of the player. You can't start a dribble without control.

Case Play 4.15.1 Situation A: Ruling: ....The dribble does not begin until A1 has gained control.

Case Play 4.15.1 Situation B:

A1's throw-in pass is beyond A2. (A) A2 reaches out and slaps the ball toward A's basket; or (b) A2 muffs the pass. In both situations, A2 then gains control and dribbles to the basket and scores. Ruling: No violation in etiher (a) or (b).

So did the player steal the ball by deflecting it without exhibiting control? If so then he may catch the ball and then dribble. On chasing the loose ball, when did the downward push occur? Is that was caused the loose ball? Was A1 in control of the ball and B1 slapped it away causing a downward push? If so, then again you don't have control and B1 may catch and then start a dribble.