The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Oct 31, 2005, 12:47pm
Official Forum Member

in nfhs the trail comes all the way to the baseline for the throw in.
But in NCAA, the Lead is supposed to come out and take it...

i've heard several conversations on who supposed to have the count and who supposed to chop time in!

my question who "Actually supposed to have it"???

i'm thinking that if the lead is administering the throw, they should have the count and chop in time, but if that is happening, who is watching the post play??? Trail?? just want to be clear on how this mechanic is supposed to be done, and who has what responsibilities!!! Does primarys change till ball comes in??? thanks

Old Mon Oct 31, 2005, 12:50pm
Do not give a damn!!

This is the very reason my college assignor told us not to use this mechanic. It makes not since for the Lead to bounce the ball and then have the trail give the count. I am not sure what the NCAA was thinking on this one.

Peace
Old Mon Oct 31, 2005, 12:55pm
Official Forum Member

that is why i asked, i have heard a hundred different versions and just wanted to know the right way when the situation happens the first play down the court!
Old Mon Oct 31, 2005, 01:21pm
Official Forum Member

In NCAA-W, the mechanic is for the L to bounce it to the player, count and chop. (BTW, the T trail mirrors the chop so it's easier for the table to see it.) While the L watches the throw-in, the T watches the post players. I don't see it as much different than having the ball go OOB on the baseline near the corner. You still have the issue of what to watch.

If coverage presents too much of a problem, you could always do the little trick of edging the throw-in back up the sideline so the the L has no problem with administering it.

(Used with permission.)
Old Mon Oct 31, 2005, 01:29pm
Official Forum Member

I prefer to have the lead pass the ball in, count and chop. As a trail the closer I get to the baseline the less of the court I can see. Once the ball is inbounded successfully lead can quickly go back to post and trail can take normal primary.
Old Mon Oct 31, 2005, 01:31pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally posted by twref
I prefer to have the lead pass the ball in, count and chop. As a trail the closer I get to the baseline the less of the court I can see. Once the ball is inbounded successfully lead can quickly go back to post and trail can take normal primary.
This is why the Trail bounces the ball. You bounce to get good coverage.

Peace
Old Mon Oct 31, 2005, 01:33pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally posted by M&M Guy
In NCAA-W, the mechanic is for the L to bounce it to the player, count and chop. (BTW, the T trail mirrors the chop so it's easier for the table to see it.) While the L watches the throw-in, the T watches the post players. I don't see it as much different than having the ball go OOB on the baseline near the corner. You still have the issue of what to watch.

If coverage presents too much of a problem, you could always do the little trick of edging the throw-in back up the sideline so the the L has no problem with administering it.
What if he is not talking about NCAA Women's Mechanics? The mechanics for the Men's side are different.

Peace
Old Mon Oct 31, 2005, 01:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge

What if he is not talking about NCAA Women's Mechanics? The mechanics for the Men's side are different.

Peace
I know, that's why I mentioned the disclaimer.

How is the baseline throw-in handled when it's close to the corner? Wouldn't that be handled the same as a sideline throw-in administered by the L?

I mentioned the "trick" of sliding the spot up towards the T so the T can handle the throw-in because that's something we do as well. Of course, how my partners and I are going to handle this can be covered in the pre-game.

(Used with permission.)
Old Mon Oct 31, 2005, 02:06pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Quote:

Peace

How is the baseline throw-in handled when it's close to the corner? Wouldn't that be handled the same as a sideline throw-in administered by the L?
Yes & no.

Yes because the L's attention is diverted from the post because of the throw-in in both cases.

No because on the sideline throw-in the line is the T's but the throw-in responsibility is the L. So by definition you have 4 eyes looking at that sideline.

Which is why I've been told the L admninister this throw-in and immediately gives it up to the T: count, violations & chop.

Old Mon Oct 31, 2005, 02:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
Quote:
Quote:

Peace

Yes & no.

Yes because the L's attention is diverted from the post because of the throw-in in both cases.

No because on the sideline throw-in the line is the T's but the throw-in responsibility is the L. So by definition you have 4 eyes looking at that sideline.

Which is why I've been told the L admninister this throw-in and immediately gives it up to the T: count, violations & chop.

Yuck. Now I can see the confusion.

Look, up in the sky - it's a bird, it's a plane, it's a pre-game!...

(Used with permission.)
Old Tue Nov 01, 2005, 02:43pm
Official Forum Member

So if that is how we are told to do it, why did we even change it in the first place, i thought that was why we went to the bounce pass in the first place, to get the trail back in a better position to officiate... I agree, they really messed this one up and need to take a look a lot deeper at this situation!!!! Definitely a good place for a pre-game discussion!