The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   3 man mechanic on sideline throw in below free throw line extended!!!! (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/22952-3-man-mechanic-sideline-throw-below-free-throw-line-extended.html)

jritchie Mon Oct 31, 2005 12:47pm

in nfhs the trail comes all the way to the baseline for the throw in.
But in NCAA, the Lead is supposed to come out and take it...

i've heard several conversations on who supposed to have the count and who supposed to chop time in!

my question who "Actually supposed to have it"???

i'm thinking that if the lead is administering the throw, they should have the count and chop in time, but if that is happening, who is watching the post play??? Trail?? just want to be clear on how this mechanic is supposed to be done, and who has what responsibilities!!! Does primarys change till ball comes in??? thanks

JRutledge Mon Oct 31, 2005 12:50pm

This is the very reason my college assignor told us not to use this mechanic. It makes not since for the Lead to bounce the ball and then have the trail give the count. I am not sure what the NCAA was thinking on this one.

Peace

jritchie Mon Oct 31, 2005 12:55pm

that is why i asked, i have heard a hundred different versions and just wanted to know the right way when the situation happens the first play down the court! :)

M&M Guy Mon Oct 31, 2005 01:21pm

In NCAA-W, the mechanic is for the L to bounce it to the player, count and chop. (BTW, the T trail mirrors the chop so it's easier for the table to see it.) While the L watches the throw-in, the T watches the post players. I don't see it as much different than having the ball go OOB on the baseline near the corner. You still have the issue of what to watch.

If coverage presents too much of a problem, you could always do the little trick of edging the throw-in back up the sideline so the the L has no problem with administering it.

twref Mon Oct 31, 2005 01:29pm

I prefer to have the lead pass the ball in, count and chop. As a trail the closer I get to the baseline the less of the court I can see. Once the ball is inbounded successfully lead can quickly go back to post and trail can take normal primary.

JRutledge Mon Oct 31, 2005 01:31pm

Quote:

Originally posted by twref
I prefer to have the lead pass the ball in, count and chop. As a trail the closer I get to the baseline the less of the court I can see. Once the ball is inbounded successfully lead can quickly go back to post and trail can take normal primary.
This is why the Trail bounces the ball. You bounce to get good coverage.

Peace

JRutledge Mon Oct 31, 2005 01:33pm

Quote:

Originally posted by M&M Guy
In NCAA-W, the mechanic is for the L to bounce it to the player, count and chop. (BTW, the T trail mirrors the chop so it's easier for the table to see it.) While the L watches the throw-in, the T watches the post players. I don't see it as much different than having the ball go OOB on the baseline near the corner. You still have the issue of what to watch.

If coverage presents too much of a problem, you could always do the little trick of edging the throw-in back up the sideline so the the L has no problem with administering it.

What if he is not talking about NCAA Women's Mechanics? The mechanics for the Men's side are different.

Peace

M&M Guy Mon Oct 31, 2005 01:44pm

Quote:

Originally posted by JRutledge

What if he is not talking about NCAA Women's Mechanics? The mechanics for the Men's side are different.

Peace

I know, that's why I mentioned the disclaimer.

How is the baseline throw-in handled when it's close to the corner? Wouldn't that be handled the same as a sideline throw-in administered by the L?

I mentioned the "trick" of sliding the spot up towards the T so the T can handle the throw-in because that's something we do as well. Of course, how my partners and I are going to handle this can be covered in the pre-game.

Dan_ref Mon Oct 31, 2005 02:06pm

Quote:

Quote:

Peace

How is the baseline throw-in handled when it's close to the corner? Wouldn't that be handled the same as a sideline throw-in administered by the L?

Yes & no.

Yes because the L's attention is diverted from the post because of the throw-in in both cases.

No because on the sideline throw-in the line is the T's but the throw-in responsibility is the L. So by definition you have 4 eyes looking at that sideline.

Which is why I've been told the L admninister this throw-in and immediately gives it up to the T: count, violations & chop.

M&M Guy Mon Oct 31, 2005 02:36pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Dan_ref
Quote:

Quote:

Peace

Yes & no.

Yes because the L's attention is diverted from the post because of the throw-in in both cases.

No because on the sideline throw-in the line is the T's but the throw-in responsibility is the L. So by definition you have 4 eyes looking at that sideline.

Which is why I've been told the L admninister this throw-in and immediately gives it up to the T: count, violations & chop.

Yuck. Now I can see the confusion.

Look, up in the sky - it's a bird, it's a plane, it's a pre-game!...

jritchie Tue Nov 01, 2005 02:43pm

So if that is how we are told to do it, why did we even change it in the first place, i thought that was why we went to the bounce pass in the first place, to get the trail back in a better position to officiate... I agree, they really messed this one up and need to take a look a lot deeper at this situation!!!! Definitely a good place for a pre-game discussion!