The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Nov 01, 2005, 03:57pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
The issue for many of us is not whether the comments and behavior concerns us. The issue for me is it worth my time to be treated in a way that is not becoming of the event. If you like these games more power to you. I just think people around children would understand that these kids are watching. We always want to blame the pros for their behavior and the adults these kids actually know and interact with are saying things these kids can see for themselves. It is one thing to show the actions of someone these kids will never meet, it is quite another to see that behavior from a Dad or Mom that everyone on the team knows. Parents and teachers are real role models, not some guy on TV.

Peace
The thing about these games is it takes good officials and makes them look terrible. Working this type of game doesn't help me prepare for the season and doesn't make me better. I agree with JRut -- it's either (1) doing it for the money or (2) not doing them. I choose (2) unless it's a friend of mine begging for a partner.
Old Tue Nov 01, 2005, 06:34pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
We always want to blame the pros for their behavior and the adults these kids actually know and interact with are saying things these kids can see for themselves. It is one thing to show the actions of someone these kids will never meet, it is quite another to see that behavior from a Dad or Mom that everyone on the team knows.
I agree -- for kids who have their parents around. A lot of kids these days are "latchkey" and don't see much of their parents. Then the pros become more important. But even so, the friends' parents, the coach the work under, the teacher who's coaching all have an enormous influence. These are the most important adults, and they aren't behaving in ways they want their kids to behave. Really sad.

Old Wed Nov 02, 2005, 12:06am
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Fronheiser

The thing about these games is it takes good officials and makes them look terrible.
Very well put.

Lonesome Dove

Last edited by just another ref; Sun Jan 18, 2009 at 04:20am.
Old Wed Nov 02, 2005, 01:07am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker

I agree -- for kids who have their parents around. A lot of kids these days are "latchkey" and don't see much of their parents. Then the pros become more important. But even so, the friends' parents, the coach the work under, the teacher who's coaching all have an enormous influence. These are the most important adults, and they aren't behaving in ways they want their kids to behave. Really sad.

I do not buy that "latchkey" argument. Many kids did not have their parents around. My family is a good example. My Grandmother worked and did not stay home with her kids every waking moment and all but one got a college education. The only one that did not go to college ended up being the most successful.

The bottom line is there are kids that have everything and they act like little brats because their parents never check them. It is really bad with the kids that have everything. They think their kids above approach and being told what to do by other adults. In my time if I did something wrong my parents thanked the adult. Now, if another adult looks crossed-eyed at their kid they want to get a lawyer. We have a parenting problem, not a kid problem.

Peace
Old Wed Nov 02, 2005, 01:12am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
I do not buy that "latchkey" argument. Many kids did not have their parents around. My family is a good example. My Grandmother worked and did not stay home with her kids every waking moment and all but one got a college education. The only one that did not go to college ended up being the most successful.

The bottom line is there are kids that have everything and they act like little brats because their parents never check them. It is really bad with the kids that have everything. They think their kids above approach and being told what to do by other adults. In my time if I did something wrong my parents thanked the adult. Now, if another adult looks crossed-eyed at their kid they want to get a lawyer. We have a parenting problem, not a kid problem.

Peace
Just another consequence of today's shallow, consumption-crazy, selfish society. Look at what everyone's been watching on TV for the last several years - reality television. That says it all.
Old Wed Nov 02, 2005, 12:17pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to SeanFitzRef
Quote:
Originally posted by Rich Fronheiser
The thing about these games is it takes good officials and makes them look terrible. Working this type of game doesn't help me prepare for the season and doesn't make me better. I agree with JRut -- it's either (1) doing it for the money or (2) not doing them. I choose (2) unless it's a friend of mine begging for a partner.
Sorry fellas, beg to differ on this one. I could care less about how I 'look' in these games, money not the object. I do think that these games are (1) a good training ground for learning to use judgement on calls, and (2)an opportunity to get in rhythym for the upcoming season. All of us don't have the opportunity to work games in the summer, and I don't want my first HS game of the season to be my first game of the season as well.
Old Wed Nov 02, 2005, 01:29pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by SeanFitzRef
Quote:
Originally posted by Rich Fronheiser
Sorry fellas, beg to differ on this one. I could care less about how I 'look' in these games, money not the object. I do think that these games are (1) a good training ground for learning to use judgement on calls, and (2)an opportunity to get in rhythym for the upcoming season. All of us don't have the opportunity to work games in the summer, and I don't want my first HS game of the season to be my first game of the season as well.
Working middle school there is little opportunity to apply advantage/disadvantage they way you MUST in a varsity game. In a middle school game just about every bit of on-ball contact is a foul, and needs to be for various reasons.

I just find that working these games fouls me up, just like working a freshman high school baseball game behind the plate is a bad idea the day before working a college game.

But, to each his own. I work a scrimmage or two to shake out the cobwebs and I'm happy to get going with the season. If you like working these games, have fun. I'd rather stay at home with my wife/daughter. 40 games a season is enough for me, which is why I've stopped working rec ball and weekend youth games as well.
Old Wed Nov 02, 2005, 01:54pm
Do not give a damn!!

I agree with Rich. All that lower level stuff does not help me with the majority of my HS games. For one you hardly ever work JH games as a 3 Person crew. Rarely are those games above the rim or purposely physical. I just see these games more as a way to think basketball, but it does not at all prepare me for what will happen when the regular season starts. That is why I go to scrimmages and as many as I can get my hands on. I am trying to take my game to another level. JH games are for money, they certainly do not help improve me game.

It these games help you, more power to you.

Peace
Old Wed Nov 02, 2005, 02:01pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref

Since we're pounding away at Sean here I'll take my turn.

JH games are in no way tune-up games. If you enjoy working them or enjoy the money then fine. Or maybe you're obligated somehow, or feel some loyalty to the guy who assigns them. Fine.

But to tune up work some scrimmages at and above the level you normally work. Go watch an early season contest or scrimmage.