The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Oct 28, 2005, 03:11pm
Official Forum Member

I have coached Jr. High boys soccer, JV girls basketball, and varsity field hockey (I didn't know anything about it, but I was willing to do it.) for one year each. I coached JV boys basketball for three years and was then elevated to the varsity position where I coached for about eight years. I coached varsity softball for seven years. I also was an unpaid assistant for the varsity baseball team for or three years, and for the varsity basketball team for one year. These positions were all in a fairly small school in New Hampshire. I was also assistant coach for two boys AAU teams, 16-and-under and 17-and-under, that participated in the national tournament.
Old Fri Oct 28, 2005, 03:42pm
Official Forum Member

I've been on all sides of the ball. Played high school and college ball, also coached high school ball for three years as an assistant. I really think it has helped me as an official to understand all three sides.
Old Fri Oct 28, 2005, 04:37pm
Official Forum Member

Talking awesome!

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett
I coach our local hacky-sack team. The referees are all penguins who use air-raid sirens instead of whistles. Last week, we had a call go against us that was a backcourt sticky wicket during a penalty box timeout while not in team control after coming in from OOB with just one foot on the pitcher's rubber.
(now posted on my fridge!)
Old Fri Oct 28, 2005, 04:55pm
Official Forum Member

Re: awesome!

Quote:
Originally posted by tweetz
Quote:
I coach our local hacky-sack team. The referees are all penguins who use air-raid sirens instead of whistles. Last week, we had a call go against us that was a backcourt sticky wicket during a penalty box timeout while not in team control after coming in from OOB with just one foot on the pitcher's rubber.
Wow, I would love to see your fridge.

Mark, I think tweetz might have some meds you can use...

(Used with permission.)
Old Fri Oct 28, 2005, 04:57pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Red face Re: awesome!

Quote:
Originally posted by tweetz
Quote:
Don't forget to send me my royalty check.
Old Fri Oct 28, 2005, 07:09pm
Official Forum Member

I coached at the youth level for several years. Started reffing when official didn't show for a game after mine. Liked it so much I never went back to coaching after that year. BTW, one of the kids I coached went on to play 4 years at ND. He could almost beat me 1 0n 1 when he was 12.

Mregor
Old Fri Oct 28, 2005, 10:51pm
Official Forum Member

23 years of high school coaching. I've coached football, boys basketball, girls basketball, golf, tennis, and currently fast pitch softball. I even served 12 years as a high school athletic director. I am also currently a high school assistant principal. This is my second year as a basketball official and I love it. Many years ago as a younger man, I worked high school baseball for eight consecutive years before becoming a high school basketball head coach.

I've enjoyed every aspect of my career with high school athletics and I believe my varied experiences help me as both a coach and an official.

I think working both sides of the game (coaching and officiating) helps me with communication skills. I think I have a better approach toward officials when I'm coaching and a better approach toward coaches when I'm officiating.

Old Sat Oct 29, 2005, 10:28am
Official Forum Member

I have been on both sides of the ball. I've coached myself for over thirty years and been reffing three years and I agree with everyone else. It has improved my communication skills with coaches, players and myself. The interpersonal skills I have developed is priceless on and off the court.
Old Sat Oct 29, 2005, 11:26am
Official Forum Member

Middle School Teacher Coach for one year...coached football, basketball and track. Salary---$11,690 (Idaho,1979)

Coached Little League Football, Baseball, Basketball...approx. 7 years total. Salary--$0 (Loved it)

Officiated Basketball since 1988. Salary---(well, you know) and still enjoying it!

Got out of teaching...but love staying connected to the game with officiating.
For the most part, there are good people involved in athletics...and most of us have something in common, we enjoy the competition.
Richland, WA
Old Sat Oct 29, 2005, 12:27pm
In Memoriam

Arrow

I never coached basketball, but I did ride pine my junior year.
Old Sat Oct 29, 2005, 12:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Were you crossing the International Date Line?
Old Sat Oct 29, 2005, 04:53pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Red face

Quote:
Originally posted by canuckrefguy
Quote:
Were you crossing the International Date Line?
No. That would be silly.
Old Sat Oct 29, 2005, 09:53pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to SeanFitzRef
???????

Quote:
Originally posted by truerookie
It has improved my communication skills with coaches, players and myself.

Huh??? Do you answer back? Previously had a lot of self arguments?

I'm surprised no one else picked up on this.

Old Sat Oct 29, 2005, 11:12pm
Official Forum Member

>>refs that used to be coaches tend to be pretty good refs to work with. But coaches that used to be refs are awful to ref for.<<

My experience is almost universally the OPPOSITE.

However, the coach turned administrator turned official would likely fit well in your description (in my experience), as would officials who have worked for a while (3-5+ years).

[Edited by Texas Aggie on Oct 30th, 2005 at 12:14 AM]
Old Sun Oct 30, 2005, 09:48pm
Official Forum Member

I have coached MS girls/boys and HS varsity girls/boys. I gave it up for reffing 4 years ago when my first child was born. We will have a new boys varsity coach at the school this year. Great guy who did a great job with our MS team last year-He has asked me to help out and assistant coach-this year. Not sure if I will find the time.