The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Oct 27, 2005, 11:43am
Official Forum Member

in our (nfhs) regioinal meeting last night this was brought up....thinking about what we have talked about the last week or so, i new i was correct but caught a lot of flack from senior officials that didn't understand the new rule!!!!

A1 shooting, ball is in flight, A2 and B2 fighting for rebounding position, get too rough, double foul on A2 and B2. what you got if:

1. ball goes in?
2. ball doesn't go in?

In 1, double foul, basket counts, POI is Team B gets ball oob for throw in under A's basket and gets baseline, Correct?

In 2, double foul, POI would be arrow because of no possession on ball in flight, ball OOB under A's basket to whoever has the arrow, correct?

Our senior officials tried to go arrow both times and wouldn't listen to any conversation...pitiful

[Edited by jritchie on Oct 27th, 2005 at 12:46 PM]
Old Thu Oct 27, 2005, 01:16pm
Official Forum Member

From the IHSA rules interpretion meeting, you got it exactly right.
Old Thu Oct 27, 2005, 07:23pm
Official Forum Member

That would be my opinion as well. We have tossed this rule around our association as well putting twists to it such as "when is a shot a shot". Is an ally oop a shot or a pass? At what point can you determine? Same as with a last minute heave-ho from 3/4ths court with a player streaking towards the basket - shot? pass?
Old Thu Oct 27, 2005, 09:30pm
Official Forum Member

The way I understand the rule, you got it!
Old Mon Oct 31, 2005, 03:19pm
Official Forum Member

My understanding is that the new rule only effects situations in which team control exists. On a shot attempt because there is no longer team control, the ruling would be the same as last year. Go to the arrow. A main reason the rule was instituted was to make sure the team in control would not be penalized in a double foul situation, possibly losing the ball due to the arrow.
Old Mon Oct 31, 2005, 03:30pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by pauli
My understanding is that the new rule only effects situations in which team control exists. On a shot attempt because there is no longer team control, the ruling would be the same as last year. Go to the arrow. A main reason the rule was instituted was to make sure the team in control would not be penalized in a double foul situation, possibly losing the ball due to the arrow.
You might change your "understanding" after you read case book play 8.7SitA.
Old Mon Oct 31, 2005, 03:57pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Pauli,

I wrote this in a thread earlier this week, and I'm too lazy to type out a whole new response. So hopefully, this will help your understanding of the new rule:

Quote:
The reason you are confused here is that you stopped quoting the rule too soon. 4-36-2c says ". . .when neither team is in control and no goal, infraction, nor end of quarter/extra period is involved." Yes, the ball is dead, but if there's an infraction (foul or traveling violation, for example), goal, or end of period, then we know who is going to get the ball next. And that's where we resume.

So, for example, B1 fouls A1 as A1 releases a try for goal. Official sounds the whistle for the personal foul. The try is unsuccessful. After the ball has become dead, A1 and B1 curse at each other. Official calls a double technical foul.

So now what? The ball is dead with neither team in control. What's the POI? Well, b/c there was an infraction (B1's personal foul), we know that A1 would have had control if the double T had not occured. Therefore, we resume by awarding A1 2 FTs with players lined up along the lane and continue the game as after any "normal" FTs.

Make sense?