The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Oct 25, 2005, 07:48am
Official Forum Member

Travelling Question: A1 gains possession of the ball with one knee on the floor. A1 lifts knee and stands up. Different answer in NCAA than NFHS?
Old Tue Oct 25, 2005, 07:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jeff the Ref
Travelling Question: A1 gains possession of the ball with one knee on the floor. A1 lifts knee and stands up. Different answer in NCAA than NFHS?
I don't think so.
Old Tue Oct 25, 2005, 08:53am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Taking the NCAA test, huh, Jeff? Me, too. In the test, it specifically says "without moving the pivot foot". I think that's supposed to be a clue that it's legal. But I don't know for sure. In HS, definitely a violation. In NCAA, I would have thought that it was also a violation. But with the way it's worded in the question, I'm not 100% sure.
Old Tue Oct 25, 2005, 09:00am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Taking the NCAA test, huh, Jeff? Me, too. In the test, it specifically says "without moving the pivot foot". I think that's supposed to be a clue that it's legal. But I don't know for sure. In HS, definitely a violation. In NCAA, I would have thought that it was also a violation. But with the way it's worded in the question, I'm not 100% sure.
I think it's legal also. The AR does say it's virtually impossible to fall down without moving the pivot foot, it does not mention standing up.
Old Tue Oct 25, 2005, 09:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
Quote:
I think it's legal also. The AR does say it's virtually impossible to fall down without moving the pivot foot, it does not mention standing up.
Well, except for the sentence that reads, "When a player rises to his or her feet while holding the ball, it is traveling." (second to last sentence).

Maybe the AR is wrong, or maybe I'm interpreting is incorrectly.

Old Tue Oct 25, 2005, 09:22am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by bob jenkins
Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
Quote:
Well, except for the sentence that reads, "When a player rises to his or her feet while holding the ball, it is traveling." (second to last sentence).

Maybe the AR is wrong, or maybe I'm interpreting is incorrectly.

Isn't it possible to be on 1 knee & have both feet on the floor?
Old Tue Oct 25, 2005, 09:26am
Official Forum Member

where is this test at, online???

Quote:
could you give me the address for this test if you have it on line?? thanks
Old Tue Oct 25, 2005, 09:54am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
I could, J, but you couldn't view it without a username and password. Sorry.
Old Tue Oct 25, 2005, 10:02am
Official Forum Member

no problem.....chuck..

i think this situation would be legal providing the pivot foot does not move, since it says in the a.r. that if the player falls to a knee and moves the pivot foot it's a violation.....so saying that i would say the opposite is true as well...rising off of a knee without moving the pivot foot should be deemed legal!!
Old Wed Oct 26, 2005, 01:25pm
Official Forum Member

It's a walk, 99% sure.
Old Wed Oct 26, 2005, 09:13pm
Official Forum Member

Not a walk NCAA

Per the A.R. if pivot foot does not move a player can go down to one knee. Thus I agree with jritchie that you could rise from one knee if pivot foot does not move.
Old Thu Oct 27, 2005, 12:19pm
Whack! Get Out!!!

This is *not* traveling.

100% sure, because I missed it on the test