The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   NCAA No...NFHS Yes? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/22839-ncaa-no-nfhs-yes.html)

Jeff the Ref Tue Oct 25, 2005 07:48am

Travelling Question: A1 gains possession of the ball with one knee on the floor. A1 lifts knee and stands up. Different answer in NCAA than NFHS?

bob jenkins Tue Oct 25, 2005 07:55am

Quote:

Originally posted by Jeff the Ref
Travelling Question: A1 gains possession of the ball with one knee on the floor. A1 lifts knee and stands up. Different answer in NCAA than NFHS?

I don't think so.

ChuckElias Tue Oct 25, 2005 08:53am

Taking the NCAA test, huh, Jeff? :) Me, too. In the test, it specifically says "without moving the pivot foot". I think that's supposed to be a clue that it's legal. But I don't know for sure. In HS, definitely a violation. In NCAA, I would have thought that it was also a violation. But with the way it's worded in the question, I'm not 100% sure.

Dan_ref Tue Oct 25, 2005 09:00am

Quote:

Originally posted by ChuckElias
Taking the NCAA test, huh, Jeff? :) Me, too. In the test, it specifically says "without moving the pivot foot". I think that's supposed to be a clue that it's legal. But I don't know for sure. In HS, definitely a violation. In NCAA, I would have thought that it was also a violation. But with the way it's worded in the question, I'm not 100% sure.
I think it's legal also. The AR does say it's virtually impossible to fall down without moving the pivot foot, it does not mention standing up.

bob jenkins Tue Oct 25, 2005 09:19am

Quote:

Originally posted by Dan_ref
Quote:

I think it's legal also. The AR does say it's virtually impossible to fall down without moving the pivot foot, it does not mention standing up.

Well, except for the sentence that reads, "When a player rises to his or her feet while holding the ball, it is traveling." (second to last sentence).

Maybe the AR is wrong, or maybe I'm interpreting is incorrectly.

Dan_ref Tue Oct 25, 2005 09:22am

Quote:

Originally posted by bob jenkins
Quote:

Originally posted by Dan_ref
Quote:

Well, except for the sentence that reads, "When a player rises to his or her feet while holding the ball, it is traveling." (second to last sentence).

Maybe the AR is wrong, or maybe I'm interpreting is incorrectly.

Isn't it possible to be on 1 knee & have both feet on the floor?

jritchie Tue Oct 25, 2005 09:26am

where is this test at, online???

Quote:

could you give me the address for this test if you have it on line?? thanks

ChuckElias Tue Oct 25, 2005 09:54am

I could, J, but you couldn't view it without a username and password. Sorry.

jritchie Tue Oct 25, 2005 10:02am

no problem.....chuck..

i think this situation would be legal providing the pivot foot does not move, since it says in the a.r. that if the player falls to a knee and moves the pivot foot it's a violation.....so saying that i would say the opposite is true as well...rising off of a knee without moving the pivot foot should be deemed legal!! :)

refTN Wed Oct 26, 2005 01:25pm

It's a walk, 99% sure.

Self Wed Oct 26, 2005 09:13pm

Not a walk NCAA

Per the A.R. if pivot foot does not move a player can go down to one knee. Thus I agree with jritchie that you could rise from one knee if pivot foot does not move.

Brad Thu Oct 27, 2005 12:19pm

This is *not* traveling.

100% sure, because I missed it on the test :)