The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Oct 25, 2005, 02:49pm
Official Forum Member

Had a player last year that had on the new contacts that had a design on them, they looked like a bullseye. Apperantly the kids can see fine through them but are they legal. If the player were to hit his head on the floor and become unconscious, there would be no way for an official, Dr., coach etc... to look at his pupils.

Would you or would you not let this player play?
Old Tue Oct 25, 2005, 03:02pm
Official Forum Member

Which rule would you cite to prevent him from playing?
Old Tue Oct 25, 2005, 03:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ThickSkin
Had a player last year that had on the new contacts that had a design on them, they looked like a bullseye. Apperantly the kids can see fine through them but are they legal. If the player were to hit his head on the floor and become unconscious, there would be no way for an official, Dr., coach etc... to look at his pupils.

My initial reponse would be to let him play. There is no rule banning these certain types of contacts, there is no unfair advantage gained by these contacts, and they pose no immediate danger to him or to other players during play. I think you start to tread on dangerous ground if you keep players from playing because something might happen. And even then, you don't know for sure they would pose any additional problem that a "regular" contact wouldn't.

(Used with permission.)
Old Tue Oct 25, 2005, 03:14pm
Official Forum Member

That makes sense. I likened the rule to that of the visor in football. All visors in football must be clear (unless the player has a dr. note) The reason for the clear visor is so that you can see the pupils of the player.
Old Tue Oct 25, 2005, 03:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
That makes sense. I likened the rule to that of the visor in football. All visors in football must be clear (unless the player has a dr. note) The reason for the clear visor is so that you can see the pupils of the player.
Why would you use a football rule in basketball? If it isn't a rule, it isn't a rule.
Old Tue Oct 25, 2005, 03:21pm
Official Forum Member

OK buddy,

Thanks for your input. It had been extremely helpful!
Old Tue Oct 25, 2005, 03:23pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to joseph2493
Quote:

When checking the pupils, which would consist of us lifting the eye lid if they were uncoscious...we would slide the contact off the eye at that time...

If they were conscious and we needed to check them...ask the player to remove the contact temporarily...if you are having to check their pupils they are going to the bench, they'll have time to put them back in before coming back...
Old Tue Oct 25, 2005, 03:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
OK buddy,

You're welcome! I was simply trying to convey to you that if you start making up rules, you're going to get yourself in trouble in more ways than one. So much for having thick skin...sheesh.
Old Tue Oct 25, 2005, 03:28pm
Official Forum Member

I agree that there's nothing in the rules to prevent wearing them now, but maybe this is somthing the states and NFHS need to be made aware of so we can get a definite ruling on it. I wouldn't think, judging by most of the other uniform regulations, that this would be something they would want to see on the basketball floor.
Old Tue Oct 25, 2005, 03:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Junker
I agree that there's nothing in the rules to prevent wearing them now, but maybe this is somthing the states and NFHS need to be made aware of so we can get a definite ruling on it. I wouldn't think, judging by most of the other uniform regulations, that this would be something they would want to see on the basketball floor.
You just never know!
Old Tue Oct 25, 2005, 03:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Junker
I agree, but until it is addressed formally in the rules, there's not much we can do about it.
Old Tue Oct 25, 2005, 03:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Smitty
Quote:
OK buddy,

You're welcome! I was simply trying to convey to you that if you start making up rules, you're going to get yourself in trouble in more ways than one. So much for having thick skin...sheesh.
The kid played, it was just something that we hadn't seen. We didn't say a word to him. I just wanted to see what everyone else thought. I wouldn't make up a rule just to make up a rule.
Old Tue Oct 25, 2005, 03:40pm
In Memoriam

Rule 3-5 allows the referee leeway to ban any equipment that he thinks might be confusing to other players or not appropriate to the game of basketball. Iow, it's strictly up to the R's judgement whether to allow or disallow something like trick contacts that aren't specifically covered under the rules.

Having said that, it's also a good idea for the R to check his judgement out with his association or state body after the game.
Old Tue Oct 25, 2005, 05:27pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
If the reason for your concern is that you think the lenses might prevent you from looking at his pupils, I think you're off base. You should never looking at someone's pupils in that way, period. That is strictly for a doctor or parent or principal to handle. Definitely not me!!!
Old Tue Oct 25, 2005, 06:44pm
Official Forum Member

If I believe a player is unconscious, he or she is unconscious, period. Now, if they get a doctor's note then they can play again. I'm going by a simple determination, is the player responsive, are his/her eyes open, etc. I'm not lifting eyelids no way no how. As Juulie said, that's for a doctor or administrator not me. If in my non-medical opinion a player is unconscious, that player is unconscious and I'm not letting them continue. Safety of the player is paramount and I'd rather be safe than sorry.