The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Oct 24, 2005, 08:29pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker

Okay, coach, let me understand what you're saying here. Your (7/8 grade) team just lost in straight sets, because they couldn't serve, pass, set, spike or even play their own positions. You yelled at them until you got frustrated and then you pouted on the bench for the rest of the match. When the offer was made to play 2nd string for an off-the-record third game, you grudgingly agreed and walked away, to berate your crying players some more.

And now you're upset with me because we missed a single point 15 minutes ago, and you think the opponent's server was out of order in this non-counting, no-score, no-book game?

Remind me why I should be civil to you? Why would I ever want to send my child to your Christian school? Sheez...
Old Mon Oct 24, 2005, 09:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker

Okay, coach, let me understand what you're saying here. Your (7/8 grade) team just lost in straight sets, because they couldn't serve, pass, set, spike or even play their own positions. You yelled at them until you got frustrated and then you pouted on the bench for the rest of the match. When the offer was made to play 2nd string for an off-the-record third game, you grudgingly agreed and walked away, to berate your crying players some more.

And now you're upset with me because we missed a single point 15 minutes ago, and you think the opponent's server was out of order in this non-counting, no-score, no-book game?

Remind me why I should be civil to you? Why would I ever want to send my child to your Christian school? Sheez...
Isn't there a volleyball forum?

Z
Old Mon Oct 24, 2005, 09:54pm
Statistician/Ref Hybrid

Actually, you see this kind of think in lower levels all the time, not just in volleyball.

Just last week in an 8th grade girls basketball game, the opposing team's coach was verbally expressing his perceived lack of calls.

His team won by 28 points.

Go figure...

And incidentally, our B team beat his by 4, and he made a comment after the game that "they were going to run for this". *rolls eyes*

At this level, you're happy when they remember which basket is theirs to shoot into

[Edited by Stat-Man on Oct 24th, 2005 at 10:56 PM]

The center of attention as the lead & trail. – me
Games officiated: 525 Basketball · 76 Softball · 16 Baseball
Old Mon Oct 24, 2005, 09:58pm
Do not give a damn!!

Considering all the off-topic crap we all have to read on this board, this post is a refreshing change.

Keep up the good work Juulie.

Peace
Old Mon Oct 24, 2005, 10:10pm
Do not give a damn!!

For the last couple of years I have worked the Chicago Middle School Catholic League Football League. There was this one team that had coaches that were saying all kinds of harsh things to their kids. Every play the coaches were yelling at their kids as if these were men. They never cursed, but you would have thought these kids were in the pros by the way the coaches talked to them. These coaches were telling the kids to "Get their head out of their behinds." It is just sad how these adults talk to these kids and all the other adults stand by and do nothing.

Then it was ironic I had this team this Sunday (once again ) and this team was visiting another team. The announcer was having fun and making comments that were encouraging the home team. The announcer never had a bad thing to say about the opponent or did anything I would have thought was unsportsmanlike. These windbag coaches complained that the announcer's actions were unsportsmanlike. While in my mind I was thinking what the coaches were much harsher than what any announcer said. They wonder why experienced officials stay away from this crap.

Peace
Old Mon Oct 24, 2005, 10:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Aha! Another multi-sport official! Juulie, Please go to the volleyball forum. I just made a comment on a previous thread about an hour ago. Methinks you may have comments of your own.
Jack
Old Mon Oct 24, 2005, 10:15pm
Official Forum Member

So, Juulie, were you an official or a spectator? I've seen what you describe in basketball and soccer many times -- much more than in VB, but it does happen there, too. And doesn't it make for such a good witness to non-believers!
Old Mon Oct 24, 2005, 10:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
Considering all the off-topic crap we all have to read on this board, this post is a refreshing change.
Shut up.

I agree there are some lousy attitudes out there. Unfortunately, it's not just at the lower levels. We just have to remember we're above it, and try to project the best attitude so it's obvious to others who the "jerk" really is. In the meantime, this place is always available for venting.

Oh, yea - chocolate really does help...

(Used with permission.)
Old Mon Oct 24, 2005, 10:17pm
Official Forum Member

Hey TravelinMan, this dinosaur just posted a reply to MC a few minutes ago, too!
Old Mon Oct 24, 2005, 10:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by refnrev
Hey TravelinMan, this dinosaur just posted a reply to MC a few minutes ago, too!
Read your post. Well said. Our points are irefutable. My feeling is if you can officiate Bball well, you can offciate ANY sport, especially VB as it requires many of the same skills.
Old Tue Oct 25, 2005, 08:11am
Official Forum Member

Talking

Officiating volleyball = larceny

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Tue Oct 25, 2005, 09:25am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge

Keep up the good work Juulie.

Peace
We HAVE to read all the posts???

Sorry, I do not see that in my contract...
Old Tue Oct 25, 2005, 09:55am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
We HAVE to read all the posts???

Sorry, I do not see that in my contract...
We HAVE to read the whole contract???
Old Tue Oct 25, 2005, 09:56am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Officiating volleyball = larceny
That's why I'm seriously considering taking it up. I'm tired of going to my ATM for quick cash.

I've been saying for a couple years that I'm going to look into it. I think I'll sign up for this spring.
Old Tue Oct 25, 2005, 12:00pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:

Why would I ever want to send my child to your Christian school? Sheez...
So, Juulie, if this was a public school you would be OK with the way this coach acted, but no way would you send your kids to a Christian school whose coach acts like this?? Gotta say that sounds like a bit of a double standard...