The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Oct 26, 2005, 08:15am
Official & Member

Since when is it a basketball officials responsibility to render a medical opinion on fitness of a player? I want NO PART of that determination. If there's a question of unconsciousness, get the proper medical attention through game management and let them render an opinion. Talk about opening a can of worms...can you imagine what kind of questions that would spawn on the Federation exam?
Old Wed Oct 26, 2005, 11:16am
Official Forum Member

Exclamation

I'm just saying, for example, if A1 goes up for a shot/rebound/loose ball whatever, and gets hit in the head, falls to the floor, or falls to the floor and hits his head, and appears to me to be unconscious (eyes closed, not moving, non-responsive), that player is not coming back into my game without a note from a doctor saying he can. Rule 2, Section 8, Art. 5 Officials' Additional Duties, The officials SHALL "determine when a player is apparently unconscious. The player may not return to play in the game without written authorization from a physician (MD/DO)". That gives an official the ability to make that call.
Old Wed Oct 26, 2005, 11:22am
Official & Member

"gets hit in the head, falls to the floor, or falls to the floor and hits his head, and appears to me to be unconscious (eyes closed, not moving, non-responsive), that player is not coming back into my game"

Exactly. No need to see his eyes/contacts here. Any one of the three conditions you stated (eyes closed, not moving, non-responsive)after a whack on the noggin buys him a bench pass the remainder of the game if I'm the R.
Old Wed Oct 26, 2005, 11:44am
In Memoriam

I agree.

Of course, all this has still got nuthin' to do with the original question asked in this thread--i.e. whether the contacts described are illegal or not in the first place.
Old Wed Oct 26, 2005, 12:10pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
I agree.

Of course, all this has still got nuthin' to do with the original question asked in this thread--i.e. whether the contacts described are illegal or not in the first place.
Except that, when asked, the original post-er said that he thought they might be since it would make it difficult to determine whether or not someone was unconscious.
Old Wed Oct 26, 2005, 12:22pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

I guess the only thing that comes close to addressing the contacts is Rule 3-5 which deals with Team Members Equipment/Apparel. Although none of the articles address the contacts directly, the first statement, "The referee shall not any team member to wear any equipment or apparel which, in his/her JUDGMENT, is dangerous or CONFUSING to other players or is not appropriate." I guess if someone from the opposing team were to question/complain about the contacts, it would be within the official's right to determine if they fit the definition of confusing items and make the player change them if he/she wanted to play. This is the closest I can come to finding a rule addressing it. I know there are some weird colored contacts out there so it could lead us down a slippery slope if we start inspecting eyes for "confusing contacts". I must admit we have an official in our board who, for every girls game she officiates, makes all the players line up before the game and inspects their fingernails and ponytails "in accordance with Rule 3-7". Drives her partners crazy but she'll never change as long as that rule is there.
Old Wed Oct 26, 2005, 12:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by walter
I must admit we have an official in our board who, for every girls game she officiates, makes all the players line up before the game and inspects their fingernails and ponytails "in accordance with Rule 3-7". Drives her partners crazy but she'll never change as long as that rule is there.
I always check for nails, although I don't do the line-up thing like a cleat check in soccer. Long nails are extremely dangerous, and i can't imagine a coach letting the girls play with them uncut. I've disallowed players a couple of times because of nails.
Old Wed Oct 26, 2005, 12:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I agree.

If these become somewhat common, I suspect the NFHS will rule, much as it did during the "flashing light shoe" fad several years ago.

Old Wed Oct 26, 2005, 03:05pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by walter
I guess the only thing that comes close to addressing the contacts is Rule 3-5 which deals with Team Members Equipment/Apparel. Although none of the articles address the contacts directly, the first statement, "The referee shall not any team member to wear any equipment or apparel which, in his/her JUDGMENT, is dangerous or CONFUSING to other players or is not appropriate."

Would you let players wear sunglasses while playing?

The point I was making was that if the R sez get 'em out, the player has to remove 'em. Strictly the R's judgement. Of course, the R in that player's next game might OK 'em too.
Old Wed Oct 26, 2005, 03:13pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by bob jenkins
Quote:
I agree.

If these become somewhat common, I suspect the NFHS will rule, much as it did during the "flashing light shoe" fad several years ago.

Or American flags.......or compression shorts, do-rags, commemorative players' #s, undershirts, elastics on wrists, wristbands worn on biceps....or whatever else comes up that the FED wants to specify or identify.
Old Wed Oct 26, 2005, 03:37pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Quote:
I agree.

What's the flashing shoe rule?
Thanks.
mick
Old Wed Oct 26, 2005, 03:53pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by mick
Quote:
Quote:
I agree.

Thanks.
mick
The FED even threw a case book play in on that one, Mick---3.5SitC(a).

Thou shall not wear shoes that have lights shining off and on.
Old Wed Oct 26, 2005, 04:45pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by mick
Quote:
Quote:
I agree.

Thanks.
mick
The FED even threw a case book play in on that one, Mick---3.5SitC(a).

Thou shall not wear shoes that have lights shining off and on.
Cool.
Thanks, JR.
mick
Old Wed Oct 26, 2005, 06:09pm
Official Forum Member

Cool

I was at the eye doctors getting my contacts. While I was waiting they had an article about a new type of contact lens that baseball players were trying out. It was called red eye, it is suppose to help you in the movement of the ball coming in to the strike zone. I suppose you can use it also for basketball. The article went further to say that the lens will help you with any fast movements when trying to detect them. Maybe I should get a pair for all the calls I have missed so far this season. HA HA
Old Wed Oct 26, 2005, 11:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave Dow
I was at the eye doctors getting my contacts. While I was waiting they had an article about a new type of contact lens that baseball players were trying out. It was called red eye, it is suppose to help you in the movement of the ball coming in to the strike zone. I suppose you can use it also for basketball. The article went further to say that the lens will help you with any fast movements when trying to detect them. Maybe I should get a pair for all the calls I have missed so far this season. HA HA
Cool idea!! Glad to see you back on the board, Dave.