The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jun 23, 2010, 06:24am
Official Forum Member

Correctable Error

In a varsity boys game team A gets fouled and should be in the bonus. The officials do not realize this and the table is no help. Team A coach is trying to get the attention of the officials and table to let them know he should be in the bonus. He finally calls a time out and points out the fact that he should be in the bonus. The officials let him shoot the bonus. Does he get his time out back??
Old Wed Jun 23, 2010, 06:45am
Esteemed Forum Member

5-8-4 And 5-11-3 ...

Time-out occurs and the clock, if running, shall be stopped when an official: Responds to the scorer’s signal to grant a coach’s request that a correctable error, as in 2-10, or a timing, scoring or alternating-possession mistake be prevented or rectified. The appeal to the official shall be presented at the scorer’s table where a coach of each team may be present.

Only one 60-second time-out is charged (or one 30-second timeout, if that is the only type of time-out remaining) in 5-8-4 regardless of the amount of time consumed when no correction is made. EXCEPTION: No time-out is charged: b. If, in 5-8-4, the error or mistake is prevented or rectified.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Wed Jun 23, 2010, 06:46am
Official Forum Member

According to 5-8-4, the coach need not request a time-out to fix a correctable error. He should report the error to the table, which should call the officials over to discuss the error.

If he does request a time-out and the error is rectified or prevented, it is not charged per 5-11-3 EXCEPTION.
Old Wed Jun 23, 2010, 11:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
According to 5-8-4, the coach need not request a time-out to fix a correctable error. He should report the error to the table, which should call the officials over to discuss the error.
That's not true. Please note that 5-8-4 is under the section for time-outs.

Those words are written in the context that the head coach goes to the scorer's table and requests a time-out to discuss a possible correctable error as is noted in 10-5-1c.
Old Wed Jun 23, 2010, 12:11pm
Official Forum Member

No timeout charged. If the coach's appeal regarding the correctable error was unfounded, the timeout would be charged.

I am assuming the timeout was the first deadball after the clock was properly started...
Old Wed Jun 23, 2010, 02:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tio View Post
No timeout charged. If the coach's appeal regarding the correctable error was unfounded, the timeout would be charged.

I am assuming the timeout was the first deadball after the clock was properly started...
ok, here's one...i heard at a camp one time a speaker say that he pregames with the table to not blow the horn during a live ball...

what if the table knows of the coaches request to fix an error, and was told by the R to not blow the horn during a live ball, and several baskets are made, THEN a dead ball, "allowing" the table to blow the horn (again, according to this particular speaker). Is it then NOT correctable b/c it wasn't before the 2nd live ball?...with the only reason for it NOT being within the normal C.E. time constraints is b/c the ref told the table in pregame to wait til a dead ball?
Old Wed Jun 23, 2010, 02:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbzebra View Post
ok, here's one...i heard at a camp one time a speaker say that he pregames with the table to not blow the horn during a live ball...

what if the table knows of the coaches request to fix an error, and was told by the R to not blow the horn during a live ball, and several baskets are made, THEN a dead ball, "allowing" the table to blow the horn (again, according to this particular speaker). Is it then NOT correctable b/c it wasn't before the 2nd live ball?...with the only reason for it NOT being within the normal C.E. time constraints is b/c the ref told the table in pregame to wait til a dead ball?
Huh? Why wouldn't the table blow the horn at the first dead ball (afte the first basket)? The error is still correctable at that point.
Old Wed Jun 23, 2010, 02:52pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbzebra View Post

Each basket constitutes a dead ball, thus allowing for the table to blow the horn even under the R's instructions.
Old Wed Jun 23, 2010, 10:03pm
Official Forum Member

As Bob and Snaqs note the ball becomes dead following each made goal and the scorer could sound the horn then, but it would be best if the scorer/timer ignored the request of the R and simply followed the rules.
Old Sat Jun 26, 2010, 06:19am
Official Forum Member

I am thinking that if the error is Correctable, then there's no immediate issue -- I can treat this as a warning and be prepared to pull the stick/pair if an uncorrectable error starts occurring?
Old Sat Jun 26, 2010, 11:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevaeh.aaric View Post
I am thinking that if the error is Correctable, then there's no immediate issue -- I can treat this as a warning and be prepared to pull the stick/pair if an uncorrectable error starts occurring?
Welcome to the board...but I have no idea what you're talking about with warning or "stick/pair"??????
Old Sat Jun 26, 2010, 12:24pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Welcome to the board...but I have no idea what you're talking about with warning or "stick/pair"??????
He made 5 other posts but added links advertising his web sites. Web sites that had nothing to do with officiating. Just another spammer pulling the same old tricks. Looks like a mod has already deleted those links, which means this spammer probably won't be back.

Your link is reasonable, helpful and related. His wasn't.

Last edited by Jurassic Referee; Sat Jun 26, 2010 at 12:29pm.