The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Oct 20, 2005, 10:23am
Official Forum Member

Don't agree with what commissioner asks us to do!!!

Coaches box: he started out by saying that we need to start enforceing it better.....so he gives us an example:
Coach A is coaching his team in the first half and wanders down across the center line about 4 ft. from the other coach's box, but "ONLY COACHING HIS TEAM" not saying anything to the refs... Our commish actually said we should stop play, actually go over and let the coach know that he is out of his box and that he needs to do a better job of staying in it, I GUESS A VERBAL WARNING.. then if he doesn't listen to well, you can now T him up for it!!! We have rules in effect for this, but our state commish is actually telling us to go against the rules and give a warning.....and they wonder why it's not actually being enforced... They don't want us to give the T, so why would anyone enforce the rule, they are killing me!!!! He said he has brought this up at there Board rules meeting and i guess they are supposed to vote on it, to see if they can actually get it in the rule book this way, give coach warning first as long as he is coaching and out of the box....2nd time would be T...he did tell us whether they are in or out of box and acting unappropriately T them immediately.... Do you think this would be a good idea??
Old Thu Oct 20, 2005, 10:29am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
What state are you in because that was discussed at our State Clinic on Tuesday night. They assured us if coaches get tossed due to the coaching box, they would back us up 100%. But on the other hand I can see that if a coach is constantly out of his box, it could be an advantage to his team if the other coach is complying.
Old Thu Oct 20, 2005, 10:34am
Do not give a damn!!

We were asked to do a similar thing. Our warning is supposed to be put in the book as an official warning. Here is the link to an earlier conversation.

IHSA Rules Meeting

Peace
Old Thu Oct 20, 2005, 08:51pm
Official Forum Member

The coaches box is getting a serious look. From what I have heard the box may be on its last leg. Coaches say all they are doing is coaching and a lot of us say well if they arent saying anything to us.

They wont set up their benches right so they are too close to the scorers table, inciting crowds, wandering to the baseline, and well assistant coaches are another thing.etc...

Here in Utah if things dont get better this season the box will be out is my guess. I think that is the sentiment in a lot of areas
Old Fri Oct 21, 2005, 08:12am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Kelvin green
The coaches box is getting a serious look. From what I have heard the box may be on its last leg. Coaches say all they are doing is coaching and a lot of us say well if they arent saying anything to us.

They wont set up their benches right so they are too close to the scorers table, inciting crowds, wandering to the baseline, and well assistant coaches are another thing.etc...

Here in Utah if things dont get better this season the box will be out is my guess. I think that is the sentiment in a lot of areas
Same thing in VA. I guess there will be alot of "T's" handed out this year.
Old Fri Oct 21, 2005, 08:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by IREFU2
What state are you in because that was discussed at our State Clinic on Tuesday night. They assured us if coaches get tossed due to the coaching box, they would back us up 100%. But on the other hand I can see that if a coach is constantly out of his box, it could be an advantage to his team if the other coach is complying.
i'm from kentucky. Yeah they just want us to give a warning, then if we have to toss them for it, there goes the rating for the year.....i know you shouldn't be worried about a rating and call what you should, but when the coaches have 80% of the vote whether you get to go to the state tourney it's kinda hard to enforce if you want to stay in the good graces of the coaches!!! i think it's ridiculous we have to worry about that, coaches should have a little input on ratings, but 80% is ridiculous!!!
Old Fri Oct 21, 2005, 08:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jritchie
Quote:
Originally posted by IREFU2
i'm from kentucky. Yeah they just want us to give a warning, then if we have to toss them for it, there goes the rating for the year.....i know you shouldn't be worried about a rating and call what you should, but when the coaches have 80% of the vote whether you get to go to the state tourney it's kinda hard to enforce if you want to stay in the good graces of the coaches!!! i think it's ridiculous we have to worry about that, coaches should have a little input on ratings, but 80% is ridiculous!!!
You are right, your rating will been terrible. But its what the federation is pushing and all we can do is make sure that they know this. On the other hand, once you warn them and then wack em, they will be sitting and have no box. So the battle is half won.
Old Fri Oct 21, 2005, 09:43pm
Official Forum Member

Coaches here have no say in the postseason selections or the rating of officials. So they are going to be expected to toe the line when it comes to the coaching box.

Old Fri Oct 21, 2005, 09:47pm
Official Forum Member

Hey nevada, can you email me please.

My profile should allow emails.

[Edited by cdaref on Oct 22nd, 2005 at 02:00 AM]
Old Fri Oct 21, 2005, 10:45pm
Official Forum Member

Done.