The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Oct 11, 2005, 09:09pm
Official Forum Member

Has anyone ever heard of an association discouraging the use of patent leather? I attended a meeting and one of the assigners bascially told everyone they are not to be worn. I always thought patent leather presents a more professional image.
Old Tue Oct 11, 2005, 09:16pm
Official Forum Member

What state is this sanction in? Don't refs in this state "polish" their shoes?

The patent leather just makes it easier overall....just make sure the entire crew wears them!
Old Tue Oct 11, 2005, 09:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 7yrref
Has anyone ever heard of an association discouraging the use of patent leather? I attended a meeting and one of the assigners bascially told everyone they are not to be worn. I always thought patent leather presents a more professional image.
I have never heard of that. Sounds like your assignor has too much time on his hands. Did anyone ask him what the logic was (or lack thereof) behind his statement? Is he going to outlaw beltless pants too?

Z
Old Tue Oct 11, 2005, 09:30pm
Official Forum Member

No pants with belts are allowed. This guys attitude is whatever I say goes!
Old Tue Oct 11, 2005, 09:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
No pants with belts are allowed. This guys attitude is whatever I say goes!
Does your local association have a board of directors who this particular assignor reports too? If not, who is his "boss?"

Z
Old Wed Oct 12, 2005, 09:04am
M.A.S.H.

This guy must be really bored.
Old Wed Oct 12, 2005, 10:24am
Official Forum Member

just tell him they are well polished!!! if i bought them i would for sure wear them! i love mine.
Old Wed Oct 12, 2005, 04:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by zebraman
Quote:
I have never heard of that. Sounds like your assignor has too much time on his hands. Did anyone ask him what the logic was (or lack thereof) behind his statement? Is he going to outlaw beltless pants too?

Z
I'd guess his logic is to have all the officials look the same. Those that go patent leather do so for several reasons. Some just want to stand out. I think patent leather could be fine if all officials in an association have them but the avaialbility of brands/styles is too low to get a good fit for everyone. Non-patent leather shoes come in a lot more varieties.
Old Wed Oct 12, 2005, 05:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Camron Rust

I'd guess his logic is to have all the officials look the same. Those that go patent leather do so for several reasons. Some just want to stand out. I think patent leather could be fine if all officials in an association have them but the avaialbility of brands/styles is too low to get a good fit for everyone. Non-patent leather shoes come in a lot more varieties.
Officials will never look exactly the same. Some are taller, some are shorter, some are skinny, some are bigger. So long as they all wear a regulation uniform and everything is clean and professional, who freakin' cares? (well, other than this assignor with too much time on his hands) I have both patent leather and non-patent shoes. I don't call my partners to make sure we all have the same shiny-ness to our shoes or that we are all wearing beltless pants or whatever. Just plain silly.

Z
Old Wed Oct 12, 2005, 08:43pm
Official Forum Member

I love my patent leather shoes. I could never get the other kind shiny enough. Yeah, the crew's shoes might not be of identical shininess, but that's true even without patent leather.

Plus, if I kick a call, people might be blinded by the reflection off the leather. That helps.
Old Thu Oct 13, 2005, 02:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by zebraman
Quote:
Originally posted by Camron Rust

Officials will never look exactly the same. Some are taller, some are shorter, some are skinny, some are bigger. So long as they all wear a regulation uniform and everything is clean and professional, who freakin' cares? (well, other than this assignor with too much time on his hands) I have both patent leather and non-patent shoes. I don't call my partners to make sure we all have the same shiny-ness to our shoes or that we are all wearing beltless pants or whatever. Just plain silly.

Z
Agree. If they shoes are so different as to stand out its not really a "uniform". I don't think it a big deal, just offering a possiblity for what that assignor might be thinking.
Old Thu Oct 13, 2005, 08:04am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
I love my PL shoes and the crowd has commented several times on how they looked. It make the official look overal good.
Old Thu Oct 13, 2005, 08:23am
In Memoriam

I'm an assignor. My main concern is whether an official can do the job out there. Yup, I want the officials to be neat, clean, uniformly dressed and presentable, but I really don't care if they wear clown shoes as long as those shoes are clean and some shade of black.

To be quite honest, I've never thought that having a little white somewhere on the shoe made any kind of a difference either. Big whoop!

I think that this is a case of an assignor putting in some stoopid rule just because he can. Having said that, even though what he's doing is laughable, you'd better think about following his directive if you want to get games from him-- as long as he has the power.

Old Thu Oct 13, 2005, 06:01pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Reminds me of the Dilbert strip where the boss is standing behind him telling him which buttons to push. Dilbert pushes one in error and the boss exclaims "No! You fool!". Everyone else can see that the boss is a real moron, but he is still the boss.
Old Fri Oct 14, 2005, 09:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I really don't care if they wear clown shoes as long as those shoes are clean and some shade of black.
Found Em! Although are white shoe strings acceptable JR?