The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Oct 22, 2005, 04:25am
Official Forum Member

[/B][/QUOTE]I stand corrected.

IAABO interpretations are never valid. [/B][/QUOTE]

JR,

In a battle of wits, this is a mismatch. Unfair advantage.

Mulk
Old Sat Oct 22, 2005, 04:38am
Official Forum Member

In my opinion, JR's description is more accurate.

Despite what MTD says, IAABO as an organization did make certain interpretations that were different or later conflicted with NFHS issued interpretations.

The recent 3 FTs for one technical foul for the player coming off the bench and blocking 3pt try is an example. This year the NFHS said it is two Ts which results in 4 FTs.

I've working in states both with IAABO and without. I've good experiences with both. Both organizations try hard to improve and teach officials.
It is just that anything IAABO decides doesn't apply to where I am currently.

Furthermore, there are certain rule modifications or interpretations that are specific to states/areas. Again MTD disagrees here, but unfortunately, there are places that just don't use the NFHS rules and interps in their entirety.

For an example, MA plays halves instead of quarters. Then there are the states which use a shot clock.

Old Sat Oct 22, 2005, 04:54am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Nevadaref
Furthermore, there are certain rule modifications or interpretations that are specific to states/areas.
My point was that certain states have appointed IAABO to interpret NFHS rules for all of the officials in that state. Ronny Mulkey is from Georgia, for instance. It was my understanding that the Georgia state high school association did appoint IAABO a few years ago to interpret and test the different official associations in the state for them. As a result, any interpretations of the NFHS rules put out by IAABO in Georgia while they were doing that were valid for all of Georgia.

Am I wrong in saying that, Ron?

Of course, I'm still willing to go with the "IAABO interpretations are NEVER valid" statement if it will keep MTD happy.
Old Sat Oct 22, 2005, 08:17am
Official Forum Member

JR,

Officially, it was supposed to be training and testing, but we always struggled down here trying to understand exactly what it was they were doing except taking our money. A lot of that might have been our own fault for not taking advantage of all they offered, but the fact remained that the officials decided that they were not doing very much for the money we were paying. To be honest with you, I can't remember if we looked to them for interpretations or not. I do recall that there was a lot of "let's ask Peter Webb", though.

Nice people, nice war stories, but....

Mulk