The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Oct 13, 2005, 01:09pm
Official Forum Member

Some important ones here frequently brought up! Especially the one where B leaves the bench at end of game to block shot! They hit the nail on the head with these situations. I hope they are in the case book too!

SITUATION 1: A1 is fouled by B1 late in the second quarter. It is a common foul and the seventh Team B foul. The bonus situation is not recognized by the scorer or the officiating crew, and the Team A coach substitutes A6 for A1. A6 is beckoned onto the floor and A1 goes to the team bench. The scorer recognizes the error and sounds the horn (a) just before or (b) just after the administering official hands the ball to A2 for a throw-in. RULING: This is a correctable-error situation and falls within the proper timeframe for a correction. In both (a) and (b), A6 leaves the game with A1 re-entering to shoot the bonus free throw. Play is resumed as after any free-throw attempt(s). If the second free throw is successful and the coach desires, A6 may re-enter the contest. (2-10-1a; 2-10-6)

SITUATION 2: A1 is fouled by B1, which is Team B’s 10th team foul. A1 is erroneously given a one-and-one bonus. The first free throw is missed and A2 secures the rebound. Team A consumes several seconds passing among teammates and then A2 is fouled by B3. The scorer informs the official that B3 has just committed his/her fifth foul and of the error that A1 should have shot a second free throw on the previous play. RULING: B3 is disqualified and must be replaced before any subsequent action. A1 is then entitled to the second free throw that was not properly awarded without players lined up on the free-throw lane. After A1’s free throw, A2 is awarded two free throws (double bonus) with players lined up appropriately along the lane. Play then resumes as after any free-throw attempt(s). (2-10-1a; 2-10-6)

SITUATION 3: Team A is leading 62-60 when the horn sounds to end the game. A1 then removes his/her jersey near the team bench (a) before the officials leave the visual confines of the playing area; or (b) after the officials leave the visual confines of the playing area. RULING: In (a), A1 is assessed a technical foul. Team B is awarded two free throws; if both are successful, overtime will be played. In (b), since the officials’ jurisdiction has ended, no penalty is assessed. (3-4-15; 2-2-4; 10-4-1h)

SITUATION 4: During the pregame warm-up, the 12 members of Team A are wearing warm-up tops, but not their team jerseys. Approximately one minute prior to the opening jump ball, the 12 Team A members go to the team bench, remove the warm-up tops and put on the team jerseys. RULING: One technical foul is charged to Team A, and it is also charged indirectly to the head coach. COMMENT: In a situation where similar multiple infractions occur at the same time, it is not the intent of the rules to penalize each individual infraction as a separate technical foul. (3-4-15; 10-4-1h)

SITUATION 5: A1 is directed to leave the game with a blood-saturated jersey. While at the team bench area, he/she removes the jersey and changes into a clean, spare jersey. RULING: A1 is assessed a technical foul. Team B is awarded two free throws and the ball for a division line throw-in. COMMENT: The uniform rule is intended to be applied in all situations. It is not unreasonable to expect team members to leave the playing area to change uniforms. (3-4-15; 10-4-1h)

SITUATION 6: A1’s try is in flight when A2 is called for setting an illegal screen on B2. Team B is in the bonus and A1’s try is (a) successful or (b) unsuccessful. RULING: In (a) and (b), a common foul has occurred since there is no team control during a try in flight. B2 is awarded a bonus free-throw situation. In (a), score the basket for A1 since the ball does not become dead until the try ends. (4-12-6; 4-19-7; 6-7-7 Exception a)

SITUATION 7: Only a few seconds remain in the second quarter. Team A is advancing the ball from backcourt to frontcourt. A1 is driving toward his/her basket and is about to dunk the ball when the horn sounds to end the first half. Shortly after the horn sounds, A1 dunks the ball and hangs on to the rim. RULING: A1 is assessed a technical foul for dunking a dead ball. The foul is also charged indirectly to the head coach. The third quarter begins with Team B being awarded two free throws and the ball at the division line. The alternating-possession arrow is not affected and remains unchanged. (5-6-4; 10-3-4)

SITUATION 8: A1 has control of the ball in Team A’s frontcourt. Post players A5 and B5 are pushing each other in an attempt to gain a more advantageous position on the block while (a) A1 is dribbling the ball; (b) the ball is in the air on a pass from A1 to A2; or (c) the ball is in the air on an unsuccessful try for goal by A1. An official calls a double personal foul on A5 and B5. RULING: In (a) and (b), Team A had control of the ball when the double foul occurred, and thus play will be resumed at the point of interruption. Team A will have a designated spot throw-in nearest the location where the ball was located when the double foul occurred. In (c), no team has control while a try for goal is in flight, and since the try was unsuccessful, there is no obvious point of interruption. Play will be resumed with an alternating possession throw-in nearest the location where the ball was located when the double foul occurred. Had the try been successful, the point of interruption would have been a throw-in for Team B from anywhere along the end line. (4-36; 6-4-3g; 7-5-9)

SITUATION 9: A1 recovers a loose ball on the playing court near the sideline, with his/her body entirely in bounds. However, A1’s head is hovering out of bounds and his/her hair (which is in a long ponytail) is touching the floor, out of bounds. RULING: A1 is called for the out-of-bounds violation. (7-1-1; 7-1-2; 9-3-1)

SITUATION 10: A1 and A2 set a double screen near the end line. B3 intentionally goes out of bounds outside the end line to avoid being detained by A1 and A2. Just as B3 goes out of bounds, A3’s try is in flight. RULING: B3 is called for a leaving-the-floor violation. Team A will receive the ball out of bounds at a spot nearest to where the violation occurred. Since the violation is on the defense, the ball does not become dead until the try has ended. If the try is successful, it will count. (9-3-2; 6-7-9 Exception d)

SITUATION 11: The score is tied 60-60 with four seconds remaining in the game. A1 has a fast break and is near the free-throw line on his/her way to an uncontested lay-up. B5, running down the court near the sideline, intentionally runs out of bounds in the hopes of getting a leaving-the-floor violation called. RULING: B5’s intentional violation should be ignored and A1’s activity should continue without interruption. COMMENT: Non-contact, away from the ball, illegal defensive violations (i.e. excessively swinging the elbows, leaving the floor for an unauthorized reason) specifically designed to stop the clock near the end of a period or take away a clear advantageous position by the offense should be temporarily ignored. The defensive team should not benefit from the tactic. If time is not a factor, the defense should be penalized with the violation or a technical foul for unsporting behavior. (9-3-2; 10-1-8)

SITUATION 12: Team B has just scored to go up by three points with time running out in the fourth quarter. Player A1 inbounds the ball to A2 close to the sideline of Team B’s bench. A2 releases a three-point try just prior to the horn sounding. Substitute B7 leaves the bench area, enters the court and blocks the shot. RULING: B7 shall be charged with two technical fouls and ejected. One technical foul is assessed for entering the court without permission and one for unsporting conduct. Any member of Team A may shoot the four free throws for the technical fouls. The results of these free throws will determine if the game is over or going into overtime. COMMENT: Two technical fouls must be assessed in this situation. Otherwise, the team committing the infraction would benefit from the act. (10-4-1; 10-4-2)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Author: Unknown
Release Date: 10/11/2005
Old Thu Oct 13, 2005, 02:21pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by JosephG678
SITUATION 7: Only a few seconds remain in the second quarter. Team A is advancing the ball from backcourt to frontcourt. A1 is driving toward his/her basket and is about to dunk the ball when the horn sounds to end the first half. Shortly after the horn sounds, A1 dunks the ball and hangs on to the rim. RULING: A1 is assessed a technical foul for dunking a dead ball. The foul is also charged indirectly to the head coach.

Why isn't this 2 T's? One for dunking a dead ball and one for hanging on the rim? I'd like to just ignore it if it was fairly close to the buzzer. But if you're going to pull out the T, how can you ignore the hanging? It would certainly be a T during play. I would rather rule that the dunk was ok b/c it was just a continuation of the play already in progress and that the T was for the hanging on the rim.

Quote:
SITUATION 12: Team B has just scored to go up by three points with time running out in the fourth quarter. Player A1 inbounds the ball to A2 close to the sideline of Team B’s bench. A2 releases a three-point try just prior to the horn sounding. Substitute B7 leaves the bench area, enters the court and blocks the shot. RULING: B7 shall be charged with two technical fouls and ejected.
It's about time we got that one out of the way.
Old Thu Oct 13, 2005, 02:45pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:
SITUATION 7: Only a few seconds remain in the second quarter. Team A is advancing the ball from backcourt to frontcourt. A1 is driving toward his/her basket and is about to dunk the ball when the horn sounds to end the first half. Shortly after the horn sounds, A1 dunks the ball and hangs on to the rim. RULING: A1 is assessed a technical foul for dunking a dead ball. The foul is also charged indirectly to the head coach.

Why isn't this 2 T's? One for dunking a dead ball and one for hanging on the rim? I'd like to just ignore it if it was fairly close to the buzzer. But if you're going to pull out the T, how can you ignore the hanging? It would certainly be a T during play. I would rather rule that the dunk was ok b/c it was just a continuation of the play already in progress and that the T was for the hanging on the rim.

Well, there's only one official that I know that would call 2 T's on this play.... C'mon down, MTD Sr. Geeze,if A1 hadda jumped off A2's back, we coulda had 4 T's.

Fwiw, I agree completely with you. Ignore the dunk and penalize the hanging on the rim.

Just thinking again about this one. Technically, it happened during the intermission, didn't it? Huh, didn't it? Does that mean you give the A head coach 2 indirect T's under R10-3-4PENALTY?

[Edited by Jurassic Referee on Oct 13th, 2005 at 03:53 PM]
Old Thu Oct 13, 2005, 04:07pm
Official Forum Member

If, and it's a BIG IF, I assess a "T" in this situation, it's for the hanging on the rim. He would have to be really swinging on it though. I would probably go to the player and tell him to play the whistle/horn and stop all the action and tell him what could've happened to him and his team (i.e. the "T"s). After the horn, it's gotta be severe for me to do anything (fighting, cursing, etc.) other than talking with the player or the coach or both either right when it happens or when they come back out prior to the start of the third quarter.
Old Thu Oct 13, 2005, 04:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
SITUATION 12: Team B has just scored to go up by three points with time running out in the fourth quarter. Player A1 inbounds the ball to A2 close to the sideline of Team B’s bench. A2 releases a three-point try just prior to the horn sounding. Substitute B7 leaves the bench area, enters the court and blocks the shot. RULING: B7 shall be charged with two technical fouls and ejected.
And since B7 came off the bench, wouldn't this be 2 indirects on the head coach as well? Or would only the unsporting act for this be and indirect on the HC?
Old Thu Oct 13, 2005, 04:29pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Whistles & Stripes
Quote:
Quote:
And since B7 came off the bench, wouldn't this be 2 indirects on the head coach as well? Or would only the unsporting act for this be and indirect on the HC?
Yup, the ruling cited 10-4-1 and 10-4-2 as the relevant rules references . Both of those call for indirect T's to the head coach as part of their respective penalties.
Old Thu Oct 13, 2005, 07:09pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
SITUATION 9: A1 recovers a loose ball on the playing court near the sideline, with his/her body entirely in bounds. However, A1’s head is hovering out of bounds and his/her hair (which is in a long ponytail) is touching the floor, out of bounds. RULING: A1 is called for the out-of-bounds violation. (7-1-1; 7-1-2; 9-3-1)
Whew. I'm glad to get this straightened out! I've been laying awake nights worrying about it!

Quote:
SITUATION 11: The score is tied 60-60 with four seconds remaining in the game. A1 has a fast break and is near the free-throw line on his/her way to an uncontested lay-up. B5, running down the court near the sideline, intentionally runs out of bounds in the hopes of getting a leaving-the-floor violation called. RULING: B5’s intentional violation should be ignored and A1’s activity should continue without interruption. COMMENT: Non-contact, away from the ball, illegal defensive violations (i.e. excessively swinging the elbows, leaving the floor for an unauthorized reason) specifically designed to stop the clock near the end of a period or take away a clear advantageous position by the offense should be temporarily ignored. The defensive team should not benefit from the tactic. If time is not a factor, the defense should be penalized with the violation or a technical foul for unsporting behavior. (9-3-2; 10-1-8)
This IS a significant ruling. I'm glad they published it, and glad they came down this way.

[Edited by rainmaker on Oct 13th, 2005 at 08:11 PM]
Old Fri Oct 14, 2005, 07:46am
Official Forum Member

I am glad they finally clarified those defensive violations.
Old Fri Oct 14, 2005, 08:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
This IS a significant ruling. I'm glad they published it, and glad they came down this way.

[Edited by rainmaker on Oct 13th, 2005 at 08:11 PM] [/B][/QUOTE]

By stating "temporarily ignored" are they saying the violation should be called after the advantageous position of the offense no longer exists? i.e. After a made layup? After a turnover or violation?
Old Fri Oct 14, 2005, 08:19am
Official Forum Member

Advantage?

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:
Whew. I'm glad to get this straightened out! I've been laying awake nights worrying about it!

Quote:

[Edited by rainmaker on Oct 13th, 2005 at 08:11 PM]
I think its also a good point about advantage/disadvantage.

In basketball more than any other sport that is so important.

Guy steals the ball gets a touch foul as he heads for an easy layup and young official blows the play dead ... coach has the right to complain, let em play etc., as he wants the two points.

And this clarifies about action away from the ball, although I'd be hard pressed to find an official who would call one of these unusual calls.

thanks
David
Old Fri Oct 14, 2005, 09:52am
Official Forum Member

SITUATION 3: Team A is leading 62-60 when the horn sounds to end the game. A1 then removes his/her jersey near the team bench (a) before the officials leave the visual confines of the playing area; or (b) after the officials leave the visual confines of the playing area. RULING: In (a), A1 is assessed a technical foul. Team B is awarded two free throws; if both are successful, overtime will be played. In (b), since the officials’ jurisdiction has ended, no penalty is assessed. (3-4-15; 2-2-4; 10-4-1h)

This one is awesome! I can't wait to stick around after every close game just so I can call it!!
Old Fri Oct 14, 2005, 10:58am
Official Forum Member

Most of these are common sense and I think many of us would interpret or have interpreted these things the same way.

I have got to tell you though that Situation #10 is a pretty wierd. Ball is in the air for a shot when B run OOB to avoid screens. We blow the whistle, if it scores we ignore it and if it doesnt we give the ball back to A.

My other question, when a kid has to change a shirt due to blood and has to go to the locker room who goes with him since we dont send kids by them selves to the locker room. They may be so dispondent from being taken out of the game for the blood rule that they may go into the locker room and inflcit harm to themselves.

Now when we make a player take their illegal undershirt off they'll get a T because they did it at the bench- Give me a break
Old Fri Oct 14, 2005, 11:05am
M.A.S.H.

Situation 10:

If this happens during a throw-in for Team A. I'm taking it you blow it dead and give Team A a new 5 second count??
Old Fri Oct 14, 2005, 11:10am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by tjones1
Situation 10:

If this happens during a throw-in for Team A. I'm taking it you blow it dead and give Team A a new 5 second count??
Nope, it's a different rule for a throw-in. Rule 9-2-11--which hasn't changed..It's an official warning followed by a T for a re-occurance.
Old Fri Oct 14, 2005, 11:17am
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
Originally posted by tjones1
Situation 10:

Nope, it's a different rule for a throw-in. Rule 9-2-11--which hasn't changed..It's an official warning followed by a T for a re-occurance.
Thanks JR, I'm glad I double checked.