View Single Post
Old Fri Oct 14, 2005, 08:19am
Official Forum Member

Advantage?

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by JosephG678
SITUATION 9: A1 recovers a loose ball on the playing court near the sideline, with his/her body entirely in bounds. However, A1’s head is hovering out of bounds and his/her hair (which is in a long ponytail) is touching the floor, out of bounds. RULING: A1 is called for the out-of-bounds violation. (7-1-1; 7-1-2; 9-3-1)
Whew. I'm glad to get this straightened out! I've been laying awake nights worrying about it!

Quote:
Originally posted by JosephG678
SITUATION 11: The score is tied 60-60 with four seconds remaining in the game. A1 has a fast break and is near the free-throw line on his/her way to an uncontested lay-up. B5, running down the court near the sideline, intentionally runs out of bounds in the hopes of getting a leaving-the-floor violation called. RULING: B5’s intentional violation should be ignored and A1’s activity should continue without interruption. COMMENT: Non-contact, away from the ball, illegal defensive violations (i.e. excessively swinging the elbows, leaving the floor for an unauthorized reason) specifically designed to stop the clock near the end of a period or take away a clear advantageous position by the offense should be temporarily ignored. The defensive team should not benefit from the tactic. If time is not a factor, the defense should be penalized with the violation or a technical foul for unsporting behavior. (9-3-2; 10-1-8)
This IS a significant ruling. I'm glad they published it, and glad they came down this way.

[Edited by rainmaker on Oct 13th, 2005 at 08:11 PM]
I think its also a good point about advantage/disadvantage.

In basketball more than any other sport that is so important.

Guy steals the ball gets a touch foul as he heads for an easy layup and young official blows the play dead ... coach has the right to complain, let em play etc., as he wants the two points.

And this clarifies about action away from the ball, although I'd be hard pressed to find an official who would call one of these unusual calls.

thanks
David