View Single Post
Old Thu Oct 13, 2005, 02:45pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by JosephG678
SITUATION 7: Only a few seconds remain in the second quarter. Team A is advancing the ball from backcourt to frontcourt. A1 is driving toward his/her basket and is about to dunk the ball when the horn sounds to end the first half. Shortly after the horn sounds, A1 dunks the ball and hangs on to the rim. RULING: A1 is assessed a technical foul for dunking a dead ball. The foul is also charged indirectly to the head coach.

Why isn't this 2 T's? One for dunking a dead ball and one for hanging on the rim? I'd like to just ignore it if it was fairly close to the buzzer. But if you're going to pull out the T, how can you ignore the hanging? It would certainly be a T during play. I would rather rule that the dunk was ok b/c it was just a continuation of the play already in progress and that the T was for the hanging on the rim.

Well, there's only one official that I know that would call 2 T's on this play.... C'mon down, MTD Sr. Geeze,if A1 hadda jumped off A2's back, we coulda had 4 T's.

Fwiw, I agree completely with you. Ignore the dunk and penalize the hanging on the rim.

Just thinking again about this one. Technically, it happened during the intermission, didn't it? Huh, didn't it? Does that mean you give the A head coach 2 indirect T's under R10-3-4PENALTY?

[Edited by Jurassic Referee on Oct 13th, 2005 at 03:53 PM]