The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Oct 05, 2005, 11:53am
Official Forum Member

when is it too late to correct??? since it's not a correctable error, if you are notified that the wrong team has or is getting the ball
A)if you haven't given it to them, still legal to switch and give to the right team

B)if you have handed them the ball oob, but they haven't thrown it in yet?? legal or not to give to right team??

C)if ball is in bounds alreaady? definitely illegal to change and just tell the coach they will get the next 2 out of 3..
Old Wed Oct 05, 2005, 11:59am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Any time before the ball is legally touched in-bounds. Once it's in, and the clock is running, it's tough. As Padgett always points out, you mollify the shafted coach by saying, "Yup we goofed. I'll give you the next two out of three." Which is true if you're following the rules.

Then be sure the arrow really does get switched so the previously shafted coach doesn't end up feeling gang-banged.

Most of all, remember that this is not officially a Correctable Error. It can be fixed up until the ball is inbounded, but you can't apply rule 2.10. And there are no do-overs on this one either. It's just Tough Beans for everyone.

(See my current series of articles on the paid side of this website.)
Old Fri Oct 07, 2005, 03:13am
Official Forum Member

Just read 6.4.1 Situation D.
Old Mon Oct 10, 2005, 11:57am
Official Forum Member

A slightly different twist

I had this come up in the last game I did. Team A was awarded possession on held ball. Team A coach called time-out to set up an offensive play. During the time-out, we checked to make sure the arrow was correct and it was not so Team B would be awarded the ball. We notified each team of the mistake seconds before the time-out ended. Team A coach said, according to the rules, he should not be charged a time-out (he was also a referee) since he called it under the assumption that they had the ball. Neither one of us had heard about this and proceeded with the game without giving back his time-out. He and my partner were acquianted so he didn't argue about it but still insisted it was a rule.

Anybody know of a rule that "gives back" a time-out in this situation?

Old Mon Oct 10, 2005, 12:06pm
Official Forum Member

Re: A slightly different twist

Quote:
Originally posted by Rizzo21
I had this come up in the last game I did. Team A was awarded possession on held ball. Team A coach called time-out to set up an offensive play. During the time-out, we checked to make sure the arrow was correct and it was not so Team B would be awarded the ball. We notified each team of the mistake seconds before the time-out ended. Team A coach said, according to the rules, he should not be charged a time-out (he was also a referee) since he called it under the assumption that they had the ball. Neither one of us had heard about this and proceeded with the game without giving back his time-out. He and my partner were acquianted so he didn't argue about it but still insisted it was a rule.

Anybody know of a rule that "gives back" a time-out in this situation?

No such rule. That's just silly.
Old Mon Oct 10, 2005, 12:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Then be sure the arrow really does get switched so the previously shafted coach doesn't end up feeling gang-banged.
I love it when you talk dirty!
Old Mon Oct 10, 2005, 01:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Quote:
I love it when you talk dirty!
Just getting in touch with my inner little boy...
Old Mon Oct 10, 2005, 01:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I just realized that this is incorrect. What needs to happen to the arrow, after the wrong team got the ball, is that the arrow DOESN"T get switched. It was pointed at A, but B got the ball. Leave it at A so they get the next one, or you'll be having a toss-a-thon.

Sorry that wasn't dirty, BktBallRef. My inner little boy is at school right now.
Old Mon Oct 10, 2005, 02:12pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:
My inner little boy is at school right now.
That whole sentence is just wrong...