The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Oct 04, 2005, 08:57am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JohnBark
last night this happened. A1 attempts a free throw and the shot only hits the backboard and NOT the rim. my partner blows is dead for not hitting the rim. A's coach doesn't like the call. i was lead, so i wasn't watching the ball. i tell the coach if it didn't hit the rim, it's the correct all.

however, reading the rulebook on when a free throws, it also says touching the backboard. so, was it the correct all? or should play been allowed to continue since it only hit the backboard?

thanks!
Old Tue Oct 04, 2005, 09:04am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
9-1-3. Your partner was right.

Coach was wrong. Anybody surprised?
Old Tue Oct 04, 2005, 09:12am
Official Forum Member

it is a FT violation if the ball does not touch the ring. good call by your partner. the coach does not know the rules.
Old Tue Oct 04, 2005, 09:21am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JohnBark
the restrictions...

i read that the restrictions on players is until the ball hits the ring, backboard or until the FT end is 9-10. so, the ball could hit the backboard first,which would allow players to enter the lane and then hit the ring and still be a legal free throw action.

however 9-3 is the rule reference for the FT "He/she shall throw within 10 seconds to cause the ball to enter the basket or touch the ring before the free throw ends."

Old Tue Oct 04, 2005, 09:29am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Re: the restrictions...

Quote:
Originally posted by JohnBark
i read that the restrictions on players is until the ball hits the ring, backboard or until the FT end is 9-10. so, the ball could hit the backboard first,which would allow players to enter the lane and then hit the ring and still be a legal free throw action.
The rule citation is actually 9-1-10, but yes, you're correct. The players may enter the lane once the ball hits the backboard.

Quote:
however 9-3 is the rule reference for the FT "He/she shall throw within 10 seconds to cause the ball to enter the basket or touch the ring before the free throw ends."
Again, the rule is 9-1-3, but again, you're correct.

The players may enter the lane once the ball hits the backboard. But the FT shooter still must hit the rim or else he/she has violated.
Old Wed Oct 05, 2005, 04:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
But the FT shooter still must hit the rim or else he/she has violated.
What if the player makes the shot without hitting the ring?

Oh, what's that JR? I should be cutting Chuck some slack today due his Sox getting thumped 14-2. Ok...