The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Sep 28, 2005, 01:21am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by refTN
Sorry JR using NBA terminology. If you want to call it incidental, marginal, or inconclusive contact, I frankly don't care. Use whatever term makes you happy, by all means, but for the love of god just don't stray off the topic like every post seems to do.

I wasn't straying off the topic. I was just wondering why you were advising us to remember something that's been described in both the NFHS and NCAA rule books for oh, about a million years. I was just wondering too why you don't recommend that people use the terminology of the ruleset that they're working under? I was also just kinda wondering if maybe something new and improved in the world of officiating had occurred that I hadn't heard of yet.

Guess not, eh?

Good advice for a newbie, though, once they get the experience to understand exactly what incidental contact really is supposed to be.

[Edited by Jurassic Referee on Sep 28th, 2005 at 02:29 AM]
Old Wed Sep 28, 2005, 09:05am
Official Forum Member

Thanks for all of the advice. Having a patient whistle is a concern of mine. I heard repeatedly that I have good judgement on what I call and don't call in the summer camps I hit, but I'm worried that I'll be a little quick on the trigger since it's the first weekend I'm working since July or so. I really wish I could have found a tune up, but there's not a lot going on around here at the moment. Another big concern is whether or not my new grey shirt arrives from Official's Choice in time. I thought I'd better get one in case that's what the rest of my crew wants to wear.
Old Wed Sep 28, 2005, 01:36pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to drothamel
I haven't posted in a while, life got a bit complicated there for a minute, but I thought I would chime in since I recently acheived one of my goals of getting hired to work D-3 men's ball.

Junker-- Do what got you there. You were recommended because someone saw you work, and that person liked what they saw. Find out what you did well, and continue to do it well. It isn't necessary to change your whole philosophy or revamp all your mechanics, you should modifying and improving those things a little bit all the time. Just do the things you do well, and work on the things you don't.

One other thing, whoever recommended you for the camp. . .be sure to thank that person. And if you do get hired, MAKE SURE you thank that person, and all of the other people that have helped you along the way. Even if you don't get hired, hopefully you will get some good feedback, which is always worthy of a thank you.