View Single Post
Old Tue Sep 27, 2005, 11:13pm
Official Forum Member

Junker,

Jeffpea hit it right on the nose. When I went to ref NBA players, the pace was so different and I got caught up in the game, had a very,very qick whistle, and was spraying everywhere. Rely heavily on your partners and tell them you're new to this and maybe they will tell you what some guys told a friend of mine when he first broke in, "Jeff just relax, and just get used to the flow of the game, we'll take care of you." I am not going to give you advice because i have no doubt you are older than I, but what these guys have been telling you are all good things. I do say this though, I don't know what kind of juco conference it is and who they are affiliated with, but I know in my program that mechanics are what set you apart from the rest of the pack. So go out there and be the best you can be, and don't worry about trying to be better than this guy or that guy. Good luck.

P.S. Remember the term marginal contact. If contact occurs and it doesn't cause a player to lose possession of the ball or lose it out of bounds, there is no need for a whistle. You don't want fouls of such sort to lead to boring and inactive play. As it says in the manual, "Know the consequence of the contact and call the play accordingly". Good luck again. I hope you get to work lots of college ball.