Originally posted by Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by zebraman
Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
Originally posted by truerookie
yes, in both scenerio NFHS 4-15-4c; 4-15-2
Nope, there's nothing illegal about the first scenario. It's not an illegal dribble until A1 touches it again after ending his original dribble. Deecee has the right answer.

Rule 9-5.
I beg to differ. A dribble is started by pushing the ball to the floor (4-15-3). It doesn't say you have to touch it again for it to be a dribble. If you judge that the player was dribbling - violation.

Check out case 4.15.4 Situation A. Note that the violation occurs when A1 pushes the ball to the floor, not when A1 catches it after it hits the floor.

Z
However a pass is when a player throws, bats or rolls the ball to another player.

If a player bats the ball how do you differentiate between a pass & a dribble?
Based on 4.15.4 Situation A, I'd say that a referee's judgment is required.

Z
So I can judge a bounce pass is a double dribble?
You could, but it would be pretty poor judgement. I'm not trying to be a jerk. How do you interpret 4.15.4 Sit A?

Z
You agree it's bad judgement yet you still focus on the words in 4.15.4 sit A.

If you were comfortable with the words then you would have no problem with the occasional bounce pass being whistled as an illegal dribble.

So, to answer your question: I don't care what 4.15.4 sit A says, it does not reflect the intent of the rules.

If A1 bats the ball to the ground after he's used his dribble I do not have an illegal dribble until he "completes" the dribble by touching it again. That is because I must eliminate the possibility that A1 passed the ball, which is perfectly legal.
Old Fri Sep 23, 2005, 09:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

If you were comfortable with the words then you would have no problem with the occasional bounce pass being whistled as an illegal dribble.

So, to answer your question: I don't care what 4.15.4 sit A says, it does not reflect the intent of the rules.

If A1 bats the ball to the ground after he's used his dribble I do not have an illegal dribble until he "completes" the dribble by touching it again. That is because I must eliminate the possibility that A1 passed the ball, which is perfectly legal.
I think it's pretty obvious (using judgment) in most cases of whether a player is trying to pass or dribble. I can't remember a case where I couldn't tell which one the player was attempting.

The intent of the double dribble rule is to prevent a player from dribbling again after completing a dribble. Since the rules specifically state that a dribble starts when a player pushes the ball to the floor, it seems logical that the violation occurs when the referee judges that a second dribble was started. I'm still waiting for someone to show a rule or case that says otherwise.

Z
Old Fri Sep 23, 2005, 10:01am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Quote:

I think it's pretty obvious (using judgment) in most cases of whether a player is trying to pass or dribble. I can't remember a case where I couldn't tell which one the player was attempting.

The intent of the double dribble rule is to prevent a player from dribbling again after completing a dribble. Since the rules specifically state that a dribble starts when a player pushes the ball to the floor, it seems logical that the violation occurs when the referee judges that a second dribble was started. I'm still waiting for someone to show a rule or case that says otherwise.

Z
Then why is it bad judgement to whistle a bounce pass as an illegal dribble? Using your reasoning bounce passes would be illegal if a player ended his dribble.

Anyway, I'm not all that concerned if you believe me or not, or if someone provides words from the book to convince you. Of course I already gave you a rule which gives 3 ways to start a pass, 1 of which is exactly the same as the start of a dribble. If you can't accept that then that's ok with me.

Old Fri Sep 23, 2005, 10:04am
Esteemed Participant

Come on now, Dan...do you really think it's that hard to tell the difference between the start of a dribble and a bounce pass to a teammate? The only time I can see holding the whistle until he/she touches it again is the situation where the player might throw it way out ahead of them and then run and get it themselves...otherwise, a new dribble and a bounce pass just aren't that similiar looking...
Old Fri Sep 23, 2005, 10:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rockyroad
Come on now, Dan...do you really think it's that hard to tell the difference between the start of a dribble and a bounce pass to a teammate? The only time I can see holding the whistle until he/she touches it again is the situation where the player might throw it way out ahead of them and then run and get it themselves...otherwise, a new dribble and a bounce pass just aren't that similiar looking...
After ending his dribble A1 bats the ball to the floor but does not touch it. A2, standing nearby, catches the ball after a few bounces.

Double dribble?
Old Fri Sep 23, 2005, 11:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
After ending his dribble A1 bats the ball to the floor but does not touch it. A2, standing nearby, catches the ball after a few bounces.

Double dribble?
You're really trying to make this more difficult than it is. If you felt that the bat was the start of a dribble, you whistle the violation when the ball hits the floor. If you felt it was a pass, you have nothing. Pretty basic stuff.

Z
Old Fri Sep 23, 2005, 11:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Double dribble?
You're really trying to make this more difficult than it is. If you felt that the bat was the start of a dribble, you whistle the violation when the ball hits the floor. If you felt it was a pass, you have nothing. Pretty basic stuff.

Z
As I already said I do NOT whistle this when the ball hits the floor.

As I already said feel free to do so at your games.
Old Fri Sep 23, 2005, 01:46pm
Official Forum Member

Technically, the violation occurs on the release of the new dribble and is based solely on whether the release was intended to be a dribble or not. Practially, we often wait for the next touch as confirmation that it was indeed a dribble.