The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Sep 23, 2005, 04:44pm
Official Forum Member

One point that I was trying to make is. The Coach for team B could be screaming at you because the shot clock has already rolled off ten seconds when he looks at it. When actually team A only had control of the ball for 10 seconds. Common sense would say that there was a back court violation. Which I could see a coach assuming if he did not pay attention to when the player/team control actually started.

This is off topic but to my understanding the NBA which has different rules and mechanics use the non visual count on the back court count and use the shot clock for verification of a 8 second back court violation. Thats why I was really wondering.
Old Fri Sep 23, 2005, 04:48pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by afrothunda
One point that I was trying to make is. The Coach for team B could be screaming at you because the shot clock has already rolled off ten seconds when he looks at it. When actually team A only had control of the ball for 10 seconds. Common sense would say that there was a back court violation. Which I could see a coach assuming if he did not pay attention to when the player/team control actually started.

This is off topic but to my understanding the NBA which has different rules and mechanics use the non visual count on the back court count and use the shot clock for verification of a 8 second back court violation. Thats why I was really wondering.
I don't know about the nba mechancs but I do agree that if that shot clock gets down to 25 with A still in the backcourt coach B is going to let you know about it and he will not care about the rules. He just wants the ball back.

(Maybe this needs to get added to that huge "Most misunderstood list"...nah, it's got enough things on it already.)
Old Fri Sep 23, 2005, 05:30pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by PS2Man
My point is simply that the starting of the shot clock and the starting of the game clock are not one in the same as it relates to if you have a 10 second violation.
The game clock starts when the ball is touched inbounds by a player on the court.

According to the rule that Dan posted earlier, the shot clock starts when the ball is touched inbounds by a player on the court.

Why aren't these the same. . .?
Old Fri Sep 23, 2005, 05:33pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by afrothunda
This is off topic but to my understanding the NBA which has different rules and mechanics use the non visual count on the back court count and use the shot clock for verification of a 8 second back court violation.
That's correct and the 8 second count starts when the ball is touched inbounds, not when a player on the court gains control.

Why?

Because in the NBA, team control begins when the inbounder has the ball for the throw-in. So as soon the ball is touched by an offensive player in the backcourt, the 8 second count begins (since there is already team control).

If the ball is first touched by a defender, then I believe a loose ball situation is created and there is no longer any team control, so the count would not be started. I think.
Old Sat Sep 24, 2005, 06:29am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to crazy voyager
this is ot but I wonder, do you in the US have 30 second shot clock and 10 seconds half court? Cause it's 24 and 8 in FIBA (and NBA, right?)
Old Sat Sep 24, 2005, 09:46am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by crazy voyager
this is ot but I wonder, do you in the US have 30 second shot clock and 10 seconds half court? Cause it's 24 and 8 in FIBA (and NBA, right?)
Pro rules are 24/8
NCAA mens is 35/10
NCAA womens is 30 with no count in the backcourt.
NFHS (High school) is no shot clock and 10 second count in the backcourt. However, some states have adopted a shot clock for HS games, usually based on the ncaa mens or womens version.