Old Wed Sep 14, 2005, 02:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
If you can read the whole rulebook, what stops you from cutting it and pasting it? Is it in some format that doesn't allow cutting? I've never heard of that.
I don't have a clue what software,firewall,whatever the FED uses to stop you from downloading(printing)
I'm not talking about downloading. I'm talking about cutting (Ctrl-C) and pasting (Ctrl-V). What could prevent your computer from moving text to the clipboard? I'm just curious. I've never heard of that capability.

And I do buy the rulebooks. My IAABO dues get me the rulebook, casebook and manual every year, Mr. Smartypants.
Now boys, that's quite enough of the name-calling.

Actually, I've been in their rules section, and it is possible to do the Copy and Paste functions that Chuck mentions. But what makes it not very useful is how it set up. First, you bring up a window that shows the rules sections. Then you click on the rule you want to look at (like say, for example, Rule 9 - Violations and Penalties, so you can look up whether a player can soccer-kick a ball from OOB...), then you have to click on each section under that rule, and so on, until you get to the sentence or paragraph. If that's not the section you want, you then go back to the previous sections and try another. You would spend a lot of time copying more than one section. The books are DEFINITELY easier to read and navigate.

Now Chuck, I realize the rule book and case book come out every year, but how do you manage to get the manual every year as well? Mine only comes every other year. So how do you rate, Mr. Know-It-All?

(Used with permission.)
Old Wed Sep 14, 2005, 02:25pm
Official Forum Member

Chuck, the capability exists. There are many sites where you can't cut and paste or otherwise save any of their graphics or photos. It's not unusual at all.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Wed Sep 14, 2005, 03:12pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by M&M Guy
I realize the rule book and case book come out every year, but how do you manage to get the manual every year as well? Mine only comes every other year. So how do you rate, Mr. Know-It-All?
I thought there wasn't going to be any more name-calling, Mr. Hypocrite!

IAABO provides one book every year that contains the IAABO handbook, the rulebook, the casebook, and a mechanics manual. Until last year, they just reprinted the old manual in years that it wasn't updated. However, last year, IAABO inserted their own 2-whistle manual and deleted the Fed portion of the manual. It was insinuated at the Denver meeting that the FED wants to get out of the business of printing a mechanics manual and that it would be left completely up to IAABO to supply a mechanics manual for high school basketball. That doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me, since the FED makes money by selling books, but that's what was said.
Old Wed Sep 14, 2005, 03:35pm
Official Forum Member

AMazing wht a rulebook and a scanner can do.
Old Wed Sep 14, 2005, 03:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I thought there wasn't going to be any more name-calling, Mr. Hypocrite!
Hey, I was talking about you guys; I didn't include myself in that command.

We get our Genuine, 100% Official National Federation publications through our state association (Illinois) after we've paid our dues. We get 3 books every season - a Rules Book and Case Book for that season, a Handbook every even-numbered year, and the Official's Manual every odd-numbered year.

It's interesting you said the NF is wanting to get out of printing a mechanics manual. I wonder if they just aren't making enough back to cover their costs. I can't imagine they want to not send this info out, especially to younger officials.

So how will the rest of us non-IAABO members every find out the right way of doing things? Is this just a subtle attempt by the IAABO to take over the entire country? Hey, you didn't by any chance get to the meeting in Denver in one of those large, black helicopters, did you Mr. Travel-All-Over-the-Country?

(Used with permission.)
Old Wed Sep 14, 2005, 03:59pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
[/B]
And I do buy the rulebooks. My IAABO dues get me the rulebook, casebook and manual every year, Mr. Smartypants. [/B][/QUOTE]The NFHS manual or the IAABO manual? Iow, the one that's right or the IAABO manual?
Old Wed Sep 14, 2005, 04:11pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
However, last year, IAABO inserted their own 2-whistle manual and deleted the Fed portion of the manual. It was insinuated at the Denver meeting that the FED wants to get out of the business of printing a mechanics manual and that it would be left completely up to IAABO to supply a mechanics manual for high school basketball.

[/B]
I've read the IAABO mechanics manual. It's funny.

Now, being a real live certified IAABO board rules interpreter, Chuck,I realize that ya gotta drink the kool-aid, but.....you are kidding right? IAABO is not gonna let their 1,000,000 monkeys with typewriters loose again to write a mechanics manual for the rest of us, are they? Please say it ain't so. That would be the end of life as we know it.
Old Wed Sep 14, 2005, 04:22pm
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Chuck, the capability exists. There are many sites where you can't cut and paste or otherwise save any of their graphics or photos. It's not unusual at all.
Hmmm, the only way I know of is if there were .pdf files. I'm going to have to log in and see what's going on. As far as graphics or photos (not being able to right click), that's easy to get around.
Old Wed Sep 14, 2005, 05:34pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Just to be clear about my earlier post: The mechanics manual that we normally get from IAABO is the FED manual. Last year, however, IAABO replaced the 2-whistle portion of the FED manual with their own and distributed it with the FED rulebook and casebook.

Quote:
you are kidding right? IAABO is not gonna let their 1,000,000 monkeys with typewriters loose again to write a mechanics manual for the rest of us, are they? Please say it ain't so. That would be the end of life as we know it.
It's not that different. I'm pretty sure that there are only two differences in the 2-whistle portion (which is the only portion I've seen).

First, IAABO mechanics call for the "old" time-out positions: one official with the ball at the spot and the other official at the midcourt line.

Second, when the ball goes OOB in the frontcourt on the Lead's sideline above the FT line extended, FED mechanics say the Lead switches to the Trail position and administers the FT, b/c it was his sideline to begin with. (Obviously, the Trail switches to be the new Lead.) The IAABO mechanic is for the old Trail to administer the throw-in and the old Lead to assume his new position on the opposite side of the FT lane.

Those don't seem like very "funny" differences to me. I could live with either option.
Old Wed Sep 14, 2005, 07:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
If you can read the whole rulebook, what stops you from cutting it and pasting it? Is it in some format that doesn't allow cutting? I've never heard of that.
I don't have a clue what software,firewall,whatever the FED uses to stop you from downloading(printing)
I'm not talking about downloading. I'm talking about cutting (Ctrl-C) and pasting (Ctrl-V). What could prevent your computer from moving text to the clipboard? I'm just curious. I've never heard of that capability.

And I do buy the rulebooks. My IAABO dues get me the rulebook, casebook and manual every year, Mr. Smartypants.
If they use flash or some such technology, it will not be selectable text. If you cant select it, you can't copy it. You could always resort to a screenshot :|