The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Sep 13, 2005, 08:52pm
Official Forum Member

Where can I find the place to cut and paste rules or case book passages to put in an E-Mail?
Old Tue Sep 13, 2005, 09:31pm
Official Forum Member

No place. You can only get them from the ARS CD.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Tue Sep 13, 2005, 10:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Or spend all your free time reading and typing.

You should see the blisters I have on the tips of the two fingers I use to type. Wanna see which fingers?

(Used with permission.)
Old Wed Sep 14, 2005, 08:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Can't you get them from the NFHS web-site now? (If you know what you're looking for). I seem to recall a post that they were there, but I haven't really checked.

Old Wed Sep 14, 2005, 08:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bob jenkins
Quote:
Can't you get them from the NFHS web-site now? (If you know what you're looking for). I seem to recall a post that they were there, but I haven't really checked.

Yes, but my understnading is that you cannot copy and paste from the site.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Wed Sep 14, 2005, 09:28am
M.A.S.H.

Where are they located on their site?
Old Wed Sep 14, 2005, 10:48am
Official Forum Member

From the main site go to Sports and Rules information. From their go to Online Publications.

You need to be an NFHS member, but as an IHSA official, you are already a member. You may have to figure out your login information to complete your access.
Old Wed Sep 14, 2005, 11:15am
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
Originally posted by Grail
From the main site go to Sports and Rules information. From their go to Online Publications.

You need to be an NFHS member, but as an IHSA official, you are already a member. You may have to figure out your login information to complete your access.
Thanks Grail
Old Wed Sep 14, 2005, 11:16am
Official Forum Member

Not really,

There seems to be some confusion with FED "cut & paste".

To be a "FEDERATION Member" you must be a school. Individual officials are not "members" of FED.

All schools that are "members" of FED have the availability to have an electronic version of all FED documents. These can be used in many ways.

FED still professes to their original stand:

"Since the National Federation of High Schools runs no national tournamnets (i.e. as does the NCAA) a large portion of our operational budget comes from the sales of all of our rules books and manuals.

"The NFHS at this time has no plan to make rules books, case books, or officiating manuals available on line where they can be copied and distributed in violation of our copywrite."

So if any of you find different information PLEASE inform us all.

Thanks,

T
Old Wed Sep 14, 2005, 12:12pm
In Memoriam

Re: Yup, really,

Quote:
Originally posted by Tim C

To be a "FEDERATION Member" you must be a school. Individual officials are not "members" of FED.

All schools that are "members" of FED have the availability to have an electronic version of all FED documents. These can be used in many ways.

FED still professes to their original stand:

"Since the National Federation of High Schools runs no national tournamnets (i.e. as does the NCAA) a large portion of our operational budget comes from the sales of all of our rules books and manuals.

"The NFHS at this time has no plan to make rules books, case books, or officiating manuals available on line where they can be copied and distributed in violation of our copywrite."

So if any of you find different information PLEASE inform us all.

OK, I'll inform you.

You don't have to be a "school" to be an NFHS member.You can also be a member of an Officials Association.

At nfhs.org, you'll see a menu on the left hand side. If you click on "Forms and Applications", that will take you to "Membership Applications"--- on there you will see "Officials Associations"--click that and it takes you to a membership form for officials along with an explanation. You might already be a member through your state association, but if not, you can still join if you become or are a member of an affiliated officials association.

Your NFHS membership still only allows you to view the on-line rule and case books. You aren't allowed to download any part of them though. As Tee said, if you want hard copies, you have to buy the books.
Old Wed Sep 14, 2005, 12:21pm
Official Forum Member

JR,

Thank you.

That is what I was trying to say.

Let us put it this way:

There are TWO types of members. Each type has a different relationship with the NFHS.

Your local high school member has a cyber version of the rules that THEY CAN cut paste and copy.

Your local individual member has access to the the cyber rules but you MUST BUY books (or type the section being posted) and are unable to cut and paste their books.

Again JR, thanks.
Old Wed Sep 14, 2005, 12:39pm
In Memoriam

Re: JR,

Quote:
Originally posted by Tim C
Thank you.

That is what I was trying to say.

Let us put it this way:

There are TWO types of members. Each type has a different relationship with the NFHS.

Your local high school member has a cyber version of the rules that THEY CAN cut paste and copy.

Your local individual member has access to the the cyber rules but you MUST BUY books (or type the section being posted) and are unable to cut and paste their books.

Again JR, thanks.
Yup, just a small clarification, Tim. I knew we were on the same page.

Old Wed Sep 14, 2005, 12:40pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
If you can read the whole rulebook, what stops you from cutting it and pasting it? Is it in some format that doesn't allow cutting? I've never heard of that.
Old Wed Sep 14, 2005, 12:53pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
If you can read the whole rulebook, what stops you from cutting it and pasting it? Is it in some format that doesn't allow cutting? I've never heard of that.
I don't have a clue what software,firewall,whatever the FED uses to stop you from downloading(printing) something you are reading outa the rule or case book on their web site. There's a question on their web site FAQ that says "Why am I not able to print the information online?". The FED answer just sez that the material is copyrighted and is NOT to be reprinted,and if you really want a printed copy, buy the damn books,cheapo.
Old Wed Sep 14, 2005, 01:56pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
I don't have a clue what software,firewall,whatever the FED uses to stop you from downloading(printing)
I'm not talking about downloading. I'm talking about cutting (Ctrl-C) and pasting (Ctrl-V). What could prevent your computer from moving text to the clipboard? I'm just curious. I've never heard of that capability.

And I do buy the rulebooks. My IAABO dues get me the rulebook, casebook and manual every year, Mr. Smartypants.