The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Sep 18, 2005, 09:27pm
Official Forum Member

Speaking of crossed signals, does anyone use their left arm/hand for a foul call and right arm/hand for violation (or vice-versa)?
Old Sun Sep 18, 2005, 09:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Texas Aggie
Speaking of crossed signals, does anyone use their left arm/hand for a foul call and right arm/hand for violation (or vice-versa)?
Yes, I use both left and right fists depending on where I'm standing.
Old Sun Sep 18, 2005, 09:42pm
Official Forum Member

Never heard of changing hands for violations and fouls. I am working on always doing mechanics with my outside arm to make it easier for the table and coaches to see. That's one of my areas I want to work on this season.
Old Sun Sep 18, 2005, 09:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Junker
Never heard of changing hands for violations and fouls. I am working on always doing mechanics with my outside arm to make it easier for the table and coaches to see. That's one of my areas I want to work on this season.
oh whoops, is he saying you use one hand for violations and one for fouls? If so I don't do that, I use the hand depending on where I'm standing.
Old Mon Sep 19, 2005, 02:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I always use my left fist for fouls. However, for violations, I use either.
Old Mon Sep 19, 2005, 08:15am
Official Forum Member

Cameron, can I ask why you do this and how you came to do it? Was it a suggestion at a camp?
Old Mon Sep 19, 2005, 09:18am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by Camron Rust
Quote:
I've been trying for a couple of years to develop this habit, but it's real slow in developing. The reason is that with a violation (especially oob), it's about 50/50 which direction the ball will be going. If you signal with the "wrong" hand, you end up looking dorky when you signal staying at the same end. But someone pointed out to me that if you signal with the hand closest to the table, it's very smooth to just use the same hand that goes up. But old habits die hard. I'm always so busy thinking about other aspects of the game, that "which hand" takes a low priority.
Old Mon Sep 19, 2005, 11:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:
Quote:
I've been trying for a couple of years to develop this habit, but it's real slow in developing. The reason is that with a violation (especially oob), it's about 50/50 which direction the ball will be going. If you signal with the "wrong" hand, you end up looking dorky when you signal staying at the same end. But someone pointed out to me that if you signal with the hand closest to the table, it's very smooth to just use the same hand that goes up. But old habits die hard. I'm always so busy thinking about other aspects of the game, that "which hand" takes a low priority.
It looks even better to not go across your body and use the opposite hand. It may take some getting use to and some thinking but once you start doing it you'll get good at it.
Old Mon Sep 19, 2005, 05:29pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Just don't raise both hands if it is a double violation.
Old Mon Sep 19, 2005, 08:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Cameron, can I ask why you do this and how you came to do it? Was it a suggestion at a camp?
Yes...a camp suggestion (for the violations). For fouls, it's just habit. No real need for specific hands on a foul since your focus should remain on the fouler/foulee for the immediate time and you're not typically indicating a direction (until this year's signal for team control foul).
Old Mon Sep 19, 2005, 08:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Yes...a camp suggestion (for the violations). For fouls, it's just habit. No real need for specific hands on a foul since your focus should remain on the fouler/foulee for the immediate time and you're not typically indicating a direction (until this year's signal for team control foul).
I disagree, it does matter, although it is an advanced thing to do. Use your outside hand to call a foul, this way it "opens" you up to the play, it sounds wierd but definitely a little thing that only officials would notice. I know I'd notice if a guy was doing this and it looks sharp, but again a minor thing.
Old Wed Sep 21, 2005, 06:16am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to crazy voyager
Quote:
erhm, I've got no idea. I use a hand, some hand- and don't think about it anymore. I guess I mostly use right hand though.

Do you think it's a good idea to begin developing a system using the left hand (when it's oob) if the ball is going to your right and vice-versa?
Old Wed Sep 21, 2005, 07:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Snake~eyes
Quote:
Quote:
I disagree, it does matter, although it is an advanced thing to do. Use your outside hand to call a foul, this way it "opens" you up to the play, it sounds wierd but definitely a little thing that only officials would notice. I know I'd notice if a guy was doing this and it looks sharp, but again a minor thing.
When I'm raising my arm for a foul, the play is over and I'm squared up to the point of the foul. Neither hand will alter the view of the relevant play.
Old Thu Oct 06, 2005, 01:52pm
Official Forum Member

Wow, for your first game sounds like you are doing ok. I am struggling. Have done 3 games this season and at least once in each game I have made an unsure call. I end up looking like an idiot and the coaches really start yelling then.

After coaching and playing the game the last 15 years I thought officiating would come fairly easily. I keep watching the Varsity games and just admiring the automation of their calls. How long does it take before things become a little more automatic????
Old Thu Oct 06, 2005, 02:07pm
Official & Member

Quote:
How long does it take before things become a little more automatic???? [/B]
Seems like it took me about three seasons before it just kinda came "automatically". Maybe I'm just a slow learner. Just a matter of building confidence...that's what freshman & JV games are for.