Thread: My First Game
View Single Post
Old Fri Sep 09, 2005, 07:50am
Official Forum Member

Second game

Girls start in the Fall here in Michigan (unless the courts decide otherwise) so it’s nice to get going already.

Thanks for all the suggestions. Did my second game (JV) last night and it was a little tougher/uglier. Lots more contact, one of the coaches was more “excitable” shall I say. Called a lot of fouls first half then ran into the Varsity game officials at the half who had observed the second quarter. They reminded us to talk more to the girls before calling all the fouls. Sure enough we did talk more in the second half and things settled down a bit. They also stated the one coach was on the floor a lot, something I wasn’t even paying attention to. We addressed that second half and all was well. Also, as trail on free throws, I was standing too far back and heading down court too soon on the misses (forgetting that I shouldn’t assume the defense will always get the rebound).

Observed my partner and the referee duties a little closer. He does the captains meeting at 7:00 and the meet and greet coaches with just 1:00 before the horn. I’m sure you all are right, the captains aren’t really listening much and my partner didn’t make it very long.

Great time again, learned a little more about diplomacy with the one coach (the other coach never said a word to us but his squad won handily) and earned some more mad money. The only downer was that I have to wait a week to work another game (as Referee this time).