The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Aug 25, 2005, 04:49am
Official Forum Member

Hey guys, i'm looking to maintain my fitness for next season, any one know any good drills all i have done in previous years is the beep test i've got upto 18 and don't think im getting any further i'd like to try something new. Any ideas?
Old Thu Aug 25, 2005, 06:59am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
It's gonna sound boring, but the best fitness drills ever invented were the combination of jumping rope, sit-ups and push-ups. Jump 1,000 times, 100 sit-ups, 30 push-ups; that's a good starting point.
Old Thu Aug 25, 2005, 07:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by aussie_ref
Hey guys, i'm looking to maintain my fitness for next season, any one know any good drills all i have done in previous years is the beep test i've got upto 18 and don't think im getting any further i'd like to try something new. Any ideas?
Aussie, what is the beep test?
Old Thu Aug 25, 2005, 08:52am
Official Forum Member

I've been running stairs at the HS football stadium and it's giving me alot of additional power. It forces me to use my arms, good cardio, strengthens my legs and improves footwork as I change me cadence each time up and down. 1, 2 or 3 stairs at a time and sometimes just put my toes on the step and really burn those calves.

I don't recommend overdoing it the first couple of times as I had a hard time walking on "jello-legs" the next day.
Old Thu Aug 25, 2005, 09:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
It's gonna sound boring, but the best fitness drills ever invented were the combination of jumping rope, sit-ups and push-ups. Jump 1,000 times, 100 sit-ups, 30 push-ups; that's a good starting point.
That's easy - I can finish those in just under 3 days. Then, I relax the rest of the week.

Seriously, running is important as well. But I found just "straight" running, or jogging on a treadmill isn't enough for me. If you notice when you actually ref a game, you do a lot of sideways movements, running with your head turned back, etc., and not a lot of just straight running. So I try to duplicate those types of movements when I run. Just be careful when you run while looking back over your shoulder...

(Used with permission.)
Old Thu Aug 25, 2005, 10:11am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref

From what I know about this beep test the best way to prepare is to become a cardio-bunny with an emphasis on strengthening the legs & butt. Add some serious hill or stairs work to your run.

Old Thu Aug 25, 2005, 11:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref

the best way to prepare is to become a cardio-bunny
Can you insert a picture of you working out in your outfit?

(Used with permission.)
Old Thu Aug 25, 2005, 11:21am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by M&M Guy
Quote:

I'm on the left...

Old Thu Aug 25, 2005, 11:47am
Official Forum Member

Ok, I'm sorry I asked.

(Used with permission.)
Old Thu Aug 25, 2005, 12:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I'm on the left...

You sure can draw the babes.
Old Thu Aug 25, 2005, 12:59pm
Official Forum Member

I do some interval running (run hard for a minute, walk for a minute) to begin to get ready. I lift weights year round, but in the month or two before the season I so a lot of one legged exercises to strenthen my ankles and such for the pounding they take. I have also worked with a weighted jump rope, usually one leg at a time also.
Old Thu Aug 25, 2005, 01:41pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisSportsFan
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I'm on the left...

Thanks.

I'm on the right.....
Old Thu Aug 25, 2005, 02:08pm
Official Forum Member

I'm sure some will disagree, but like it or not, true cardio fitness starts and ends with running. I don't know whether Lance Armstrong runs or not, but even if he doesn't, the alternative to running (in his case) is 3 times as long on the bike. And unless you are doing hills, intervals, and moving at a serious pace, you aren't getting the benefits you will from running. Besides, running is a key part of basketball officiating, so the better you are at it, the better you will be as an official in terms of court coverage. Plus, you'll look the part better.

As far as a program, I think its a good idea to adopt an interval (fast followed by slower, then repeat) program. Not only will it get your conditioning going into overdrive, it will burn fat and it mimics the basketball work you do.

Unlike someone just starting out, you should have no trouble being on your feet for an hour straight. Thus, I suggest the following: a light 30 second jog followed by a minute and a half walk. You can make the walk brisk or slower, depending upon your need to recover, but start at this pace and go for at least 40 minutes while working up to an hour. At 40 minutes doing this you should easily cover 2 miles. Maybe more depending on the level you are starting out with. You might want to do a half mile or so walk to warm-up. If so, start out counting that as part of the 40 minutes, but by the time you are running more than you are walking (see below) don't count the warm-up in your overall time.

If you find that pace isn't pushing you, decrease slowly the rest period. I would suggest doing a week at 30 seconds jog/ 1 minute walk (again, brisk or whatever you need). Then, in the weeks to follow, add 5 seconds to your jog and decrease 5 seconds from your walk per week. Another thing you can do is to do one week at 30/1, then then next week run a little faster and walk a little more briskly. Then, do the 5 second add/subtract the next week even if you have to back off your pace.

You will get to a point where you can cover the full 1:30 jogging. At that point, either just work on increasing your intensity or go like 1:45 with a :15 second walk. It might be a better idea to stay at, say, 1:15 jog and :15 walk (or even 1:00 jog/:30 walk) and stay there -- just increase your intensity, especially in the run. THAT will mimic your basketball. If you want to keep running for an hour, I don't think there's anything wrong with that. The only problem is you might put more miles than you really need on your body. But you can deal with that problem if and when it appears.

Don't neglect other stuff. I run/walk in the morning, and hit the weights at night -- 4 nights a week. That's going to be a challenge in season, but you should have 3 nights a week off (or weekends) to get your weight work in. Even if you don't build muscle easily, the weights will add muscle that will in itself burn fat and make you fitter. Plus, it burns calories, and will help you in running.

Go to fitday.com and sign up (its free). You can start keeping track of your intake and exercise and I've found it very useful.
Old Thu Aug 25, 2005, 02:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I'm on the left...

Thanks.

I'm on the right.....
I always figured you two to be a cute couple.

Gawd, now I'm not going to be able to sleep at night with that picture! I guess I'll have to start my running program at night instead of sleeping...

(Used with permission.)
Old Thu Aug 25, 2005, 03:04pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I'm on the left...

Thanks.

I'm on the right.....
I always figured you two to be a cute couple.

Gawd, now I'm not going to be able to sleep at night with that picture! I guess I'll have to start my running program at night instead of sleeping...
Well....have you met our illegitimate son?